KAWASAKI Z900 (2017-on) Review

Published: 08 February 2017

Successor to Z800 evokes famous ‘70s name but, although better all round is unlikely to have the same revolutionary impact – good bike though

KAWASAKI Z900  (2017-on)

• New: £8,249
    Used: £7,000 to £11,000 See all KAWASAKI Z900s for sale

Successor to Z800 ‘intermediate naked’ is now Euro4 compliant and probably 10% better all round – more powerful, lighter and better finished and equipped (although it conspicuously shuns electronic rider aids). For Kawa power four fans that’ll probably be enough. For the rest of us, this class is now closer than ever to call.

New H2R-inspired tubular steel frame helps shed weight dramatically but compared to rivals like the Street Triple and MT-09 the Kawa is still a solid, hefty machine. Steering is lighter and sharper and suspension, with preload/rebound adjustable forks, is reasonable making it nimble enough for most. But pushed hard this remains one of the larger and heavier of ‘intermediate nakeds’.

Euro4 and quest for improvement means old 803cc four is replaced by sleeved-down unit from bigger Z1000. The result is 948cc with a hefty boost in power and torque. It’s a doddle to use, smooth and grunty and, above 6000rpm, thanks to the acoustically tuned airbox, howls like any streetfighter should.

Kawasakis have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years in this respect, most conspicuously with their pleasing use of different finishes and textures – the raised Kawasaki tank badge and crocodile skin effect seat finish are two examples here. As regards reliability, it’s too early to call save that the engine, based on that of the Z1000, is in a fairly soft state of tune and lartely proven, so we’ve little to fear.

The newcomer is £8249 – £350 up on the old Z800. We’re not saying it’s not worth that and you do get a lot of improved bike for your money, but this class is hotting up to one of the most competitive of all with most rivals, albeit ones with fewer cylinder and a less quality finish and details, significantly less.

Although the trend for electronics rider aids has, here, been conspicuously shunned by Kawasaki (the Z900 only comes with the compulsory ABS, possible to help differentiateit from its Z1000 bigger brother and keep it cheaper, too), in most other respects it’s well-equipped with decent clocks, adjustable suspension, span adjustable levers and neat detailing.

2 owners have reviewed their KAWASAKI Z900 (2017-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your KAWASAKI Z900 (2017-on)

Z900 worth the money

18 June 2017 by Pablo

Rear tail tidy had to be replaced ,the factory fitted version is ugly. I also swapped the front cover for a larger meter cover,my opinion,.. it looks cooler and those pesky suicide insects stay off your visor . These two items have cost an additional... Read more £200, when you spend 8k on a new bike, I guess it is irrelevant. Also added a radiator guard ,I just felt that it needed a bit of protection as it will take the brunt of any projectiles flung at it when you are behind those haulage lorries carrying rubble!

I owned a Kawasaki ER6N before purchasing the Z900, four hours riding the ER6N would leave me feeling tired ,.. I could ride the Z900 all day!!
The engine is very responsive, treat it with respect or slip that clutch at 70 mph and you will find heaven very quickly!!
It's a new bike , I'm running it in to the recommended rpm ratio to gearing , not over heating the engine .
This is an area that I need to address , I am fortunate to have a cheaper option.
I have mentioned the accessories that I have added to the bike,..like the digital gear indicator,..takes away the embarrassment in town centres ,..no more trying to pull away in fifth gear.

Bought from a dealer , paid the RRP, but got an additional two years warranty on top of the two years standard warranty.

I love this bike! Z900 for the win!

16 April 2017 by Cervantex

Super Fun and easy to ride. Will turn heads wherever you go. Read more

Front brake amazing. Rear brake I feel I have to make extra effort for it to really bite.
Very smooth and "torquish". Very short gears so you will find your self kicking the gear pedal 6 times to get to 60mph. Remember I am behaving and not going over 4K rpm. I am a novice and I feel I can handle the throttle and power delivery like I am a pro. The sound is amazing, but it does not scream due to all the regulations this motorcycle has to comply with. I will most definitely add a good Exhaust once the time come.
Nothing to point. Everything is as good as the first day. I am doing things right and not going over 5K rpm for the first 1000 miles. Cant wait to discover where the real power is, above 6K rpm. Truth to be said, I have gone to the red line a couple of times red light to red light. Again, very funny.
I have not done any service yet since it is new. 2 weeks only. Leaving 4 stars and the price they gave me in the dealer
I like pretty much everything, but for long rides, I would go with the optional soft sit. I am pretty skinny and my bottom complains after the first hour. My favorite thing is the engine and the looks.

Dealer. I paid 10K for the ABS out of the door (taxes, insurance, etc).

Year introduced 2017
Warranty term 2 years unlimited
Insurance group -
Max torque 72.7 ft-lb
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type Four-stroke, liquid-cooled transverse four.
Frame type Tubular steel.
Front suspension Inverted 41mm forks, preload and rebound damping adjustable.
Rear suspension Single shock, adjustable spring preload.
Front brake 2x300mm petal discs four-piston calipers, ABS .
Rear brake 250mm petal disc, single-piston caliper. ABS .
Front tyre size 120/70x17.
Rear tyre size 180/55x17.

• KAWASAKI Z900  (2017-on)
  • KAWASAKI Z900  (2017-on)