YAMAHA XSR700 (2015-on) Review

Published: 06 November 2015

One of the most fun, engaging and affordable bikes on the market

YAMAHA XSR700  (2015-on)

One of the most fun, engaging and affordable bikes on the market

The XSR700 is essentially a cosmetic job. That’s not a problem because its base bike, the MT-07, is already a fantastic machine. Yamaha’s restyling has simply broadened the bike’s appeal and opened it up to a wider audience, namely those who are growing out their beards and getting into the retro scene. The neo-retro XSR looks refined, it’s classy and handles superbly – and does it all for an extremely attractive price tag. Brilliant.

The XSR is an incredibly easy to handle machine, thanks mainly to its lightweight, smooth engine and predictable throttle response. Not once did the XSR surprise me with anything unexpected. Part of its brilliance is the way it’s rewarding for both newbies and experienced riders alike. Its posh four-piston monobloc brake calipers do a commendable job of stopping in a hurry and, unlike the MT-07, the XSR comes with ABS as standard. The rest of the rolling chassis is the same, using the same basic non-adjustable suspension up front, and preload adjustable rear. Even though the suspension carries a slightly budget feel and is relatively soft, it doesn’t detract from the machine’s impeccable road handling.

The MT-07 has been praised for its wide spread of power and easy-to-use torque, and the same credit has to be heaped onto the XSR. The twin’s peak output of 74bhp is more than enough for the switchbacks, while its impressively strong midrange is ideal for processing the mountain turns.

Build quality is equally good as the standard MT-07, and there were no relaibility issues with the MT-07 during its first year on the market

The new XSR700 is priced at £6249, £500 more than the ABS-equipped MT-07. Even at that price it’s still excellent value for money. The price tag is competitive and £1000 cheaper than its main rival, the Ducati Scrambler. The question is whether or not customers think the bike is £500 cooler than the MT. With an array of optional extras, an easily modifiable base bike, sweet finishing touches like logos on the seat, tank and casings, an all-day comfy riding position and an incredibly engaging motor – it’s certainly close.

Unlike the standard MT-07, ABS comes as standard on the XSR. Other than that the XSR is a pretty basic machine, in keeping with the retro style of the bike

2 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA XSR700 (2015-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA XSR700 (2015-on)

XSR

08 September 2016 by Birdy

Love this bike and would recommend to anyone who wants a fun bike at a reasonable price. Read more

Handling is great, light weight helps, but so chuckable. Only let down by poor rear shock that can get a bit overworked amking it a bit bouncy at times.
Brilliant!! I must be the only one who likes the sound of the twin, nice and torquie and easily fast enough when revved.
Very economical, even when thrashed, would imagine easy high 60's if you rode gently (unlikely to happen)
It's got everything you need in a small display and for a bike like this and at this price.

Dealer bought, Keys Motorcycles Worthing, had to pay retail £6349.00

Is it retro? Debateable to some. Is is it great? Absolutely

05 August 2016 by Crispy

For what it costs, looks and performs; it's a fantastic bike that always puts a smile on my face and I always want to be riding. Read more

The XSR700 is a nice upright, relaxed riding position that makes for really good commuting and takes away the wrist stain that my old SV game me. The wide and higher bars and great balance and low weight really help me navigate traffic and filtering. On the twisty roads, it's nimble and quick to turn allowing some spirited riding to put a smile on your face. I don't feel quite engaged with the bike/road as much as I did with the SV, almost more relaxed (I think this is largely down to the softer suspension), but I think that adds to the charm of the bike and I certainly don't think I'm any slower than on the SV. Brakes are good and stop confidently. ABS has kicked in a little more than I would expect it to on very few occasions but this hasn't brought me any concern and I feel I can rely on the brakes more if I needed to.
The MT07 based 700cc twin has been well reviewed and loved and I can see why. It is superb, smooth and has bags of torque at a really usable rev band. The bike a joy to use in and around town and also a great blast down the twisty country B roads. Only thing that holds back the 5th star is the standard exhaust note which takes away some character a little, however this can be resolved with aftermarket items, although they are few and expensive (at the time of writing)
I've only done 600 miles but not had any problems with it to date. Seems and feels well built and have nothing to grumble about so far. Gear changes seem a little smoother after it's first service.
A brand new bike with great retro looks (in my opinion) but modern day usability and performance, can commute everyday with ease whilst can hold it's own on a twisty road, brings a smile to your face when your on it and costs less than £7000. I can see why the base vehicle won bike of the year and is so well reviewed. I've only completed 600 miles so far (just carried out the the first service) which cost £150. Tyres tread looks cool but may not be the best cost/performace tyre available. Cost £10-£13 to fill up, I got 140 miles on my usual commute (light town / mainly B roads) to a tank and the dash says I get 58 MPG, much better than the 120miles / £13-£15 fill up that the SV650 did.
Come with ABS as standard and the cool digital dash gives good information. Speed, Gears, Rev and fuel are the constant information wilst odometer, trip A/B, instant MPG, avg. MPG, coolant temp, ambient air temp and clock are all cycle-able. I would rather the clock was and maybe the water temp was part of the constant information but the 'retro - design' dash doesn't have the real-estate space for this. There are no riding modes or traction control, which I would have liked, but for the cost of the bike I can't really complain (and probably wouldn't need or use that much) I wasn't offered standard fitment heated grips, however I have heard rumours that these are available. there are optional extra's to customise the bike your way but these seemed expensive and more looks based than functional. I didn't see them, but the pannier bag, tank bag or 'tool' bag didn't seem like I could put a lot in them.

Bought brand new form a dealer. It was advertised at £6536 but I added a screen and crash bungs so I ended up paying £6800 after a few of the 'other costs' were added

Year introduced 2015