SUZUKI GSR750 (2011-on) Review

Published: 08 April 2011

Decent 'naked' based on 2005 GSX-R750 powertrain – good value, too

SUZUKI GSR750  (2011-on)

Decent 'naked' based on 2005 GSX-R750 powertrain – good value, too

The GSR750 is an entirely new bike – not just a GSX-R750 with flat bars and no fairing. As you'd expect it’s far more user friendly and practical than the GSX-R, and is designed to compete with Yamaha’s FZ8 and Kawasaki’s Z750.  It delivers supernaked looks in a usable, stylish middleweight body, with the 105bhp 749cc engine offering enough poke to have fun with.

41mm inverted forks control the front end and are adjustable for preload only. On the rear is a Kayaba shock, again only preload adjustment with a seven-way adjuster. Despite the basic suspension and set up it works 90% of the time straight out of the box. It’s easy to ride, predictable and stable. When pushed very hard, its inability to dive into apexes was a slight concern and it also stood up mid-corner if you applied the brakes mid-lean.

The 749cc in-line four-cylinder engine started life in Suzuki’s 2005 GSX-R750. The motor has received a significant makeover to improve low-rpm to midrange performance and torque – at the cost of top end power. Suzuki has adjusted the cam profiles, tailored the valves, inlet and exhaust ports and given the cylinder head iridium spark plugs for improved ignition. The end result is a quoted 105bhp with 59ftlb of torque.

Reliability shouldn’t be an issue from the GSX-R750 derived engine. Suzuki have obviously tried to keep costs low, but there are no glaring areas of shoddy budget manufacturing or componentry.

At £7125 it’s competitively priced, being considerably cheaper than Yamaha’s FZ8 at £7999 but a fraction more expensive than Kawasaki’s standard Z750, at £6649 (Kawasaki’s Z750R comes in at £7149). But the GSR does lose its bargain status when you compare it to Suzuki’s own Bandit 650 at £5725 and the Gladius at £5465

Insurance group: 12 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

As you expect from a ‘budget’ middleweight it’s sparsely decked out. However, inverted forks are a nice touch and Suzuki haven't skimped in terms of styling – the funky design is very European and eye catching. Clocks come with a clear gear position indicator, digital fuel gauge, clock, trip and fuel consumption meter. There are some nice touches too; there are two small loops that are part of the pillion seat which can be used to hold on luggage.

26 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSR750 (2011-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI GSR750 (2011-on)

the real low down on the GSR 750

19 September 2016 by john micallef

the gsr is a great bike. things i love about the gsr great motor its fast but not over powering you never feel that the bike is to much. Great on the roads. when you get use to it you will find on the road you can keep up with any 1000cc bike the... Read more frame takes everything and gives you great feedback. the bike never get out of line and gose 100% were you tell it to go. comfy bike and easy to ride in town any long tours.. ok this is the bad points.well not really bad but things thats pee me off 1.. the gear leave... i hate the way is looks cheap and nasty. ok it dose the job but looks crappie. 2. the breaks not a strong pointof the bike.. the abs system is great but breaking power could be better. thats it really after having a GSR 750L3 ABS for 3years. Its still a great not good but great bike..!!! and never let me down..!

the ride is great.. from town work to blasting around B road.. the bike it happy. but the bike is best when you push it hard.. the GSR just want more and more..! comfy ride i do about 120km before need a break
the motor is great!
well made apart from the gear leave.. naver let me down.
it's the norm really ..
i love the clocks on the GSR..! conti race acttack 2

i got my bike new.. cash buy you can get a good deal

3rd bike from passing test 13 years experience

05 June 2016 by Bunny

Very good bike. Maybe little too much for some new riders Read more

Better with an aftermarket can. Original exhaust strangles performance.
Tyres supplied with it very soft and wear VERY quickly
The Yoshimura can is a good add-on. Really nice note to it. Suzuki optional parts are hideous and expensive and opted for Puig screen and belly pan. Cheeper and more attractive

Bought new from dealer. Very smooth dealings would buy from them again

Would never buy one again

03 June 2016 by Tom Skilton

Rides well, a little light in corners. Read more

Would never buy one again, mine is 3 and a half years old with 15000 miles on the clock, the gearbox has just gone wrong and is stuck in 5th gear, Suzuki have suggested after taking over 2 weeks to communicate with me i take it to one of their dealers which i have done and they have given me an estimated repair bill of £1200, i am appalled with this when age and milage is taken into consideration and bike has only been used for commuting, i have always owned Suzukis but that will now change.

Best Road I've ever owned!, Well its my first!!

28 May 2016 by KJ

This is my first real road bike. I graduated from a motard DR650, which did everything I wanted, long tours, and weekend blasts. I out-grew the DR, and the GSR 750, is/was a logical step in my view. NZ Roads are well suited to the GSR, or is it the... Read more other way round?? It has more than enough power, corners very well, and I can add bits and pieces to it for a tour. The only reason I didn't give it 5 out of 5, is I have no other road bike to compare it with.

I can only compare this with my beloved motored DR650 (it was all modded up!) that bike could corner, the GSR does the same. I'm an average rider, and this bike gives me the confidence to take the windy bits on. I'm blessed with great roads here, and the GSR responds very well, no issues with brakes (when I use them). The wife hasn't built-up the courage to get on the back with me, so can't give an opinion re pillow.
I'm not a racer so the top end never worried me. This bike has great low and mid range, EXACTLY what I was after. Cant fault it at all!
Strong, well built, and NO corrosion!
Petrol here in NZ ids expensive, but overall the GSR uses gas depending on how violent I'm with the throttle!
Slightly longer screen would be nice, I'm getting a Givi or Puig anyway. The dash is fantastic, impressed Suzuki got everything you need in a small space, easy to read! The bars are rubbish! Upgrade as soon as you can.

Brought privately from a guy who was extremely fastidious with his care and servicing. $8750NZ, for a 2014, Yoshi can, Rizoma bar and risers, and only 3500kms on the clock.

15 December 2015 by kenny

First big bike after passing my test. Loads of power for a new rider. Very reasonable fuel economy (even when being ridden enthusiastically) The only thing that lets it down in my opinion is the brakes lack bite. Read more

Ride position is great for me. Could easily ride for 200 miles without a break.
As a high mileage rider I find the service intervals are a little close together.
A Puig screen is a must if you like to ride at a good pace.

08 September 2015 by Andy V

First big bike after passing the tests and i cant see how i could ask for more? Handling, looks,power, build quality are all amazing. The bit that stopped me giving 5 out of 5 >> the seat was more rider and pillion friendly on the earlier models! Read more

31 August 2015 by Jeff morren

Bike looks great,colour,plus all the extras Read more

Only done 600 miles so still brand new really well built in my opinion

M&S Newcastle upon tyne brand new pre reg £6500

Update on warranty claim

29 July 2014 by PaulM29

Following on from my last comment of 18 Jun below... The dealer I bought the bike from re-submitted a warranty claim for the second time. As they themselves stated their presentation and reputation probably swayed Suzuki into replacing engine seal... Read more covers on both sides of my GSR750. All due credit to this dealer. In retrospect they think it's been somewhat acidic pre-wash at my local car wash (that jet sprays bikes as well). I'm not sure I agree with that assessment as if that was the case then all casings and bolts around the engine should have had equal levels of corrosion?? I'm certainly now more aware of anti corrosion treatments that I should consider after every exposure to rain or salty roads... I'm thinking of now trading her in at the 2 year point rather than 3 as originally planned.

Update on warranty claim

29 July 2014 by PaulM29

14 months from new - WARNING?

18 June 2014 by Anonymous

An update on my previous review below is now URGENT. If you are thinking about buying this bike - THINK AGAIN. I've just taken my GSR in for what I thought would be a no-brainer warranty replacement of the nearside engine cover. The corrosion... Read more around the bolts on this particular cover is so bad it's on the verge of blowing the gasket as it's dripping oil from the worst of the corroded bolt housings. From some smartphone pics taken by my authorised Suzuki dealer (which would have struggled to show the full extent of the damage) feedback from Suzuki GB is that the bike is suffering from a lack of maintenance and neglect - neither of which is true by the way. Even if I had neglected and had never washed the bike, this particular engine cover should NOT be suffering the level of corrosion it has done. My assessment? This cover is clearly the cheapest alloy casing that Suzuki can procure and is simply not fit for purpose - certainly not fit to last even their own 2 year guarantee period. It is of course meant to last 25 months... The bike is going in for it's 3rd annual service (the service intervals being riduculously short) next week at the dealer I bought it from (a different dealer I should add) and we shall go through the photo assessment again and perhaps this time SUZUKI GB will see sense?? Oddly enough their customer service line is dead and my online submission form has not been answered - that doesn't bode well? I shall report back with ongoing developments and if Suzuki continues to be unreasonable they'll be photo's galore on the 'web' somewhere... Any advice anyone might be able to offer on taking this to the next stage (trade body ombudsman or such like?) would be appreciated. Perhaps the small claims court after getting this corrosion professionally tested??

Year introduced 2011
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
Engine type Liquid cooled inline four
Frame type Steel twin spar
Fuel capacity 17.5 litres
Front suspension 41mm inverted preload only
Rear suspension Single shock preload only
Front brake 2x310mm discs two piston