Hopkins fastest in Japan
Suzuki rider John Hopkins has claimed his first MotoGP provisional pole ahead of this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi.
Hopkins is on a roll, having claimed his best race finish -sixth - at Estoril two weeks ago. In Friday's qualifying practice he headed Valentino Rossi. At the Honda-owned circuit Makoto Tamada is the highest placed Honda qualifier - in third.
Carlos Checa was fastest in the morning free practice but crashed twice in the afternoon first qualifying practice - which meant he qualified 13th. He was unhurt.
Max Biaggi is fourth fastest.
Rossi goes into the race 29 points ahead of Sete Gibernau at the top of the championship.
Discuss MotoGP. Click here
Full qualifying listings:
1. John Hopkins, Suzuki 1:47.23s
2. Valentino Rossi, Yamaha, 1:47.275s
3. Makoto Tamada, Honda, 1:47.65s
4. Max Biaggi, Honda, 1:47.814s
5. Loris Capirossi, Ducati, 1:47.886s
6. Kenny Roberts, Suzuki 1:47.929s
7. Alex Barros, Honda 1:47.963s
8. Nicky Hayden, Honda 1:48.071s
9. Troy Bayliss, Ducati 1:48.174s
10. Sete Gibernau, Honda 1:48.195s
11. Colin Edwards, Honda 1:48.221s
12. Marco Melandri, Yamaha, 1: 48.425s
13. Carlos Checa, Yamaha 1:48.658s
14. Neil Hodgson, Ducati 1:48.728s
15. Norick Abe, Yamaha 1:48.731s
16. Tohru Ukawa, Honda, 1: 48.874s
17. Alex Hofmann, Kawasaki 1:48.885 secs
18. Ruben Xaus, Ducati 1: 49.034s
19. Shinya Nakano, Kawasaki 1:49.203s
20. Olivier Jacque, Moriwaki WCM 1:49.545s
21. Jeremy McWilliams, Aprilia 1:49.7s
22. Nobuatsu Aoki, Proton 1:51.718s
23. Shane Byrne Aprilia 1:51.928s
DNQ: Youichi Ui, Harris WCM 1:55.738s