Ad closing in seconds....

APRILIA RSV1000 R (2004-2010) Review

Published: 22 November 2006

"Ultra-exotic V-twin that rocks on the race track but is a handful on the road"

APRILIA RSV1000 R  (2004-2010)

"Ultra-exotic V-twin that rocks on the race track but is a handful on the road"

Ultra-exotic, extremely high performance V-twin motorcycle that rocks on the race track but is a handful on the road. The Aprilia RSV1000R is not for the inexperienced. This updated bike appeared in November 2004 and is the base of the RSV1000R range – in previous years the ‘R’ was a tricked up model and the ‘Mille’ was the entry level machine. Now the Aprilia RSV1000R is the standard motorcycle, and the Aprilia RSV1000R Factory is the tricked-up motorcycle.

Watch the Aprilia RSV1000R take on the Ducati 1098 and Honda's SP-2 in our V-twin sports bike group test

The Aprilia RSV1000R motorcycle is tall, slender and quite a handful. Works best with a rider who can show it who’s boss. Hard suspension’s a pain on bumpy roads but divine on the track or good road surfaces. The Aprilia RSV1000R is more comfy above the speed limit than below it. Slightly heavier than Japanese rival motorcycles but carries it well.

The Aprilia RSV1000R has a v-twin engine with a compact 70 degree angle between the cylinders and a dry sump to ensure constant lubrication. Low down torque is plentiful, midrange is muscular and the motorcycle's top end rush’s exhilarating – if not quite a match for the four cylinder Japanese rival motorcycles. Intoxicating traction and noise from the Aprilia RSV1000R.

The motorcycles are generally well designed and built but there are niggles. The UK dealer network is neither as comprehensive nor as experienced as you’d find for most other motorcycle brands. If there’s an established Aprilia agent near you, you should be fine, if not, you may have to travel. Spares slow to arrive for the Aprilia RSV1000R motorcycle.

The cheapest 1000cc V-twin super sport motorcycle undercuts the Ducati 999. Japanese rival motorcycles are cheaper than the Aprilia RSV1000R though and all can be bought at a discount. Be wary of unregistered older motorcycles being flogged on as the latest model. Find an Aprilia RSV1000R for sale.

Insurance group: 17 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Aprilia RSV1000R's comfort is not great. The narrow, tall riding position suits some bikers better than others but wrists hurt at slow speed and numb bumb can set in after a hundred miles on the Aprilia RSV1000R motorcycle. Pillion accommodation is poor. Clocks quite comprehensive. Official extras for the motorcycle include an alarm and a range of Aprilia approved exhausts made by Akrapovic. Compare and buy parts for the Aprilia RSV R in the MCN Shop.

Year introduced 2004
Frame type Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 320mm discs

2004: new-look Aprilia RSV1000R motorcycle range launched.

2004: Aprilia RSV1000R Factory launched. More expensive version of the base Aprilia RSV1000R with Ohlins shock and steering damper, light forged wheels, gold frame, carbon and more.

22 owners have reviewed their APRILIA RSV1000 R (2004-2010) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your APRILIA RSV1000 R (2004-2010)

Superbike Bargains

13 June 2018 by Motorrad forever

I also have a 916, 998, and 999S and this RSV1000R Factory handily trumps them all. Chassis is exceptional with the Factory Ohlins, Rotax engine is bomb proof reliable and cheap to maintain unlike the Duc’s of the period. These bikes are a steal on the used market.

Ohlins suspension is track ready. Rear brake is absolute garbage unless you bleed it every week or convert it to the vertical RSV4 style (very easy to do)
I would give it more stars if I could. Fantastic mid range grunt with a very inline 4 like top end pull. More entertaining than the Duc’s of the period with much cheaper running cost. You won’t come close to modern super bikes... but you’ll sound better doing it.
Incredibly reliable Rotax engine, solid gearbox. Oil tanks have a habit of cracking... repair it don’t replace it. Also stators are crap. Repairs are well documented and easy to do. Neutral can be hard to find until the oil is up to temp.
It’s a joke how cheap these bikes have become. Probably one of the best values out there on the classic super bike spectrum.
It’s no touring bike.

These are absurdly cheap on the used market now. Paid $3,500 for an all original model with 3200 miles that has never been down.

Italian stalion

15 May 2016 by Bigjimrsvr

Power excellent as is top quality suspension, but toy town switch gear

Top quality but top prices
Power com helped fuelling, but engine itself knows no bounds
Had every poor issue linked to model, brown connectors, generator, fork seals, linkage bearing wear, oil pan crack etc etc etc
Looks and sounds epic

Local dealer, part exchangedd my blackbird

Bol Dor Fun

24 July 2015 by Reevie

Although not my only Bike, it was bought new in 2008 and is still as good as new.

Back brake is crap, neutral is a pain, the riding position suits me fine but its better since i added a double bubble Screen
Super slick Vee twin with none of the Ducati rattle
Brilliant. Never missed a beat and the finish is as good as any Honda
Running costs are comparable to my ZZR1400 as I do my own servicing.
Fit Crap rubber and the bike will repay you in kind three times over

Bought from a dealer with an excellent deal due the emerging RSV4

First Big V Twin

13 July 2014 by Albrimer

As a big boy's toy to scratch around fast twisty roads, this is quite simply awesome. I bought my 05 RSV Factory after my Daytona 955i came to grief in 2012. It had a geniuine 6800 miles on it, with only 2 previous owners (the last owner had it only 3 months because he really wanted a gixer). My initial impression was of a sweet handling, highly flickable bike with an incredibly versatile engine. Good low down grunt, but almost free revving as the revs grow. And, what a sound - especially after replacing the restrictive standard cans with some carbon fibre aftermarket ones. So, for recreational fun, this has never disappointed - and I don't think it will. It keeps me smiling everytime I go out on it. Typically, though, it isn't without its foibles - after all, it is Italian. The rear brake is rubbish - it is just as well it doesn't get a lot of use. Even, after getting a good brake after eithe reverse bleeding or tuning the caliper upside down, it doesn't last. When I get the time and inclination, I think a different master cylinder will be the order of the day. Thankfully, the front brake is stunningly good. The clutch slave cylinder also leaked, which resulted in me fitting an aftermarket part. It made a good difference in clutch feel, although reverse bleeding was again the trick to the set. This and the brake are a result of bad design and engineering. My final note, is that for long journeys expect to be very uncomfortable. At slow speeds it is heavy on the wrists. It grts a bit easier at higher speeds when the air on the chest helps take some of the load off the wrists. That said, over longer distances you can certainly expect to feel the over tank positioning to hit your lower back. Heavyish rucksacks only add tonthe pain - I won't make that mistake again. Right, the overall verdict. I bought it primarily as a big boy's toy, at which it excels. Indeed, it excels so much, that I no intention of changing it - not yet anyway.

RSV1000R 2010

15 February 2014 by JayZen

I bought my Aprilia new in 2010. I had to search for one of the last new ones available which comes in a satin white and black and fitted with Ohlins etc. This meant having to look around the country until I found one in Birmingham. The bike itself is fantastic but owning it has'nt been without problems. Firstly the company I bought it off gave me the worst service I have ever experienced in my life and didn't prepare the bike properly. Amongst other things this meant that the single seat unit fell off into traffic on the ride home as it wasn't assembled properly (the lock still being in place on the bike and the plastics crushed in the road). Then within the first year the tank de-laminated (a known problem with this finish). I also had a clutch problem and needed a new rear swingarm bush within the first year (again a recognised problem I believe) but thanks to my local Aprilia dealer (On Yer Bike at Aylesbury) I got all of these problems rectified under warranty. This sounds like a reason or two NOT to buy an Aprilia and I have to say as a company Aprilia and Aprilia UK are NOT good to deal with BUT......The bike is SOOOooo good to ride that I can't be arsed to worry about all of that. I have had the bike for 3 years and done 23k miles. It still looks like new and rides like new. I have Arrow cans and up rated air filter fitted so it sounds fantastic and pulls like a train. I am 6ft and find the size of the bike just right, with plenty of room to move about. I have ridden all over the UK and throughout Spain on it and never felt particularly uncomfortable. Two up it is pretty uncomfortable when riding through traffic etc, like any sports bike really. My wife is a great pillion and this helps limit that effect but I would'nt recommend it for long trips two up. Having said that she loves the Aprilia and never shy's away from the opportunity to join me. The engine has been faultless and the bike has never not started or broken down on me. The handling is sublime, particularly on fast smooth sweeping roads where its racing pedigree definitely shows. The faster you ride it the better the experience gets. I wanted a bike without electronic rider aids...old school...learn how to maximise the potential over time and improve your own riding abilities as you go! The Aprilia offers this experience in bucket loads. It is full of character as well as ability and feels like a completely different experience to your standard inline four electronically controlled bike these days. I won't sell mine....we will just grow old disgracefully together.

RSV1000R 2010

15 February 2014 by JayZen

7 years on

02 June 2013 by norris

Think this is my third review on here. The RSV (05 model). So now coming up to 7 years of ownership. Bought it with 1200 miles at 4 months old. Now just on 66.000 miles about, (clocks reset when alternator failed). So what's it been like. Reliability? Never failed to start, even when the alternator packed in the bike goes into limp mode, and got me the 40 miles home before the battery died. Second hand alternator (£60) a weekend and back on the road. Had the front forks refurbed at 50.000 and set up (£100). The engine has been bulletproof, still on original clutch, it doesn't use any oil or smoke, the gearbox has a lovely slick feeling with only the annoying neutral still awkward to get. Wheel bearings original and no wear, brake discs ditto (lots of engine braking). Finish? Lasted really well, the tanks a thick plastic so obviously won't rust, ad the bike has kept its finish really well. Unlike most of the newer sports bikes, the RSV has shown itself to be reasonably comfortable on longish rides (300+ miles) especially as I usually have a pillion. They're a long bike, so the pillion isn't squashed up to the rider. Overall? Never owned a bike longer than 3 years before, (R1'S, GSXR's, CBR'S,ZX's)which shows how much I've enjoyed the RSV. Problem now is what to do with it. Buy another and keep this for spares or just keep running it.

Awesome

06 May 2013 by IsraelsRSV

Short review: I had an 04 rsv-r. They have their good points and bad. More good then bad though. But here's the good points first: This bike ridden right is uncatchable. race cans mean best sounding bike ever. It has so much torque you really need sticky tyres. It is so involving! Its like riding a mental animal. Will wheelie over 100mph. and is the best handling bike in the world. according to me and mcn. Thee most fun thing you will ride but to mental for the road, will end up band or dead. fun though. Bad points: Check the inside of the swing arm before you buy because they crack. side stands are weak. Speedos blank out and start agene from 0000. so it may be higher miles than says on the clocks. not really fast top end speed but you'll beat everything to 150mph so what more do you need really? I'd have another any day but my wife won't let me, she thought I was too mental on it.

The return

12 February 2011 by tman39a

Had an 04' Factory a few years back and changed to a K7 GSXR1000 which is a great bike but way too easy to go stupidly quick on...sold it and bought an 05' Factory..OK its slower but so much more involving and makes you ride the bike..perfect Sunday bike and the sound is just intoxicating...its not everyones cup of tea but it suits me. Quick enough at the speeds that matter and always gets noticed compared to jap il4's. There is just something about the way Aprilia design their bikes that suits me....this is my 5th and all of them have made me smile...closest to these would be KTM's which are just fun and addictive. If you want a jack of all trades comfy bike look at this last...if you want style and a touch of class at a sensible price you could do worse.

Aprilia 04 Factory

25 March 2010 by Anonymous

Ill keep this short. If like me your coming from the newer inline fours especially a 04 R1 don’t do it you will regret it! Even though it’s got Ohlins and OZ and that swing arm etc, which was one of the selling points for me, it is no better chassis wise then my old R1, road or tarck and if you ask me the Aprilia best feature is its chassis. (I’d say the R1 is superior even without the trick bits, let alone a properly set up R1). In fact I’d call the RSV wooden! (Yes I do know what I’m talking about. I’m always at the very front of the fast groups, on track days and I also do about 20000miles a year on the road).The engine is gutless (regardless of what gear you’re in, or where you are in the rev range) regardless of what you do to it (mine made 130 rwhp). The back brake is shit, it needs a cover, and constant bleeding with 5.1 or you have to buy new rear sets and hang the master cylinder on the pegs like a normal bike! The mileage resets if the battery runs flat. Although reliable and built well for an Italian bike, it ain’t that reliable and there’s a definite difference in build quality between the two. Fuel economy is not great in comparison to the R1 either. I also found that the seat is too wide and digs into the top of my inner thighs when my feet are down making the bike feel taller then it really is. Did I mention it’s a bit of a porker! However, it is a bloody good looking bike and the kit you get for the money is exceptional value and with a set of cans it sounds awesome! I am however significantly quicker on the R1, whether I’m on track in the fast group, on just out for some fast road riding. I bought it as I had fond memories of my old SP1 and thought it would be a step on from that. I was wrong buy the SP1 instead. Maybe I’ve been unfair? Maybe I’m just not a twin man? But I wasn’t impressed!

Italian Stallion!

21 March 2010 by Feakster

I love it to death, but it's completely raped my wallet to keep it on the road. I've now bought the bike twice over in repair costs from things just randomly breaking on it. My local garage assure me that it's a one off & that I've been "unlucky", but sadly I feel my confidence in the Aprilia brand has been dented too much to ever buy another one. I've heard KTM are worse, but I fancy a change for my next bike when the time finally comes. Maybe I'm a masochist at heart. Aside from my troubles, the handling is utterly sublime, brakes... powerful (I'm never owning a bike without brembos again!) & engine... torquey. Having never ridden a V-twin before, the engine breaking took a bit of getting used to. Now I never need to touch the break lever unless undertaking 'spirited' riding. The engine sounds awesome. Especially with the full akrapovic system ;P. Having said that, I wish it had a bit more power. When things finally stop breaking on it I'll hopefully be able to stockpile enough money for the 1060cc rebore, racing cams & some headwork. The guy at my local dyno's had 155BHP at the rear wheel on the last one he gave the above treatment to! I'll just have to keep saving & dreaming til then.

2006 factory

28 October 2009 by stever6

had mine from new and not one mechanical problem. It is ridden hard here as the cops are not as prominent as back in the UK, many track days around Kyalami and so far 24,000 very happy km's.It is nknown locally as the "snottin snortin rhino of a bike" as the pipes have been gutted and it make an unbelievable crisp rummble. do all the basic service stuff myself as we have same problem of shortage of dealers etc. clutch and brake master cylinders need bleeding regular to keep in top form...typical italian bike. i could never replace it with anything else. i am looking at a triumph rocket three to totally move away from superbikes in my old age (45). regards to 'blighty' from Botswana!

3 Years on

21 August 2009 by norris

Still got the Aprilia after 3 years, and the only bike I'd consider changing it for would be either a Duc 1098 or KTM RC8, both of which are now out of my price range (thank you Mr Brown) So, I've now clocked 25,000 miles in 3 years. What's gone wrong? In all honesty, very little, the wet summer last year saw off the speedo sensor (mounted near the rear caliper so gets soaked) but picked a second hand one up for £16. The Ohlins fronk fork oil seals started leaking at 21,000..Er, that's it..The well known cr*p rear brake is still cr*p, but at least it now works after investing £5 for a genuine Aprilia heat shield which is standard fitment on the 07 on models. If anything, the engine is nicer now than it was when new, it feels nicely run in and the gearbox is very slick. Neutral is another well known foible, but it becomes second nature to snick into neutral as you pull up. The finish is holding up really well, (far better than the Suzukis & Kawasakis I've owned in the past)despite it being used all year, as long as the roads not covered in snow and ice.. So, despite early worries regarding the Italians reputation re reliability, the Aprilia has been superb, and with the prices now reasonable I'd definately buy another, though not the terrible garish new factory colour scheme..

"Something Special"

03 March 2009 by Anonymous

I bought my 2005 Aprilia 6 months old and with 1000 miles on the clock. As new! and as soon as I set eyes on the RSV, I knew that I would buy it and struggled to keep my cool long enough to do a deal. As the starter was thumbed, my senses exploded. Looking, Listening,.... Looking,.... Dribbling! How can you haggle when the owner sees you are frothing at the mouth? This bike is Beautiful,....... Perfect! I didn't know why he was selling and I never find out. It was going to be mine and I didn't care. Stupid, Stupid, FOOL! Rash decisions like that can bite you! Did an MCN check after the event. (really would recommend doing one before, though) Ha Ha, this time though,... No Bites! It goes, stops, handles sublimely. It is Awesome! I love this bike and so does everyone else. I know you covet my Ox, but it's mine! The best bike I've owned. By Miles.

Factory

04 September 2008 by norris

Bought my silver 06 Factory 2 years ago, and hve clocked 16000 miles up..Like other owners who'd moved from Jap fours, they take a bit of getting used to, but oncethe cans are changed and the fueling set up they're superb..You need to ride these bikes as unlike Jap bikes they're not bland machines that do everything for you. Niggles? Back brake tha doesn't..Aprilia deny there'e a fault but every foum has a magic fix for the problem..The speedo sensor is placed underneath the rear caliper and as such gets all the water thrown at it, and in Aprilias wisdom they're not waterproof..Plop some silicone around the joint and problem solved otherwise its £67 fo a new one.. Spares? Got a speedo semnsor over counter..Ditto wing mirror after droping it in the garage, the build quality is on a par with Honda, but like any modern motorcycle they need looking after..Mine still looks superb despite the mileage..

2007 RSV1000R

19 June 2008 by weatie

I have the 2007 model non factory and love it now, but upon first picking it up from the dealer (brand new) I almost took it back to ask for my Gixer 750 K4 back. As it was like riding on a JCB, I had previously had two milles (older model) so knew what to expect with a v-twin. But this model felt rubbish to start with at low speeds just wanted to surge and was a nightmare keeping low speeds. So got advice off the forums and changed the front and rear sprockets and added some end cans and boy did it make a difference. It is now so planted and stomps like hell, ok top is a bit down now but the low and mid are awesome. Its also very comfortable even though I am 6.3ft, although the mirrors are useless and had to add some spacers to them to make them useable ish. Its also slightly let down on the paint quality on the tank as its water based and showed signs of wear after just a couple of hundered miles. But that said it is easily the best bike I have ever owned and you get a smile every ride and is great fun on the twisties.

modded 2007 RSVR

02 May 2008 by 34hotrodford

The bike is an 07 bought from Taz motorcycles with the Akropovic cans thrown in for nowt. I enjoyed the bike, but thought the bottom end wasnt all it should be and the suspension very unforgiving and a little scary over rough back roads. A few head shakes when the front lifts and it felt very tall and heavy. My brother bought one at the same time as me and convinced me we should try to improve them slightly ( against my better judgeent )It has now had a steering damper, power commander and renegade air box fitted. This was fitted and the bike was dyno'd by the excellent lads at Southern Cross motorcycles in London. They also set the suspension up which has made a massive difference. The power, noise and rideability of the bike has been completely changed for the good. I can only tell you what a fantastic machine this is to ride, smiles all the way.The guys at Southern cross fitted some crash bungs through the fairing too, and made an excellent job so you can hardly tell they had cut the panels. On the downside I have had a ooolant leak from the crimped hose clips on the rad and the adjuster on the bottom of the rear shock lost its ratchet with muck getting in all within 10 weeks. Easily sorted though. The battery has gone flat on me too, but you cant turn the lights off when the ignition is on, battery dies very quickly. Note to self, dont leave the ignition on when tinkering to stop the alarm going off Ride one and see for yourself, anyone who has one, seriously consider getting the mods done, you cant imagine how much this transforms the bike

I Have Finnnnnnally

07 March 2008 by toe_down_sv_racing

Got myself on the factory and used with intent for toe-down, and i was in no way unimpressed. my "unique" or "bizarre" riding style suited perfectly, 25 mins of skuffing knuckles to alter the suspension was worth every second when i had the knee down on the first roundabout from cold, AMAZED. at first i was slightly aprehensive of being lent it for a "lil blitz" around my fave RaB's but i quickly settled with great amuzment. after coming from the SV following a good 4 hours hard peg scraping, the RSV felt almost easy! despite being what, 20KG heavier, the superior frame and adjustment made the whole show a lot more entertaining. i cannot obv call on the quality of the manufacturing or the value as yet as A) i dont own it and B) its 2 years old, but everything seemed very well put together. i wanna take a VTR SP2 out for some abuse before i can say which big twin is the best for none-ducati money, a 10k trick twin? RSV me away, :P shame im still 22 haha who'd insure me??????? er, someone wanna lend me a SP2 for a few hours??? :P iam in lurve.

went from a ducati 749 to this

25 June 2007 by jon88

been there and done the ducati thing and got it out my system, dont miss it one little bit,i have just bought the new 07 rsvr v60, looks wise its awesome silver red. great powerplant stock pipes sound fine not silent wich is nice. ride and handle once the suspension was set up is planted, truly, on the down side so far all i can pick fault with is the position of the indicator switch. its way to low and horn is in the place were normaly the indicators are ?? odd.

Sold 2002 Mille (which I loved it to bits) to buy new RSVR

20 July 2006 by baileysam

Bought new nov 2005 the money I saved on a deal I spent on on the bike it now has ohlins steering damper r&g crash bungs tail tidy acrapovic sp cans k&n air filter power commander fitted by seastar it is now pushing out 130.50 bhp at the rear wheel & 73 ft.lb of torque more bottom end more mid range joy to ride. Strengths: easy to ride fast, good package. Weaknesses: back brake does not work and needs bleeding a lot

Almost bought a Ducati - until I saw the RSVR Factory in the flesh!

09 July 2006 by R6DAN

Had an r6 before this and after having a short ride on a ducati a few years ago, i wanted a v twin ever since. nearly bought a ducati but was put off by running costs. ok the aprilia factory isn't exactly cheap to run either, but nothing like the dukes. and they're more reliable, and look nicer, and quite rare. Strengths: equipped with ohlins front and rear and ohlins stearing damper, it takes alot to upset this bike. the brembo brakes are amazing and engine has loads of torque, and if you get a nice set of race cans (i have twin carbon arrows) they sound awesome. And i'll say it again, they are one of the best looking bikes i've seen. turns heads everywhere you go and people always comment on it. doen't feel heavy when riding it and flicks into corners very quick. Weaknesses: i've heard if you order parts from aprilia, you could have to wait a while for them to arrive, but there are alternative place to get parts from, specially around the internet, although i haven't had to buy any yet. the clutch master cylinder is a bit of a pain in the ass as it needs bleeding about every 300 miles but this only takes 2 mins. and no, they certainly aren't comfy... but hey, what sports bikes are these days? gearbox is a little clunky and hard to find neutral, but u get used to it.

2004 model - Just bought

11 September 2004 by jontymo

Awesome bike, just traded in my 2003 gsxr600 and was a little worried about not having a full blown sports bike, forget it this is one awesome bike, just had 600 mile service and writing this as i got back from using them extra revs, takes a little getting used to, locked up the rear a few times flying into corners and shifting down, but just me not used to the engine braking. Strengths: Midrange, Front brakes, not many about. Weaknesses: Lack of room under rear seat!!!!

• Aprilia RSV1000R