Ad closing in seconds....

SUZUKI GSX-R750 (2011-on) Review

Published: 11 February 2011

Updated: 21 November 2014

"Still the perfect mix of power and handling, but thanks to the lighter weight, acceleration is now more towards a superbike than a 600"

SUZUKI GSX-R750  (2011-on)

After years of gentle evolution Suzuki has gone to town on its 2011 GSX-R750. Weighing in at 190kg, fully-fuelled and ready to go, it’s a massive 8kg lighter than the old model, giving the 148bhp GSX-R750 a mouth-watering power-to-weight ratio.
The 750’s rolling chassis and bodywork is completely new, but it doesn’t get the GSX-R600’s radical engine overhaul and the resulting 1kg extra weight reduction. Aside from minor revisions to make it breath more easily, the 750’s motor is essentially the same as before, but it now promises to spin up faster and make more low and midrange power. Suzuki claims it’s 10% more fuel efficient too.
It still has the perfect mix of power and handling, but thanks to the lighter weight, acceleration is now more towards a superbike than a 600. It doesn’t have the new close-ratio gearbox fitted in the 600, so feels longer-legged in the higher gears on track, but will it will make for a less frantic machine on the road.

It’s fun, fast and handles beautifully, but crucially it’s very easy to ride fast, unlike a bigger sportsbike. Pound-for-pound we reckon it’s one of the best sportsbikes you can buy.

It’s still civilised, comfy and thanks to adjustable footpegs, roomy enough for tall riders too. The suspension is plush on the move and there’s lots of adjustment for track riding too. Showa Big Piston Forks give lots of support and feel, while Brembo Monobloc calipers are a big improvement over the old model’s brakes. They still fade on track, but not as much as before. With much less weight to lug around, the GSX-R750 is a joy to ride fast. It loads you with feedback and flatters your riding. There are few bikes that can cover ground as fast and are such fun at the same time. The new chassis has a 15mm shorter wheelbase, so steering is even lighter than before. In the real world, the GSX-R750 is every bit as fast as a 1000.

Unlike the 2011 GSX-R600 there are only minor changes to the 148bhp, 750cc inline-four-cylinder motor. It now has pentagonal-shaped ventilation holes in the block, instead of round, which they say reduces pumping losses inside the engine and creates more bottom end power.

The primary injector nozzles are changed from 41 to 35 degrees inside the throttle bodies. The gearbox remains the same. A revised, more efficient ECU has been moved from under the seat to the top of the airbox to save weight on the length of wiring loom.

Blip the throttle and you still get that angry, metallic GSX-R rasp from the airbox and exhaust. The revs spin up almost as quickly on the move, racing through the gears, as it does at a standstill. The GSX-R750’s performance is as much as you’ll ever need on the road or track.

In terms of reliability, GSX-Rs will never let you down. They’ll take any abuse you throw at them all day long – they seem to actually enjoy it. Build quality is very good, but the paint finish isn’t as deep as some machines and can stone chip easily.

The days of a sub-eight grand GSX-R750 are sadly gone, as prices of Japanese are climbing to levels that some say they should’ve been years ago. Paying over £10k for the 2011 GSX-R750 may seem a lot now, but for your money you’ll be getting a sportsbike you can really use and enjoy to the maximum. It’s not as buzzy as a 600, nor is it as wildly powerful, or as a tricky to ride superbike - you ride it, not the other way around. The GSX-R750 is close to perfection.

Insurance group: 16 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

Compared to the latest 1000s, the GSX-R750 is sparsely-equipped, but that’s the way it’s supposed to be: it’s light, simple and fast. It does have a speed-sensitive, electronic steering damper and two power maps, which are easily switchable from the left bar. There’s a new dash, which incorporates a gear position indicator and lap timer and of course those Showa forks and Brembo brakes.

Year introduced 2011
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type 16v, inline-four-cylinder
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension 41mm Big Piston Forks forks, fully-adjustable
Rear suspension Single shock, fully adjustable
Front brake 2 x 310mm discs with Brembo monobloc four-piston radial calipers
Rear brake 220mm single disc with single-piston caliper.

Model introduced in 2011

None

12 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSX-R750 (2011-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI GSX-R750 (2011-on)

You won't regret this choice!

23 May 2019 by Paul O

Best bike I've ever owned, a year on and it still makes me smile even when I walk past in the garage. I've owned and ridden a few bikes and they've all had their niggles, after researching around for something reliable and plenty of fun, I decided on the GSXR. I wanted one for a dozen years and it was everything I thought it would be from day one. Yes it's one of the last bikes before all the tech and all you get on this is a 'rain' rider mode, but bikes have been like that for 100 years - deal with it. Easy way to describe this bike: Pull the throttle - go fast (you're smiling) Slam the anchors - stop fast (you're smiling after tending to whatever you've hit the fuel tank with) Corners - planted and consistent (you're definitely smiling) Servicing - reasonable, touch expensive with tyres (you're still smiling cause you get to do the above all over again with no issues) All the controls on this bike are just right, and if they're not you probably haven't played with the adjustment available - you'll soon find they are. It's responsive yet forgiving. It gets fairly good fuel consumption given that 250km/h is a blink away, I've done 300kms on a tank - most of them comfortable, at the end of the day it's a track machine not a GS Adventure. However, even as a daily it's incredibly practical and as easy going in stop start traffic as it is in the twisties. After nearly 10,000km and a year later I can honestly say I don't have one bad thing to say about my GSXR and it's by far the best vehicle I've ever bought.

It gets up and goes every time no matter what the weather is like. Although it has a seat for a pillion - it's not actually designed for one, don't fool yourself, the girls on the back of them in the YouTube videos don't actually exist. You can rack up the miles on it if you're moving around, long straight roads, however, will start becoming unpleasant after around 150km (depending on your age).
Awesome. The sound of this engine revving to 14 thousand with a Yoshi will have you feeling like Rossi crossing the line. Plenty of torque for overtaking in top gear from 100km/h. The first few thousand revs won't get you anywhere too fast but they're not designed to, anywhere above 4K you won't find you're left wanting. Great, smooth power delivery of all of those kWs with extremely reliable characteristics...can't go wrong!
Build quality is great, it's solid, it looks the part and you'll be hard pressed to find something that looks cheap and nasty. Fairings had a few broken clips from previous owner or maybe even the dealer but once they're all on there are no rattles or movement. Mine has been serviced at it's recommend intervals at Suzuki and it hasn't had any issues or required any work aside from consumables and normal servicing.
A basic 6,000km service will set you back around $300NZD with the big services (24,000km) being up to $600 if valve clearances need doing, which definitely won't at the first 24K. Good tyres are around $500NZD a set. Be prepared to spend up to a $1,000+NZD in a year where everything needs doing. No sugar coating - it's a high performance machine, a Moto GP bike is hundreds of thousands of dollars, so this is quite cheap all thing considered (is an example of how to explain that bill to your significant other).
It has a seat and wheels and goes like a skinned cat.

Best bike I've owned

28 March 2018 by Jack G

My GSXR750 is the best bike I have owned, the perfect blend of sporty handle and comfort for longer journeys. The bike takes everything in the stride from track days to tours around Europe. In my opinion has the optimum amount of power for the road/track, quick enough to keep up with Litre bikes but doesn't try to catch you out.

Never missed a beat
Could do with ABS to keep up with new bikes.

A machine that feels part of you, not you a part of it.

14 November 2016 by Martin

I went into the dealer wanting to buy Italian exotica. After test riding I fell I love with this fantastic bike. I was much quicker around my local roads than on anything else I tried. This bike flatters your riding skill. 60 mph in 3 seconds!! What more could anybody want?

I can manage a 100 miles before needing a stretch. The brakes... Brembo what more needs be said.
Never seems to run out of power.
Put together beautifully. Front brakes and exhaust are things of beauty.
More tyre choices

Brilliant bike

18 September 2016 by Bruce Wallace

Outstanding motorbike. I think Jamie Whitham rides one and I can see why.

First service was a bit steep I thought. I rang one dealer who quoted me £99 for a 600 service then, asked oh did you buy it from us?? No I said oh that'll be £129 then!!! It was actually £152 in the end.

I bought from a dealer, not local to me which is annoying. I always use dealers for servicing but at over 125 miles away I opted for one 45 miles away. I did try and keep it local but Suzuki dealers are few and far between in Somerset.

2016 GSX-R750

31 March 2016 by Boz

I feel that overall the 2016 GSX-R750 is a compact, lightweight, agile and comfortable motorcycle with a lot of usable power, making it great value for money.

Have not had any issues thus far.
The above is in $AUD
Lacking some of the electronics features that come standard on European bikes, having said that this shortfall is reflected in the lower purchase price.

Suzuki dealership very friendly and helpful.

Great Sportbike for the Average Guy.

30 March 2016 by The Dude

This is my second GSX-R750, the natural progression would be to the 1000, but I stuck with the 750 because it does everything I need and I really don't need to go any faster. I like to wind out a bike and doing this on a 1000 would be too fast, plus the insurance is 50% higher on the 1000 in my area. Another aspect of sticking with the 750 is fuel range, on some stretches on my favorite back roads it is more than 100 miles between gas stations, this actually puts a lot of bikes in a tough spot. I can easily get over 40mpg on this bike, hit it hard where it matters, and cruise the boring sections. Don't be fooled by the 'most comfortable sportbike' mantra, though, after about 4 hours you start to suffer, by the end of a 6 hour ride you are in agony. So tours to the best backroads require an overnight stay. In the end, when I review all other bikes, the GSX-R750 is just the most reliable, sensible, fun bike I can imagine for my style of riding. It sits right in the middle of the sporty riding, long day trip, reasonable cost of ownership, sportbike thrills machine (Ninja 636 also sounds good, though). Of course the new R1 beckons, but it sounds like that bike is just faster than I need and has some additional penalties (comfort, $$), the 750 is recommended for your average guy like me.

Very stable and great handling, but a bit stiff and can be a bit choppy on crap roads. Brakes work well for street use, average feel, good enough power.
Great fueling top to bottom, howls and growls, mostly induction noise, exhaust is very quiet. Has just enough power to entertain without need for traction control or concern with slipping the rear all the time. Front end stays down in all gears through redline (a plus for me).
Has never let me down, 3rd GSXR (600, 750, 750) in 4 years and 40K miles, all have been 100% reliable. Quality is basic, not a sex machine, but not a dog either.
$1200 for 6 service package (~18K miles), includes all parts and labor, plus I eat tyres (rears every 2K miles). So, yeah, if you include the bike payment, insurance, service, and tires its not a cheap hobby riding a sportbike.
Just a basic sportbike, great front headlight.

A Year to remember

25 May 2014 by plcorg

Just about to part company with my 750 after buying one new in June 2013, have to say that whilst I've loved it there have been some drawbacks. Low Speed handling is hard with a lack of usable power out of the corners, unlike an R1, which with more power seems more stable but having ridden my 750 in properly, the mid range and top end is awesome and had it checked on bench to find it's producing more than the book says with no mods! The Bridgestone tyres the bike is supplied with are vveyr sticky but lose shape far to easily for my liking - if you're on too many motorways be warned the standard BT16's will have about 3-4000 useful miles in them. Changed tyres for Diablo Strada's six months in and the bike became better and better. As a major 'A' road user, I love being able to fly around high speed bends and not have to worry about the bumps and open the throttle on the straighter sections. 133 bhp at wheel is plenty and the response is very good when going to overtake large queues - have to say on the other three I've not felt as safe as on my 750. Going to miss it but sure the others in the garage will just get more use! That sad I've got more than 60 mpg at times and that's far better than anything else with this much speed!

What a top bike!

16 November 2011 by greenturbobob

I bought one in September, and thought it was good then. But since then I have clocked some more miles and it just seems to get better and better. The engine is smooth with good midrange and top end power. Its a little lacking in the lower revs but when do you ever do that? The suspension is the best I have ridden. You approach a pot hole and expect a hell of a bang but it doesn't happen. It just soaks up the bumps but remains firm for good cornering. Its light in the twisty's, frugal on fuel, and having put riser bars on, comfy too! For those who say its slow or its not a 1000, well I know what its like to own them, I have had a few, but for everyday use it has more than enough power.

Gutless!

20 August 2011 by Feakster

... Maybe I'm being a little harsh because I normally ride an RSV. I ended up with this for a couple of days when my bike was in for work. As far as handling goes, I can't fault it... very sure-footed and easy apex-clipping. As far as the engine goes though... sh*te!! Everyone always raves about how it's the perfect compromise between a 600 and a 1000, but the truth of the matter is it's got less down low than my '06 636 ninja and less up top than my '06 RSVR (I think the 636 would have given it a run for its money with top end power!). It's just nothing... nothing... nothing... change, then nothing again. Makes for easy corner entry and exit because you never have to worry about getting flicked off, but the engine's never going to set your world on fire. It feels very flat/boring!

GSXR750 vs GSR750

10 August 2011 by ottouberswengen

I sat on this bike. Loved the looks and overall dimensions and quality of production. I am VERY interested to buy this bike, however, I need to tailor it for the ROAD, so I can have primarily, an overall road bike with the best sporting attributes when required. Coming from a Hayabusa, I am seeking a lighter, better handling package overall, as well as a user friendly road-sport prowess without punishing my body if I should tour 4-6hrs a day on it. Can this be done, anyone? The alternative is the GSR750 and revise that upwards with better suspension. Apparently the GSR is not too shabby around the track as well.

one for the road

06 July 2011 by neilybabe

I had a gsxr750k7 prior to a bandit 1250 and longed to return to a gsxr. After I recieved a new hip I took the plunge and bought the latest L1, what a bike..better than my K7 which took some doing (although I'm not so sure it's faster), it seems a more accomplished bike with no nasty suprises, just seems to handle any road surfaces and inspire licence (and liberty) losing levels of riding. Superb in every area.

Completely new GSX-R750

02 July 2011 by D Ramage

Wow - I had the 2008 model before and loved that - thought it was wonderful, but the 2011 GSX-R750 is a completely new bike. Everything feels new, different, better. And it looks better quality too - something I know Suzuki's have received negative comments on before. Yeah it's considerably more expensive than the previous versions, but at least with the new model you can see what you're getting for the extra money - lovely Brembo mono-block brake calipers and Showa suspension. All it needs now is an Akropovic exhaust and it'll be complete.

All SUZUKI GSX-R750 for sale
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)