SUZUKI GSR750 (2011-on) Review

Decent 'naked' based on 2005 GSX-R750 powertrain – good value, too

SUZUKI GSR750  (2011-on)

Decent 'naked' based on 2005 GSX-R750 powertrain – good value, too

• £6,999

The GSR750 is an entirely new bike – not just a GSX-R750 with flat bars and no fairing. As you'd expect it’s far more user friendly and practical than the GSX-R, and is designed to compete with Yamaha’s FZ8 and Kawasaki’s Z750.  It delivers supernaked looks in a usable, stylish middleweight body, with the 105bhp 749cc engine offering enough poke to have fun with.

41mm inverted forks control the front end and are adjustable for preload only. On the rear is a Kayaba shock, again only preload adjustment with a seven-way adjuster. Despite the basic suspension and set up it works 90% of the time straight out of the box. It’s easy to ride, predictable and stable. When pushed very hard, its inability to dive into apexes was a slight concern and it also stood up mid-corner if you applied the brakes mid-lean.

The 749cc in-line four-cylinder engine started life in Suzuki’s 2005 GSX-R750. The motor has received a significant makeover to improve low-rpm to midrange performance and torque – at the cost of top end power. Suzuki has adjusted the cam profiles, tailored the valves, inlet and exhaust ports and given the cylinder head iridium spark plugs for improved ignition. The end result is a quoted 105bhp with 59ftlb of torque.

Reliability shouldn’t be an issue from the GSX-R750 derived engine. Suzuki have obviously tried to keep costs low, but there are no glaring areas of shoddy budget manufacturing or componentry.

At £7125 it’s competitively priced, being considerably cheaper than Yamaha’s FZ8 at £7999 but a fraction more expensive than Kawasaki’s standard Z750, at £6649 (Kawasaki’s Z750R comes in at £7149). But the GSR does lose its bargain status when you compare it to Suzuki’s own Bandit 650 at £5725 and the Gladius at £5465

Insurance group: 12 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

As you expect from a ‘budget’ middleweight it’s sparsely decked out. However, inverted forks are a nice touch and Suzuki haven't skimped in terms of styling – the funky design is very European and eye catching. Clocks come with a clear gear position indicator, digital fuel gauge, clock, trip and fuel consumption meter. There are some nice touches too; there are two small loops that are part of the pillion seat which can be used to hold on luggage.

19 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSR750 (2011-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

Update on warranty claim

29 July 2014 by PaulM29

Following on from my last comment of 18 Jun below... The dealer I bought the bike from re-submitted a warranty claim for the second time. As they themselves stated their presentation and reputation probably swayed Suzuki into replacing engine seal... Read more covers on both sides of my GSR750. All due credit to this dealer. In retrospect they think it's been somewhat acidic pre-wash at my local car wash (that jet sprays bikes as well). I'm not sure I agree with that assessment as if that was the case then all casings and bolts around the engine should have had equal levels of corrosion?? I'm certainly now more aware of anti corrosion treatments that I should consider after every exposure to rain or salty roads... I'm thinking of now trading her in at the 2 year point rather than 3 as originally planned.

Update on warranty claim

29 July 2014 by PaulM29

14 months from new - WARNING?

18 June 2014 by Anonymous

An update on my previous review below is now URGENT. If you are thinking about buying this bike - THINK AGAIN. I've just taken my GSR in for what I thought would be a no-brainer warranty replacement of the nearside engine cover. The corrosion... Read more around the bolts on this particular cover is so bad it's on the verge of blowing the gasket as it's dripping oil from the worst of the corroded bolt housings. From some smartphone pics taken by my authorised Suzuki dealer (which would have struggled to show the full extent of the damage) feedback from Suzuki GB is that the bike is suffering from a lack of maintenance and neglect - neither of which is true by the way. Even if I had neglected and had never washed the bike, this particular engine cover should NOT be suffering the level of corrosion it has done. My assessment? This cover is clearly the cheapest alloy casing that Suzuki can procure and is simply not fit for purpose - certainly not fit to last even their own 2 year guarantee period. It is of course meant to last 25 months... The bike is going in for it's 3rd annual service (the service intervals being riduculously short) next week at the dealer I bought it from (a different dealer I should add) and we shall go through the photo assessment again and perhaps this time SUZUKI GB will see sense?? Oddly enough their customer service line is dead and my online submission form has not been answered - that doesn't bode well? I shall report back with ongoing developments and if Suzuki continues to be unreasonable they'll be photo's galore on the 'web' somewhere... Any advice anyone might be able to offer on taking this to the next stage (trade body ombudsman or such like?) would be appreciated. Perhaps the small claims court after getting this corrosion professionally tested??

A year with my GSR750

24 August 2013 by gtufnell

Having owned my GSR for a year I thought I'd post my review. I changed from a Fazer 8 to the GSR after a demo day at Crescent in Verwood. There were a few differences I didn't expect as the bikes look very similar on paper. The first thing was the... Read more stronger and cleaner pull through the rev range. The gearbox is also a lot slicker and handling is definitely sharper. Small things like the gear indicator on the clocks are really useful. There were a couple of things that I wanted to improve. The 2 big changes have been the Puig screen which gives great wind protection and changing the stock seat for a comfort seat from SHAD. The stock seat is ok for short journeys but I found this with all the other street bikes I tried before buying the GSR. I now have a fun street bike which is capable of long journeys. I've had a few bikes from Crescent and will definitely be back for another. Oh... One last thing to mention. After 3,500 miles I have averaged 55.6 mpg :)

3 months on...

07 August 2013 by PaulM29

I traded in my Yamaha XJ6 for this bike which seemed the natural upgrade short of getting the FZ8. I look at this bike now and see the XJ6 lines on it and try not to think of the hurtful 'transformer' styling jibes that the XJ6 attracted! My... Read more reason for going back to Suzuki was the gear indicator as standard on most models (other manufacturers take note!). My GS550 from the early eighties had one and they should have become a standard feature on all bikes (rant over!). For 'oldies' thinking of coming back to 2 wheels, this 750 has more than twice the power of the GS550 and probably 50% better fuel consumption?! You'll read some negative press about a steel swinging arm rather than aluminium alloy - and that matters to the average Joe?? There's more than enough grunt for the commute and country roads at weekend. Let's face it, you only need a GSX-R if you're heading to a race track and forking out £140+ for those few hours of pleasure?? Although the brochure states 58 MPG, I got 66 MPG from a recent run where I wasn't exactly dawdling about @ 2,500 rpm and 35 MPH. Both trip milometers have average fuel consumption in MPG which saves me doing a litre to MPG calculation at the pumps (nice touch Suzuki). With 70 MPH @ 5,000rpm, The dealership claim that it'll indicate 152mph flatout if you've a mind to try that out on the public highway (who would do such a thing?!!). In the 3 months I've had it I've done some 4,000 miles which contrasts sharply with my 6,000 annual average on the Yam. In short, this bike is fun and I want to be riding it at every opportunity. My dealership has 3 years free servicing and the Pirelli replacements front and back at that service have made things even better. I should point out 2 negative points: 1. If this bike is pitched at the born again commuter/motorcyclist from the 70/80's, then we expected (and got!) a centre stand for our dosh. This bike feels lighter than the XJ6 and the side stand does not seem to lean either far enough forward or to the side which leaves me worried about the gale force winds in my works car park this winter... To rub salt in that wound there's no Suzuki or after sales centre stand that I can find on the net. 2. The Yam service was every 6,000 miles and the ridiculously overpriced valve check at 24,000 miles was £500 (those were 2010 quotes). Suzuki services at 3,500 miles and 11,000 miles respectively are twice as onerous. Now I know this engine is derived from a GSXR-750 but if you're not spinning it up to near 14,000 revs (GSR is11,250 btw) does it really need an oil and filter change every 3,500 miles??? The above having been said, if the other manufacturers are loathe to equip their models with a gear indicator, it'll be another SUZUKI for me in 3 or 4 years before I have to personally pay for the nightmare 22,000 mile valve clearance service?! Paul M

Dubstep on two wheels ! :)

27 May 2013 by suzukigsr750

I own this bike and i ride it hard on roads you can`t even imagine (here in Bulgaria we have them all ;)) And the only thing i can say for it is that I Love this bike ! It does what ever u want to do and what ever u push it for ! It`s light ,it`s... Read more sexy,it`s powerful enough , handles brilliant ,it`s fun and most of all it forgives your shit when you try them ! I would recommend this bike to everyone.

The only Japanese naked sports bike?

22 May 2012 by charlesq_70

OK, I don't own a GSR750 but I recently had an extended test ride on one, back to back with an FZ8 (which I've ridden before). The GSR stands out because it's the only Japanese bike in this class that feels like a true naked sports bike rather than... Read more an all round street bike. It isn't as high spec or adjustable as some European streetfighters but it's as close as you'll get from Japan -- the suspension isn't fully adjustable but it works well and is better damped than the obvious competition, the riding position is much more perched on/leaned forward than an FZ8 or Z750 and the bars are lower and narrower, meaning more leaning and less countersteering. But the trump card is the engine -- it's beautifully fuelled, seems to have power everywhere without being boringly linear, and howls like a proper Suzuki in the higher ranges. More aggressive than other Japanese middleweights and maybe not a beginner's bike or commuter, but a well sorted package and a very involving ride.

First Impressions

13 February 2012 by rw100589

Good Points: Awesome looks. Fantastic engine. Fairly priced in its market segment. Bad Points: The seat is quite hard and slippy when riding a steady long distance ride, there doesnt seem to be any aftermarket replacements yet. The rear... Read more swingarm is a let down compared to its competitors.

It's good

06 December 2011 by zx7rdelboy

Bought this at the tale end of September and I have to say am not dissapointed, looks good, goes well and handles well. Was tossing up between this & the Z750R but this definately looks better. My only criticism are the brakes are a tad weak but... Read more nothing a bit of modification won't cure!

Just got this bike

03 September 2011 by Tuggers16

Brought this bike last week and picked it up thursday when the new 61 plates came out have done 200 miles on the bike already and love it. Handles great and has given me alot more confidence then any bike i have had before. Would recommend this bike... Read more to everyone.

Year introduced 2011
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Engine type Liquid cooled inline four
Frame type Steel twin spar
Fuel capacity 17.5 litres
Front suspension 41mm inverted preload only
Rear suspension Single shock preload only
Front brake 2x310mm discs two piston