TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XC (2015-on) Review

Published: 05 August 2015

The Tiger 800 is now a serious all-round adventure bike contender

TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XC  (2015-on)

The Tiger 800 is now a serious all-round adventure bike contender

The Triumph XCx is the premium off-road version of its Tiger range, built as an upgraded version of the XC bike. The Tiger 800 has always been a road bike first and foremost, being too good on the tarmac to say otherwise. But with adjustable traction control, three riding modes and fully adjustable WP suspension featuring on the XCx, the Tiger 800 is now a serious all-round adventure bike contender.

The x versions of the Tiger 800 are lavished with a choice of three riding modes - Road, Off-Road and Rider - which automatically sets the ABS, traction control and changes the throttle map. The switchable ABS brakes have also been upgraded giving more bite than before and the Rider mode is programmable and allows the traction control and ABS to be turned off should you wish to kick the back out in the dirt.

The Hinckley firm have also refined the engine for the Tiger this year. This is the second generation of the three-cylinder motor, which originally derived from the street triple and features the introduction of ride-by-wire, 17% better fuel economy, more precise gear changes and reduced emissions.

The Tiger feels premium, with neat touches such as logos on the casings, a titanium powder-coated finish on the frame, a matt engine finish and black wheels and handlebars. As it’s a new model with revised engine, it’s too early to say on the reliability of the machine yet.

You get a lot for your money and a bike that works well both on-road and off. The specification both x models is high and the revamped engine will see the Tiger do a claimed 65mpg. With the 19-litre tank, this should see a range of up to 270 miles between pit-stops.

The Tiger XCx comes laden with a high specification as would be expected with a premium model. It features spoked wheels (with a 21in front) to help it more readily deal with going off-road while its XRx brother has cast wheels with a smaller 19 inch front. Both models come with ABS, traction control, cruise control, centerstand, handguards, adjustable screen, adjustable seat, two 12V power sockets and self-cancelling indicators. The XCx is also fitted with engine protection, a heavy duty sump guard and fully adjustable WP suspension.

5 owners have reviewed their TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XC (2015-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XC (2015-on)

31 August 2017 by Dave

As I write this I've had my XCX from new, its now 5 months old with 7800 miles on it already. All of those are fun miles, I don't commute! It's a great bike on the road (other than camp sites, I've not been off-road) especially for touring or a quick... Read more blast or a trip to the shops. I thoroughly recommend this bike.

Great ride quality, the XCX has fully adjustable suspension and with some tweaking you can get a great ride whatever load you are hauling. And its worth tweaking it. My only gripe is that the rear suspension is a fiddle to adjust, and dirty. You need a long 5mm hex and a screw drive to adjust preload and rebound, you get on your knees and get grubby doing this! I now keep a ratchet with a long extension under the seat. The settings in the manual are a good starting point. Once tweaked the bike just floats over even the rough, scarred surfaces of Scottish Highland roads, even when fully loaded with panniers and holdall. I've never felt uncomfortable with its ability to stick to the road. The grip with both the tyres I've had exceeds my ability to corner fast so thats good enough for me! That said, this is NOT a nimble bike, especially when loaded. It doesn't want to change direction! First time I did an overtake I just moved my hips to pull back in like with my previous bike... it didn't budge... Needs a bit wrestling through the twisties. That said, its fun to wrestle with. I do find it top heavy which can make slow speed manoeuvring 'interesting', I have to make sure I've got a good spot to put my foot down when coming to a halt, but its probably no different to most tall bikes in that regard. You need long-ish legs, however the seat is adjustable and there is a low version. Brakes seems good, they've stopped me so far! Its a narrow front tyre though so I don't know how good it would be on a full emergency stop from speed. Comfort? Seat gives me two hours (the XCX version has a 'comfort' seat apparently) before numb bum sets in. I actually find the choice of underpants is crucial (no one ever tells you this!). I bought Rox bar risers as I wanted the bars higher and closer to me. In stock configuration I found my arms were getting a bit tired after a while. Wind? The stock screen is awful for me at 6ft and I replaced it with a Givi Airflow within a few hundred miles. That helps but there is one problem: The shape of the fairing around the tank directs the air at your groin and chest at speed and can provide uncomfortable buffeting, especially when its cold. I usually ride with a tank bag which deflects this enough to make it comfortable. I find that in rain that the only part of me that gets wet are my lower legs, arms and helmet so it does a pretty good job of shielding you. I've never taken a pillion on the bike.
The engine is superb, incredibly smooth in acceleration. There are no jerky changes in power, its pretty linear all the way. You can ride everywhere at 2-5000 revs but when you want to bring the noise just drop a cog and get it about 7000 for the real power and fun to begin. Despite its size it can fly when you want it too, overtake with ease at all legal speeds, even when fully loaded. Unloaded Im pretty sure you can get the front wheel of the ground quite easily!
The Build quality appears excellent, though mine drinks some oil. A quick tour of the forums shows this isn't unusual. However other than that I've no issues with how its put together. However, the stock screen is awful and I replaced it very quickly with a Givi Airflow. The stock screen just blasts your ears and buffets your head (I'm 6ft). I've seen no real corrosion or tarnishing. Mine lives outside under a cover and appears largely unbothered by this, though it hasn't seen a winter yet. I've ridden it hard, 7800 miles in 5 months and I don't clean it often. So far its been 100% reliable.
Theres an initial 500 mile service at £100 and then Ive also run up to the first 6000 mile service which ran to £180. The OEM Bridgestone Battlewings lasted me 6000 miles (again the forums show this is typical) so it was new tyres, £240 on top of the service. I'm trying Anakee 3's this time as some riders have found these last longer. The Anakee 3's are great on the road but Ive only had them 1600 miles so no idea of longevity As for fuel efficiency, I get an average of 54 mpg on tours. Thats on a mix of roads and motorway. You'll comfortably get 220 miles out of a tank before the fuel gauge is vague enough to put the fear into you!
The XCX comes with rider modes (I just stick to standard), ABS, Traction control and Cruise Control. I actually like the cruise control, especially on long motorway trips. It's also useful for when you enter those 40mph zones, just pop it on a relax a bit before the next bit of fun! Mine came with Aluminium panniers (not top box) and they are great. The Triumph ones are essentially Givi rebranded. Tough as well, having dropped the bike on them. The only downside is they are wider than the handlebars, especially on the right because of the exhaust. This can make filtering tricky. The XCX comes with a centre stand. I find it isn't balanced very well and its difficult to get onto the stand... essentially impossible when its loaded. However this is my first bike with a centre stand and I might just be a big jessy. The Triumph heated grips are good and are integrated into the bike, I recommend them.

I paid just shy of £11k brand new from a Triumph dealer, that included blue paint and heated grips optional extras. Mine came with free aluminium panniers as part of a deal, these are about £800 including the rack I understand.

Tiger 800 XCA top Spec

28 August 2017 by Hans

Super triple engine. Runs sweetly and efficiently through the 6 speed gearbox Needs a rear hugger as standard equipment Read more

Front brakes are very long lasting
Great sound and super smooth
Extremely reliable. I found the standard Triumph chain needed replacement too frequently. Non-Triumph chain is better
Standard services are 6000 mile intervals
XCA is the top spec and is short of nothing. No doubt the one to have.

NOT AS GOOD AS I WAS EXPECTING

08 March 2017 by Hungrybiker

Gutless motor, poor gearbox, cheap suspension, poor ABS Read more

Cheap non adjustable forks and a rear damper that also feels like it was the cost not the quality that governed the rideability
Sounds like the proverbial bag of spanners when you start it from cold and leave it in neutral to warm up, not inspiring at all It may be derived from the Daytona, the close gear ratios show that, but the performance was very poor for a modern 800cc bike The main sound you heard from it cruising at high speed on the motorways is a whine like an electric motor Fuelling was OK, it could be a lot better though
Nothing stands out as being a bright idea, it's all just average at best Non adjustable forks make for poor feedback from the tyre The gear selection is poor and the ratios are too close, 1st is too high, top to low, so presumably the internal ratios are from the Daytona The screen is a joke, purely a styling exercise and looks it, very much an add on, the whole thing started vibrating as soon as I hit 72, the motor will take you up to 85 after that the screen acts as a wall and the steering starts shaking
Average, nothing special
Overall just about average The ABS is very poor, i managed to get the front tyre to squeal on a dry concrete road, so something is not right

brilliant bike, but needs better support from dealers!

19 February 2016 by mally110

Bike is brilliant let down by dealer in my opinion. The main triumph dealer I went to didn't seem to know their product! Read more

Ride quality is very good, could do with a handle to adjust rear preload. Brakes have been replaced twice in 6000 miles (mostly 2up) so not brilliant but do a good job. I could ride around 3+ hours without needing to stop and the bike is the same pillion complains after about an hour
Best part of the bike, there is torque every where! What ever gear your in, however many revs if you twist the throttle it just moves. A slight vibration between 2-3000rpm but nothing to complain about
Have done 6000miles in one year, was told the breaks needed replacing at 1st service (600 miles) then again at 6000 miles. Head race bearing has failed being replaced under warenty, tyres need replacing and rust seems to be setting in on the headers and can.
Running cost are cheap but cost of service is extreme, this is done by a main triumph dealer so is going to be expensive.
Tyre choice for this bike has no off road use what so ever, wet grass gravel and mud. Basically anything other than tarmac should be avoided. Gadget wise, you couldn't wish for anything else maybe more wind protection from a bigger screen (option) I got the fog lights and top box (givi trekker outback with a triumph badge and the price bumped up) don't think you need anything else really

Again what let's it down, bought from a main dealer on launch day. Was took into a little office paper work pushed into your face signed and moved out. Day when bike was released to me, came in collected keys, showed me where it was signed a bit more paperwork. Started it for me then run off to do something else never saw again.

Mr

24 September 2015 by Danny beggs

I use the bike two up a lot of the time . Have taken my partner over most of Ireland and can say the bike the is fantastic. Goes everywhere I want to go have down some green lanes and forest roads both alone and with pillion couldnt say a bad thing... Read more about the bike.

Brakes on the bike are very good tho if you are ridding fast on a twisty road after a few miles can feel the brakes get a little soft. As to the ride quality it is fantastic I am not a small guy 6,2 and have no problems going from one petrol station to the next some 200 mile plus away.
Power is nice on the bike lots of low down grunt for the road tho it's a little to high for playing in the mud. Sprocket choice is a massive thing depending on what you are doing. I have went 2 teeth bigger on the rear as it makes it easier off road and don't have to rev as much to start off if I have the wife on the back and the camping gear.
From owning the the bike four months I have no bike problems with the bike apart from the rubber Botha that hold the bash plate on they are to soft and break in two very easily I did replace them with new ones only to break them again. Have not hit bash plate off anything so not sure yet as to how I've broke them .
All goes through dealer so up to them really through I would not go near triumph in Dublin as they did not do a good job with first service.
The crash bars and bash plate are ok not fantastic the crash bars are ok for just the engine to no protection to the tank and plastics so would go for sw motech crash bars they cover the engine as well as the bottom of the tank and plastics. Bash plate is well made its self is a good plate tho the mounting bolts are cheap and need looked at I've replaced mine twice and both times they have broken from unknown reasons as the bash plate has not received a direct hit.

I bought mine from a dealer and can say the experience was great it's my 1st brand new bike tho little expensive but wouldn't change the bike for anything else on the market at the moment.

Year introduced 2015
Rear brake -
Front tyre size -
Rear tyre size -

2010: Triumph Tiger 800XC introduced

2015: Triumph Tiger 800XC updated. Tiger 800XCx introduced.

There are a total of four new Tiger 800s for 2015. First there’s the road-going XR, then the more offroad- focused XC which has spoked wheels and WP suspension. But there’s now an upgraded version of each: the XRx and the XCx. That ‘x’ suffix adds rider modes, cruise control and accessories. Prices start at £8499 for the XR and £8999 for the XC, increasing to £9499 for the XRx and £9999 for the XCx.