SUZUKI GSX-R750 (2000-2003) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"A motorcycle that's near perfect on road or track"

Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle review - Riding

"A motorcycle that's near perfect on road or track"

For a bike with a lineage as race-bred and focused as the Suzuki GSX-R750, it’s no small irony that the original superbike is something of a compromise. It has all the handling of the 600 and most of the usable power of the 1000. The result is a motorcycle that’s near perfect on road or track. The Suzuki GSX-R750's handling is superb, the chassis flatters the novice and rewards the expert and shock, horror – it’s actually comfy.

For a bike with such a reputation for razor-sharp handling the Suzuki GSX-R750 actually turns in relatively slowly – thanks in part to the long swingarm. Which is why this bike uses a 180-section rear tyre to pep it up a bit. The Suzuki GSX-R750's suspension is almost perfect, though to get the very best from a bike with more than 16,000 miles on the clock you’ll need to refresh or replace the shock and forks. The brakes aren’t bad, but the initial bite feels feeble.

The Suzuki GSX-R750's DOHC, fuel-injected honey-dripper is smooth in delivery, brawny in performance and mated to a light and precise throttle. The Suzuki GSX-R750's airbox and exhaust noise is addictive and everything seems to feel better and better the faster you go. Power is up to a genuine 118bhp, but a race can and a Power Commander can push that up to a cool 125bhp. The Suzuki GSX-R750's gearbox should be slick and precise.

The Suzuki GSX-R750's finish is, well, indifferent. The tank paint is thin, the stickers peel if you jet wash it and the whole Suzuki GSX-R750 goes irretrievably shabby if you ride it through winter.

The Suzuki GSX-R750 K1-K3 models are stunningly efficient track weapons. They let you exploit every fraction of their immense potential at a fraction of the cost of newer kit. Dealer prices for Suzuki GSX-R750s are ludicrously high and close to the money being asked for new 600s, which these days are much closer to the performance of the 750s. Find a Suzuki GSX-R750 for sale.

Insurance group: 16 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

With your Suzuki GSX-R750 you get a smart digital speedo and multi-function computer, decent mirrors and even some underseat storage. There is a vast aftermarket dedicated to getting your Suzuki GSX-R750 to go faster, led by top Suzuki tuners Yoshimura.

13 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSX-R750 (2000-2003) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

We’re currently improving the way this section works, which means we’ve had to suspend the submission of new owners’ reviews for a short period. Please check back soon.

2002 GSX-R 750 K2 bought last year

05 July 2006 by Azzdapazz

Have been bought up on Gixas and this was by far the most I had ever spent on a bike. Very few occasions where I wished I had more power. Great for wheelies. Fantastic power delivery and superb handling. Brakes only weak(ish)point, and a little hard... Read more on the wrists if riding slow. Gearbox blew itself to small pieces at 10,000 KM. Dealer says "very unusual", Suzuki say "very unusual", but no one wants to help pay the €1000 to fix it. Just ordered a new 1000 K6. Can`t wait. Strengths: Sublime handling. Very easy to ride. Powerful engine with smooth and predictable power delivery. Weaknesses: In my case...gearbox!

Gixer 750 who needs a thousand.

10 March 2006 by scanman

Bought her in 2002 when she was just 2 years old. Last owner looked after her real well. It can humble a lot of newer and larger bikes such as what we have in our local bike club. Its got 143.3 bhp when dynoed and the new 06 model has only got 5 more... Read more horse power, doesnt warrant me changing up. Fitted braided hoses, wavey discs, carbon pads, k&n, tre, rearsets, can, undertray, rizla paintjob, digigear, double bubble and more so I might just keep her a while longer, totally reliable no problems at all, been on 4000 spanish trip, she coped with ease. Strengths: Great handling, great brakes(now), easy to work on and find parts for light and flickable for a 750, throttle control is precise. Underseat storage is good for a s/sports bike. Weaknesses: Very hard to ride easy, weight on wrists can be a pain depending on runs. STANDARD ones can get lost in the crowd. Finish on some of the braking and suspension parts susceptible to corrosion if not cared for.

26 February 2003 by prothew

Really quick, light, responsive, stops well. No probs yet, and every thing works perfectly. I cant say any thing bad about it, if you like the colour, buy one, from when you hand the money over till when you die, it will make you smile. Read more

18 February 2003 by Paul Prior

I just love this bike! There's nothing else that needs to be said. I just hope it doesn't develop the 'chocolate' gearbox problems that you sometimes here about.

06 January 2003 by Martin750R

The more I ride it, and the more I read about it, the more I LOVE IT!! Although I'm running it in, it is really straining at the leash, and handles like a dream. Bring on the summer/ blades/ R1etc, there can be only one!!!!!!!

06 October 2002 by gring

I love the bike to bits only ride in good weather {got to keep it clean} I was a bit worried when I was told this model had a dodgy gear box can any one tell me if this is true? Right hand gets dead when out for a while but I love... Read more it to much to care about that. Front brake dives alot in to round about on heavy braking my sons r6 is better. Buy one you will love it.

30 September 2002 by kbar38

I HAVE OWNED A SUZUKI GSXR600 "1999" X MODEL FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS, SO TO MOVE UP TO THE K2 750 WAS MY MAIN AMBITION. NOW I HAVE GOT ONE THEY ARE ALL THAT THE ROAD TESTERS CONFIRM ( EVEN THOUGH RUNNING IN STILL ). THE STABILITY AND LACK OF WEIGHT EVEN... Read more WHEN COMPARED TO MY OLD 600 , IS A REVELATION. THE INDUCTION ROAR FROM THE AIR BOX IS AWESOME. THE BUILD QUALITY & FINISH IS ALSO AS GOOD ANY HONDA. THE SEATING POSITION IS MORE RADICAL THAN THE OLD 600, WITH A MORE OVER THE FRONT ATTACK ATTITUDE. SHORT ARSES BEWARE MIN 30" INSIDE LEG REQUIRED.

07 September 2002 by trout38

Had the 98 gixxer before this...good job Suzuki did! Brakes were shit.EBC pads and hoes sorted that out. Its got a clock!!!Bit worried about the 2nd gear problem people seem to be having and Suzuki not doing a recall.Graphics are crap, started... Read more pealing already. Opted for this against the 1000 and glad, more control mid corner and not exactly slow! AWESOME!!

31 January 2002 by Brevet13

I first bought my GSXR in September 2000 not long after the new models first hit the streets. It was between this bike and the R1 and at the time people were still raving about how good the R1 was. It was powerful, handled and the newer versions... Read more weren't so fierce, allowing most riders to get the most out of their machines without getting intimidated by the power. Anyway, by this time I had spoken to a lot of people concerning the R1 and nearly everybody said that it is a bike that always holds a surprise for the rider. And that if for any reason you lose concentration for a moment while on the gas this machine will bite you. Not the sort of bike I want really, I mean the power is awesome and the handling is brilliant, but I don't want to be steaming round some race track and then suddenly the back end breaks loose big time? Then just as we had pretty much made our mind up about the Yam, Performance Bike magazine published the 'Sportsbike of the Year Award' and have a guess what bike slaughtered the opposition? Yes, you've guessed it, the new GSXR750WY. This year's bike is lighter than the current R6, handles like a 250 and accelerates with the big boys, this is my baby methinks As soon as the bike arrived and was run in, I quickly found out that it was an absolute missile. It pulled clean and hard through the revs, but really started moving in the latter end of the scale. Hit 13 - 1400 revs in every gear and the world is a virtual blur. Then soon it's time to tuck in and hold very tight. This is by far the best bike out there for all round handling and performance. There is loads of horse power and it will pull hard in mostly every gear. Corners are simply eaten up with no effort, all you have to do is point it in the direction of the corner and the rest is history! Even the riding position is comfortable and according to my wife Marisa, the pillion is perfect. It's no Pan European, but very easy on the back side all the same. The only thing the GSXR needed was a grab rail, as this bike pulls a bit too hard to just use the strap. So far everywhere I've been I have either run out of clear roads or run into the local constabulary and it really doesn't help having such a loud race can on board either. I have to say though, that out of all of the bikes I have ridden over the years, this has to be the best. I've done three track days on the Suzuki now, Snetterton twice and Brands both back in 2000. And although I was caught out by some grease on the way to Burnham on Crouch last October and was high-sided writing it off, I have another identical GSXR750 lined up in a couple of weeks time. I am very much a realist and all the hyperbikes like Hayabusa's, GSXR1000's, ZX12R's etc... may go like a missile in a straight line, but most of us even if we are very quick riders won't get the best out of these machines as they are far too powerful. Whereas the GSXR750Y has the power on tap if you want it and also will hold a corner like it's on rails at any speed. For example, on Riches Corner at Snetterton Park, I had my knee and toe dragging at about 130+mph and the nimble Suzuki held the line and didn't move about one bit! In fact, I spent most of the day passing R1's and the like and there wasn't much in the difference of acceleration between the two bikes on the fast back straight either? I can't wait to get the new one soon and book up the next track day! There's more about my Suzuki on my web pages and loads of pictures to ogle at. Motorcycle Mayhem & Trackday Madness (http://www.geocities.com/dawnr_uk2000/front_page.html) Dean Baldwin, Essex.

17 August 2001 by watsey

Bike is absolutely mental, stepped up from an R6- doesn't even compare. Paint work is a bit shitty and it gets riddled with stone chips all the time. Steering damper has saved me a few times but should be adjustable, apart from this I f!"^in love it.... Read more Bring on the SP1's and R1's. HaHa.

Year introduced 2000
Year discontinued 2003
Original price -
Engine type 16v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension Preload, compression, rebound
Rear suspension Preload, compression, rebound
Front brake Twin 320mm discs

2000: Suzuki GSX-R750 gets new frame, new swingarm, engine updates and new bodywork.
2004: All new model Suzuki GSX-R750