Ad closing in seconds....

MV-AGUSTA F3 800 (2013-on) Review

Published: 26 June 2013

Updated: 12 August 2019

Now positioned as the entry-level bike in MV's range but not a bike for novices – it's got seriously impressive performance

MV-AGUSTA F3 800  (2013-on)

MV Agusta’s new 148bhp F3 800, boasts 20bhp more power than its F3 675 baby brother, a massive 30bhp more in the midrange and higher spec cycle parts such as Brembo Monobloc calipers.

Yes, it’s more expensive, too, but the F3 800 is the most sorted, enjoyable and fun MV Agusta we’ve ridden in recent times, true exotica and far less than the price of an F4.

Steering, braking and overall stability are superb. There was never anything wrong with the F3 675’s solid handling and pin-sharp steering and the F3 800 is just as impressive. Think of it as a big ‘600’, not a small ‘1000’. The F3 800 is all about generating big corner speed, taking wide swooping lines through the corners and thrashing the bejesus out of the engine. It’s involving and easy to ride like a 600, with added speed and grunt, but won’t intimidate you like a 1000.

A new crankshaft with an 8.4mm longer stroke (up to 54.3mm) brings the liquid-cooled, three cylinder engine up to 798cc. It’s still a revvy beast despite its extra capacity and a 30bhp more midrange. The F3 800 is as easy and exhilarating to ride as a 600, but hasn’t so much power it’s a handful, like a 1000. The counter-rotating crank keeps the front nailed to the floor out of corners, even under hard acceleration, so the speed it delivers is deceptive. Better still, it has a soundtrack so good you’d download it from iTunes.

Finish quality and componentry is, as usual, sublime, but MV’s reliability has been iffy (although improved during the Harley years) and the F3’s are still too new to make a judgement on its record.

There are four owners' reviews on the MV Agusta F3 800 so far, and they're overwhelmingly positive, with the caveat that build quality isn't as good as some rival products. This shouldn't stop you trying one out, though.

Eleven and a half grand is a lot of moolah by anyone’s standards but compares better to its rivals (Suzuki’s GSX-R750 is, as I write, £9899, Ducati’s 848 Evo £11,130) than its four-cylinder F4 sibling while it’s just as exotic and it’s performance even more competitive.

Insurance group: 16 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The 800 runs an updated ride-by-wire system and the same electronic rider aid package, which includes four riding modes (Sport, Normal, Rain and Custom), eight stage traction control and an optional quickshifter. Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock are the same as the F3 675 with revised spring and damping rates to suit the 800’s power characteristics. The 800 uses higher spec Brembo monobloc calipers to the 675 for improved braking feel and power at higher speeds and MV’s optional quickshifter is also impressive.

Year introduced 2013
Warranty term Two year unlimited mileage
1/4-mile acceleration -
Engine type 12v liquid-cooled triple, 6 gears
Frame type Steel trellis/alloy beam composite
Fuel capacity 16.5 litres
Front suspension Fully-adjustable Marzocchi 43mm forks
Rear suspension Fully-adjustable single Sachs rear shock.
Front brake 2 x 320mm discs with Brembo monobloc four-piston calipers
Rear brake 220mm disc with twin-piston Brembo caliper

2013: Model introduced

None

5 owners have reviewed their MV-AGUSTA F3 800 (2013-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your MV-AGUSTA F3 800 (2013-on)

Despite it's small flaws, a jaw droppingly beautiful bike.

29 October 2019 by Highside43

Having always loved the look of the F4 when they came out, and the newer incarnations have just got better, I had a go on a F3 (first time I had properly seen one in the flesh as I don't follow bikes / journalisam as avidly as I used to - I was a Forsyth, Steve Burns, and Robinson fan back in the PB days) on a trackday at Cartagena at the end of 2018 - there were several tasty bikes on offer for a small fee - Dukes, R1's, GSXR....etc.... I have ridden GSXR's for the last 20 odd years (SRAD for 4 years, K3 750 for 11 years and the last 4 years a K7 1000), great bikes and many thousands of miles on them (the K3 had 85K on the clock when I part exchanged it). I used to race RGV250's and R6's in the very late 90's / early 00's - nothing special, I was your average club racer managing to finish top ten half the time in EMRA / MRO...etc...so when hanging my race licence up at the age of 34 in 2004, I still wanted my 2 wheel fix. Cue the Nurburgring and trackdays. I hopped aboard the F3 800 at Cartagena and left the pit lane. First corner, braked in usual place and promptly came to a halt. Bloody hell it stops fast - so opened the throttle to accelerate back up to the corner and the thing shot forward. I thought I was going to bin it on the first corner as I 50 penced it all the way round. Then I was confusing the bike (first time I have ridden with any electronics as the K7 has a QAT and I binned the 3 mode switch), and the bike was confusing me - after years of blipping the throttle myself on downshifts, I was doing it with the bike doing it also, so tying me and it in knots. I had it in my head that it was an automatic so sometimes waiting for it to change up and running out of revs / hitting the limiter. The gearing was different (obviously) which I was also trying to figure out in my one 20 minute session. BUT......by the end of the session, I was lapping just as fast as I do on my trusty old bike that I know every inch of. What a bike. I was sold. The thing turned beautifully, could snap Kate Moss's knickers at 100 yards with it's looks, and stop in the gusset of said knickers just thinking about it. I had to buy one. By the time I had decided to part with my coin, it was mid way through 2019 and there were only 2 brand new 2018 RC models left (the better colour choice in my opinion). I rode it 4 times and have covered just under 6000 miles - yes, 6K in 3 months only riding it 4 times. I rode it twice to run it in over a long weekend (I live in mid Wales so cracking roads and not sat on motorways to run it in), then the third time I rode it after it's service was in July to Switzerland and back, sampling some of the finest passes (Grimsel and Furka) while there. The second time I rode it was to the Nurburgring and back, where I did 12 laps on it while over there the August bank holiday weekend. I'm sub 8 round there (but only just) and lapped just as quickly on the RC as I do on the GSXR. It certainly gets attention wherever you park it up.

The brakes are sensational - well, the front one is. Forget the back, believe the internet in that they're all rubbish. I hang a 5L tin of paint off the lever after pumping it up before storage, it stays firm for half a day then gets so bad you can't hold the bike on a hill with it. Utterly crap. But the front more than makes up for it. Rock solid all the way. Never had the ABS kick in (only when running in and playing with the back brake - weird stamping on it on wet roads and it doesn't lock up), as a side note I have fited Supercorsa zero front and one rear to the bike, as it was heading for the Nurburgring and I've always had those tyres, even towards the latter years of club racing. Chassis is also superb though, more flickable than a big bogey in double maths.
It's not a 1000 so don't expect it to punch out of corners like one. I don't think it's that fast for a 800, and you notice the lack of grunt - but it's not a slow bike and it is quick, think fast 600cc. Beautiful raspy sound from the triple though (mine has the SC exhaust, so can't comment on the standard sound).
Dry weather rider only, for me it's a bike to be cherished so it won't see rain unless abroad on tour. Still looks like new. Beutiful bike.
Only running in service so far (which you pay for), but so far in 6K miles no issues with reliability of engine. I am mindful it's an MV but I do have mechanical sympathy for my toys and always warm them up before a thrashing.
Lots of electronics - ride by wire throttle is a bit, distant??? Works all the time and never let me down, but there's just something about it where you don't feel quite connected to the engine at times. On full chat it's fine, but part throttle openings can take some getting used to, especilly tipping into corners doing so. TC / ABS / Engine response / engine Braking...etc...can all be tuned to your style, impressive.

26 October 2018 by Shaunie

It's a MV, so build quality is always going to be a bit hit and miss, unfortunately.

It's lovely to ride. Not too powerful, so easy to throw about. Brakes a faultless.
Nice motor. Not intimidating but plenty powerful enough. Makes a lovely noise too.
It's beautifully put together, with lovely parts. It looks the nuts. I've not had a single issue with mine. But a mate has the same bike, and he's had lots of issues. So it's always in the back of my mind.
Running costs aren't too bad. It doesn't chew through tyres like my HP4.
Everything you need is there. Clocks are tricky to read at speed.

Bought new from a dealer. No issues.

03 February 2016 by bazza

great bike very good on trackdays, keepsup with the thousands and passes them in the corners, cracking bike which gives you confidence too brake hard into corners and turn

superb 2015 MV Agusta F3 800

03 December 2015 by andykib

The bike is beautiful to ride very light and agile

Ed Cosker Bromyard superb service and back up

F3 800

30 October 2014 by pottersbar

Previous bike was the F3 675, which in two years I covered over 12000 miles. With the additional mid-range power of the 800 it is easier to ride and as with the 675, brakes and road holding are superb, especially with ABS. Quick shifter adds to the riding pleasure. To date covered over 2000 miles with no problems whatsover. It's biking with a smile on your face😄😄

All MV-AGUSTA F3 800 for sale
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)