Ad closing in seconds....

BMW K1300GT (2009-2013) Review

Published: 02 February 2009

"A Grand Tourer in the true sense of the words"

BMW K1300GT - continent crusher

"A Grand Tourer in the true sense of the words"

The BMW K1300GT is a Grand Tourer in the true sense of the words. It manages to combine massive performance with supreme practicality and comfort. There’s no getting away from the sheer size of the BMW K1300GT - it’s a massive chunk of engineering that looks and feels imposing at a standstill. Get it moving, however and that bulk just evaporates and it becomes a truly wieldy bike. Add in heated grips and seat as well a massive panniers and an electrically-adjustable screen and hundreds of miles in a day are easy meat. And don’t forget the new K-series range now has proper indicators rather than the confusing triple switches of old.

There are so many bikes out there that don’t handle and ride as well as the BMW K1300GT that are supposed to be ‘sports-focussed’ bikes it’s simply astounding how easy the BMW K1300GT is to chuck around. Most of the thanks to this can go to the wonderfully easy to use ESA II electrically adjustable suspension which can be tweaked from ultra-soft Comfort through to the much tauter Sport setting.

With 160bhp on tap from a slightly detuned version of the K1300 inline four-cylinder motor the performance of the big BMW K1300GT is a bit startling. You just don’t expect something so large to move with such a sense of urgency. The motor has huge torque reserves and almost any gear acceleration gives the ability of blitzing past lines of traffic in an instant.

Few bikes shrug off winter better than a BMW motorcycle but it will still need regular attention to keep it looking shiny. The uprated shaft drive means less maintenance and expense than a chain.  A few of the BMW K1200GT previous models seemed to have suffered from vibration and quite high oil consumption but the new engine should stop that happening.

It may cost a fair pile of cash at £12,240 but the BMW K1300GT does come fairly well stacked with comforts as standard. The options list is pretty comprehensive and it just depends on how deep your pockets are as to how many you fancy. If you opt ofr the £13,340 SE model then a fair amount of kit gets chucked in for a bit of a discount over choosing them individually. The list includes heated seat, grips, high screen, cruise control and ESA II. Find a BMW K1300GT for sale

Insurance group: 17 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The BMW K1300GT has got the lot – either standard or as options. Hard panniers are standard and massive, the front screen is electrically adjustable, there are heated grips and heated seats which are independently adjustable for rider and pillion and get almost too hot. It’s easily possible to cover some seriously big miles of the GT at an almost ludicrous pace and in perfect comfort. Compare and buy parts for the BMW K1300GT in the MCN Shop.

Year introduced 2009
Year discontinued 2013
Original price £13,500
1/4-mile acceleration 12 secs
Engine type Liquid-cooled, twin-cam, 4v four-stroke inline four. Six gears
Frame type Cast aluminium bridge frame
Front suspension Electronically adjustable with ESA
Rear suspension Electronically adjustable with ESA
Front brake 2 x 320 discs with 4-piston calipers
Rear brake 294mm disc with two-piston caliper

K1300GT introduced in 2009 to replace the K1200GT introduced in 2004.

BMW K1300R - naked version.
BMW K1330S - fully-faired version.

25 owners have reviewed their BMW K1300GT (2009-2013) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your BMW K1300GT (2009-2013)

K1300gt review

12 July 2017 by David williams

Best bike ever. Superbly finished high level of equipment nimble as a 600 with big boy grunt. Had mine through the tightest steepest passes in the swiss alps. 2 up fully loaded. It was superb

I am 5'10" short leg i would give this bike 10/5 if it were possible. Had it 4 years and finding it very hard to sell. But now got 16 plate rt le with audio. K1300 still in garage. Cant bring myself to let it go
Only issue i ever had was crud blocking rad. Resulted in overheat. Only happened once cleaned viens in rad then bought fender extender.
Being the se it has cruise. On board comp. Ect high spec

Ballistic Battlecruiser

10 July 2016 by Mike Tuckwood

With the highest power to weight and torque to weight ratio of any bike in its sector, (current up to 2016 bikes included), it's powerful and agile enough to more than keep up in all but there real tight twisty stuff with most sportsbikes. More than capable, with practicality of luggage too. I want a litre sporstbike again too, but to swap it out for one, I'd be losing more than I gained.

A Real Gem.
Just for basic service stuff not including tyres.
Everything you could want on board as standard on this model (EE Exclusive Edition).

Superb all rounder

30 May 2016 by Micky G

I am 5'8" and 31" inside leg, I can put my foot almost flat on the ground. It is a heavy bike but the weight is held low. Once on the move all weight disappears and it is easy to manoeuvre. The only fault I can find with the bike is that it is a 'German' stretch to the bars, if you are 6' plus this bike will fit you well. Also I would like a 90 bend on my leg and this is les than that and a bit sporty with seat on highest setting my leg is comfortable but the stretch to the ground is too much. It will cover vast distances easily and the economy is fantastic, the quality of the components and design is superb and it leaves the japs behind with their disjointed designs.

Brakes are astonishing and have never felt the ABS kick in! Round the streets I use comfort and on tour use Normal suspension setting although it does depend on the surface. The bike handles better than any bike I have ever owned! It is a big bike but just lean more and counter steer and it will always get you out of any bother. I ride for two hours before I need a break, and never go past two hours. The screen was a tad small so I got the taller screen but even that allows a bit noise if I duck just 1" it goes silent. The screen is great when touring abroad or in hot conditions as you can lower it and let air into your face or helmet vents. I have full luggage and have used the bike to get the weeks shopping in. I also use it for commuting because it is so nimble on the move.
Engine feels like it has a warp drive fitted! it is smooth and powerful, although I would like a taller top gear e.g. It shows 6000 revs at 80mph and could easily manage 80mph at just 4000 rpm! The engine is totally smooth at 80mph! It has so much torque that I use the gears rather than brakes to regulate speed and it has amazing flexibility.
I have had a wheel carrier replaced under a recall and that is it! No other problems at all. I bought the bike with 6k on it and have done 10k in two years including a France tour. I take off all the fairings every year and clean the engine and exhausts and check for any problems but so far none!
The annual service is around a 100 quid. But there is an expensive one coming up at 18k spark plug change etc. which will be £250-£300 ish! It pays to phone BMW dealerships for a price! I always change my rear drive oil myself every year as it is cheap and I want to make sure it has been done. It pays to dig all the crud out of the magnetic drain plug and use a large medical syringe to put exactly 180ml of oil in the rear drive. I also strip the brakes down and clean them every year. I use Pirelli Angel GT 'A' these are for heavy bikes and the difference is astounding, do not fit normal Angel GT's they are noisy and do not feel right Trust me! I have tried both. My economy is never less than 50mpg and I have seen 60mpg on a long run 250 miles is achievable before fuel light comes on and you have another 30-40 miles after that. I always use 97 octane fuel as recommended in the handbook and get better economy and performance on that. If you don't believe me let the bike run right down and fill up with high octane fuel it will feel like someone has fitted a turbo charger!
My bike was one of the first SE models and does not have traction control, I have never felt the need for it and it is easy to drive. Pirelli Angel GT 'A' tyres are the best I have ever used and the bike is so easy to handle with those fitted. I have heated grips which are great and come as standard. I would recommend the taller touring screen from BMW although not perfect it is better than the original. I have hard wired a Garmin 350LM sat nav into the battery and it works great and can be used on the car also as it comes with suction mount and bike mount. The best thing about the bike is the ride quality and handling!

I bought privately and saved a grand! As with all BM's make sure it has a full service history and that means an oil change every year! the owner had cherished it and had it since new. The bike was advertised in MCN and the price was 7.5k in 2014 and I paid full price as it was so good. I travelled 350 miles to buy the bike as I always look for the condition and history regardless of distance and it pays!

Great bike...all the time its going

30 May 2016 by Colin

Great touring bike, comfortable, handles well,speed and acceleration awesome, if only its reliability was as good

Best when touring but also great for everything else despite its size
Smooth and powerful
Hot start problems, a number of recalls and a new clutch
High figure as you must ensure you have BMW warranty due to its reliability issues.My wife believes BMW in this case stands for Broke More than Works
You want it, its got it

Bought from dealer about 4 years ago at a good price,pleasant enough experience that I would go back

K1300GT

31 December 2015 by Fluff

I loved my R1200RT but wanted something with more power, this fits the bill. Exactly the same ergonomics but with power everywhere.

Excellent ride, which you can change through ESA, brakes great, MPG have done over 200 and still shows 40 odd miles to go.
I love the boxer engine and would have for a R1200RT, if BMW had been able to sell one with 140 BHP I would have bought it, but this is exceptional, sounds like it is running a turbine, then howls as you wind it up. Just so easy to be driving in 6th, makes you lazy.
A BMW what else can you say!
Bought it with only 4600 miles so still waiting, but don't expect its cheap, it wasn't for my R1200RT
I think first owner, bought everything you could get on a K1300GT, absolutely fantastic, love the ESA and the computer, giving MPG and range left.

Bought it privately and got it couriered over to me.

15 October 2015 by juaninamillion

After many years riding BMWs (RT and K1200RS) I was lucky enough to find an almost new (1000 miles) 2010 K1300GT loaded. I just didn't like the 1600 (too big, at least in my mind). I was surprise by the incredible handling of this big bike (even better than my RT). Also, torque is everywhere. So much so that my only contempt is that I wish I had either a taller 6th gear or a 7th gear to cruise at highway speeds at a more relaxed engine regime. Great bike!

It could use a bigger front seat
Amazing!
I assume. It's still new for me.
Lot's of gizmos

Still the ultimate performance tourer!

18 September 2015 by aitchemm

Having been a long-term GS rider and also toured on all the other big BMs I never really saw myself as a customer for an out and out touring bike - until I toured on a K1300GT. It has all the proper touring stuff (cruise, heated seat and grips, 250 mile plus range, good ride, ESA, you name it. But it also handles better than you could possibly expect and seriously goes like the Millenium Falcon. So - last year I deliberately sought out the best one I could find - a 2010 EE model - and I haven't regretted it

Brilliant brakes. ABS doesn't get in the way. ESA suspension is adjustable on the move with three settings. Comfort setting too soft and bouncy to be used much. On some rural roads I can get a kind of resonance in the front suspension that is hard to dial out but otherwise the ride and handling are ace. I am 5 ft 10in tall and use the higher seat position. if you are taller than 6 ft you may well find your legs too bent on long rides.
This is the real point of the bike. Its a stonking engine and never disappoints when to ask for a bit more power. The real bonus is that its also one of the most flexible, you can trickle along in traffic in 4th or 5th and when the road clears just open up. Absolute magic.
This is a seriously well-built bike. Little things like quality of fastners make a difference. My own bike did have switchgear replaced under warranty before I bought it (its a common failing) but otherwise its been 100%. I know there were some issues on the K1200GT but the K13 seems to have nailed them pretty well.
It'll never be a cheap bike to own or run. I've only paid for one 6000 mile service so far and £200 seemed fair enough. Fuel is good at 50mpg. It will run fine on 95 octane but for sure it's better on 98. Insurance grouping is as high as you would expect. The good news is that residuals seem to be holding up well.
Well I have the EE edition which came with everything I could think of. Compared to the latest BMs the digital display is a bit dim, there is no integrated GPS (not a great loss) and the ESA only controls suspension setting and not the power curve. However the power curve is so great I don't mind a bit. The only option I have added is a larger screen - but the jury is out on whether that was worthwhile.

Bought used from Lincolnshire Motorcycles who were a pleasure to deal with. Recommended.

Why bother with a K1600 when this does exactly the same for less

27 August 2015 by steve roake

i came to this after 19 years on an FJ1200 and it blew me away. The range in the tank coupled to Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres and a zenon headlight, instantly told me this was a serious mile muncher. It does everything effortlessly and averages over 50 mpg

single finger braking is nice, front and back is linked, and you dont feel the abs kicking in
effortless delivery from 1500 revs upwards, doesnt buzz, you can sit for hours with the cruise control on and it simply delivers
yes things do actually go wrong, but invariably BMW have a warranty recall on them. For example the rear brake carrier got changed under recall as some crack. Both sets of instrument switchgear (£600 worth) were changed under recall quibble free.
Interim or annual service is about £180, larger service around £300 but both include a new courtesy bike for the day
headlight, electronic ESA, cruise control, heated seat and grips. Ive put a larger american screen on as im 6ft 3in and ive put 138db strobel airhorns under the fairing. Michelin pilot sports 3/4 are a great tyre lasting 8000 back more on the front. The one gripe is the BMW Garmin V sat nav costs £700 and ive still yet to buy one but know once i have i will enjoy it

Bought from Vines in Guildford, useless dealer more interested in selling cars than paying attention to bike customers. Bought mine used and approved and it took them a month to sort a problem with the top box. Bahnstormers in Alton (20 miles away) are a breathe of fresh air-like a flip of a coin, never anything is too much - bike only dealer. enough said. I paid £9500 in 2013 with 13,000 on the clock, 2 years on its got another 14,000 on it now.

Awesome

17 July 2013 by slparry

The slant engined K's are awesome .... the comment in MCN's review "rather than the confusing triple switches of old" is in my view pointless as it only appears to be journalists who hop from bike to bike that found them confusing, the rest of us soon adapt and I actually prefer the three switch set up

Probably Best Bike, Ever

06 March 2013 by Anonymous

After over 30 years of riding with last 2 bikes being Blackbirds, the K1300GT is amazing, so easy to ride really fast everywhere and in comfort, so easy to just pile on the miles and never lacking in reserves of power but still avg >48mpg with range >250 miles. Not quite as smooth as the K1600 but easier to move around and much less costly. Equally happy at low speeds with super flexible engine making light of u-turns, hairpins or traffic filtering. Suspension, especially with the ESA, and handling excellent and can surprise many sports bikes, brakes outstanding in any weather and confidence inspiring. Not 100% but damn close, all minor problems very quickly fixed and BMW service 1st class. It's getting rarer and with great residuals this is a bike to keep for ever!

Excellent bike

02 December 2012 by robespierre

I have owned this bike for the last 9 months after deciding that i was getting too old for my Blackbird. I wanted a more upright position. Read lost of reviews and decided this was the bike for me. However I also read about a lot of problems so was slightly apprehensive. On the test ride, it had trouble starting after having running it for a bit, which didnt bode well. I reported it to the shop and they said they would get BMW to check it out. It required the hot starting mod which I had read about. I got it at 12000 on the clock. I have now put another few thousand on it without any problems. It is perfect for motorway cruising which I do alot but also fun when you twist the wrist and I mean alot of fun. There's no question its not as sexy as the Blackbird, but for a workhorse it really hits the spot (and its fun playing with the gadgets when riding, keeps the boredom away).

All the bike you'll ever need

18 September 2012 by haythornem

Changed to sports tourers after half a dozen sports bikes due to problems with wrists...1150 RT first (not bad but slow), then 1200 RT (much better but very heavy when fully laden plus pillion and still not fast enough) then this...the bike equivalent of the Millennium Falcon. Utterly brilliant. Fast, comfortable, good fuel consumption, great handling and close enough to my Blackbird as to make not too much difference. Commiserations to biker mates who have had problems but maybe I'm just lucky. Had it now since May 2010, done 12000 miles on it and not missed a beat. Can't see me ever selling it, despite the excellent residual value....it just does the lot....love it to bits.

Lovely Bike

18 November 2011 by Anonymous

My old Fazer 1000 was very tired (after 70K miles of year round use) so I treated myself to an ex demo 1300 GT at the start of the year and have since covered 15k miles. I love the engine (far more flexible than the Fazer), yet it delivers comparable economy (47-55 mpg, depending on weather and mood!). Being 6'1 and 15 stone, the bike fits me very well, but 100 miles is as much as I want to do before I need to stretch my legs. Handles amazing and is beautifully balanced at low speeds. Love the toys (Cruise Control & ESA are my favourite). Indicator Switch and rear oil seal recently replaced under warranty. No other problems. I wanted a comfy bike that went like a b@st@rd and delivered 250 miles to a tank ...job done (and I still enjoy riding it every day) Very impressed so far...expensive I know, but by far the best bike I have owned.

It fails on reliability

04 October 2011 by shumifan50

Having been stranded twice at night, in the first 1000 miles, with a broken high beam switch, I do not rate this bike at all. Having high beam is not a luxury, it is essentail on A roads. However good the rest of the bike is, this is an overriding 1 overall.

it's not a bike it's a time machine

25 September 2011 by Anonymous

It's not the mph that it can do, it's the acceleration. Simply stunning for a GT. I'll quote my friend on his Pan. He was in front with 4 cars between us. He glanced in his mirror and saw me back there "Then I glanced again and you were right behind me. I can't believe it. How did you do that?" The technology on the bike gives me such confidence. I know it'll look after me. It says, you're a twat for trying that and here's a yellow light to let you know I just saved your life. I've been riding different bmw's for 20 years and this is by far the best one. There are so many best things about this bike IE, The Xenon head light is like riding in daylight, The fuel range indicator is totally accurate, 51.9 mpg, All the heated bits, brakes that could stop a small planet revolving and agility that's like flicking a playing card down the high street. Ride it for pleasure, it's impossible not to.

A moveable beast

08 September 2011 by nicksloane

I love my K1300GT. I think the only reason to upgrade to the K1600GT (which I did have the pleasure of test riding recently) is if you do a lot of two up riding. I think the suspension on the K16 is better however; with a tad more low end torque. Other than going through tires quickly, the bike has ridden like a champ

amazing

25 June 2011 by rp500

Simply fabulous bike, very confused about people's comments on this bike it just simply surpasses everything out there in the same category.

You won’t be disappointed

27 November 2009 by davidobrian

My trusty 1986 R80RT was just about on its last legs having served me well since new and had taken my wife and me all over Europe in its life. And although we hadn’t been on two wheels for a few years the yearning was building. So, last year we had decided to buy another touring bike and I spent a great deal of time testing all of the machines currently on the market. The FJ was ….OK. The Pan was predictable. And the Kawasaki frightened the pants off of me and I was sure that I would lose my licence within weeks of owning it. And the Moto Guzzi? – don’t go there! I knew that BMW were about the launch a new tourer, the K1300GT, and hopefully they would put right the short falls of the above, so I held off. It was launched and in my local dealership in late February and if looks were to go by I would have married it there and then. As it had just been launched it was “look only and do not touch” but I was able to book a test ride the following weekend. The day could not come quickly enough. A friend and I turned up early at Balderstone’s of Peterborough and after the usual formalities set of for the afternoon. I was convinced. It was smooth, comfortable and powerful. Without trying I was getting 50 mpg, according to the computer, and everything about the machine was what I wanted. Sadly the cost was prohibitive and the waiting list was quoted as 8 weeks and so after an afternoon of great riding I had to give it back. A week later whilst browsing though the internet I came across the exact bike for sale. I rang the dealer who told be that BMW had given him 2 test bikes and as he only needed 1 he was selling the other. It was the SE model, and in the blue that I wanted. After some negotiation on the price for this second hand bike, it had 800 miles on it, in order not to miss out; my credit card was hit – hard. I arranged to collect the machine the following weekend from Bath Street Motors in Bristol and, as promised, the guys there had it waiting for me as described. I now have 8000 miles on the clock and still I smile each time I open the garage door. It still looks great, the engine is loosing up now and so smooth and although initially no matter how I drove, around town, cross country or on the motorways I always returned 47.5 mpg, at 1500 miles just as though someone had flicked a switch it loosen up I easily achieve in excess of 55+ mpg, 2 up with luggage. The engine is smooth and vibration free and the power delivery does not jerk your head off but is in full force when needed. The luggage is a little smaller than I am used to but a cavernous top box makes up for it. (Although expensive, £400.00 plus £100 to spray it the same colour the rest of the bike and panniers). One negative point is the fact that it is very top heavy and whilst turning around on my drive at less than walking pace the front wheel tucked in and I laid it down, scratching the fairing and the right pannier. Normally I am strong enough to stop it going down, but not this time, it’s weight got the better of me. I had to raise the seat to get a more comfortable position, but still find the pegs a little too high for me, (I am 6’ 0” tall), and on a recent long haul to Cornwall it became apparent that although the seat was firm, it is a little too narrow and I found myself having to stop regularly to get feeling back into my bum after the first 150 miles. I am now investing in an Air Hawk cushion for out next trip. Wife had no such problem. I don’t know if that was as a result of the width of the seat or the width of her ……… :-)! The handle bar lay out is very good with everything easily to hand although I question how long the indicator and cruise control selector switches will last as they are very small on equally small stalks and do get abuse from my thick gloved fingers. And on que following a recent hot spell when I had motored the screen to its lowest position for more air relief I was unable to get it back up again when the rain started. The following day the indicators gave up also and so did the suspension adjustment facility. BMW Northampton quickly identified a faulty left hand switch cluster and changed it straight away, although it took over an hour as the new switch gear had to be programmed on their computer before it worked. No DIY job then! I have purchased the Garmin Sat Nav mounting bracket and power feed for by Zumo 550 and via my Nolan blue tooth helmet both my phone and the Garmin talk to my helmet. Giving me an office on 2 wheels. Not every body’s choice, but in my line of work a must. BMW have gone back to the traditional indicator lay out opting for a one switch does all rather than a switch on each side. I am sure BMW traditionalists will take some time to switch back to this lay out but I prefer it. I wish the screen was taller and a little wider, my wife especially complains about being buffeted above 75 mph, but I think that is combination of age and her being used to the bucket fairing of the R80 RT. The cruise control is the best and a god sent on long trips and works very well. Another negative point is that I have the high current Xenon headlamp fitted that is the best at night, but if you stall the bike at traffic lights and don’t hit the starter button within 5 seconds, the battery goes flat. In summary this model is expensive, compared with the deals that the other big three are doing during the credit crunch, but if you want a powerful, comfortable, economic, smooth, good looking touring machine then my advice is bite the bullet – you won’t be disappointed.

Expectations Exceeded

20 October 2009 by Monein

The K1300GT has exceed all my expectations following recent trade-in from a R1200RT. The 6 hour run from Caen to Pau, 800km, was accomplished with ease and without any stress whatsoever. The power and handling is almost comparable with my CBR954, although the additional 60kg of the K1300GT has a detrimental effect on manouvering in the sharper corners. All the controls have functioned without blemish and I have felt no vibration throughout my initial 800 miles.

happy chappy

06 October 2009 by woollyone

I recently purchased the K1300GT SE with expectation i was investing in the best sports tourer available. BMW have certainly delivered exactly what they intended too here- a real Grand Tourer. Apart from a faulty right hand blinker switch block which was promtly replaced, the K has been a pleasure to ride (or moreso glide) around the country side. With just 8,000k on the clock it has loosened up very well and has taken me safely over hairpin mountain turns to the high altitude sweeping bends of the snowy highway in the Aussie alps right through to Sydney and Melbourne gridlock. I noted the complaint of poor seating however i recently completed a 1600 k trip over all terain (including 30k of dirt track) and a stop every 2.5-3 hours was all that was required to restore the blood supply to my butt. It used little or no fuel (4.8 lt/100k) fully loaded (i weigh 100k plus 20k of luggage). Like another rider commented the K1300 has restored my passion to ride again. Wirth every hard earned aussie cent!

still a pile of sh*te!

12 September 2009 by mark2jag

Youd really need to read my previous comments before reading this as everything i said still applies, except its now slightly less thirsty. I complained about vibration, and in an attempt to cure it BMW PARK LANE fitted a complete new clutch assembly. Not only has it not made it much better but it nows screeches at random intervals when you pull away. The vibration i initially complained about is still there so think its time to reject the bloody thing while i still can. Not that BMW PARK LANE will buy it back off me because ive allegedly left the 1st service too late by an astoundingly extravagant 80 MILES!!!. IF i'd been able to get it serviced when i asked them the second time I wouldnt have had to go over the maximum limit in the first place. Am told they cant sell it as an approved used bike because of this 80 mile discrepancy.Complete B*LL*CKS as no other dealer seems to have a problem with this including BAHNSTORMERS who were brilliant and fitted me in for a service at very very short notice and did the job cheaper than PARK LANE even though I didnt buy the bike from them. Also seems like PARK LANE are looking for any excuse to not buy back the bike, and by the way can only go to them as its all tied into the black horse finance company too!! I even wrote to a certain motorcyle magazine with news on its mind in the hope they might be interested but no news back so guess even they dont give a toss and its not really any concern that at 1560 miles i've had to have a complete new clutch,as most people buying BMW's DO have endless pockets, dont they??? I damn well dont.....

what a pile of sh*te

12 September 2009 by Anonymous

Oh Dear!!!!!

05 August 2009 by mark2jag

1 week old K1300GT, problems as follows. The worst and most uncomfortable seat in the history of history itself (in my opinion, which you may not agree with, but there you go!!)and vibration problem occuring at around 5k, which im trying to stick to as im running it in. Bloody horrendous fuel consumption swallowing almost a whole tankful in 80 (YES 80!!) miles. Paint too thin and scratches far too easily, not to mention expensively. Wont restart if you try and start it while the fan is running, just makes that dead battery sound you love to hear when you are in a hurry!!! The headlight may WELL KILL YOU (LITERALLY!!) as it lights up almost directly ahead of the front wheel and not much more. This may just be a matter of adjustment. I have no axe to grind with this bike, and am just saying it how it is. the good points are that below about 4000 REVS ITS REALLY QUITE SMOOTH but then its goes a bit rough from there upwards. The panniers which it comes with are big enough for a full face lid in both. The odds and ends pocket in the fairing has come in quite useful a few times, and has the added bonus of being lockable. It really does handle well and I have no problem trusting it when leant over, so far anyway.I am glad its a BMW as all the faults I've mentioned are being addressed on Monday, and if they can stop it vibrating and drinking fuel and getting me a more comfortable seat (Lower seat is allegedly much more comfortable, dunno why though!!)Then that'll do for me!

Suits me sir!

08 July 2009 by troutmill

Having ridden the nuts off my RT for 3 years I was anxious about changing to a different sort of bike and several mates had tried the GT and lasted less than an hour on a test ride. Having borrowed one for 24 hrs I started to love it and having owned one now for 2 months it has brought the stupid grin back that comes from biking. Fantastic machine that can and does do big miles but also makes short trips in the country very exciting. Had an early problem with the electrics due to water getting in to the main switchbox thanks to a very wet Ireland trip but this was dealt with promptly and now as Kevin Ash has already reported is a question of 'wait and see'. Great fun and would love to get it on a track day.

The perfect long range bike

04 May 2009 by schnitzergs

Initially I wasn't sure this was a big step forward from the K12GT. For sure the engine is noticably smoother, as is the shift but the ESA2 seemed to have less range of adjustment and, although the new switch gear is good to use, it failed in the first week and hasn't been properly fixed yet. After 4000 miles and I know it rather better - it's simply superb. The engine is much better, torquey & smooth for touring. Get busy and it zings through the rev range with just a hint of buzz at 7k. The intial firm feel of the ESA2 is because its much more controlled. The comfort setting now works for A road cruising as well as motorway slogs. Switch to sport and it teams up with the upgraded motor to transform itself to a real fun bike with some serious go. The only downside is it is very expensive but it does hold its value well and, spread over a couple of years, the overall costs are not so different to lesser bikes.

• BMW K1300GT - continent crusher
  • BMW K1300GT - cockpit
  • BMW K1300GT - front end
All BMW K1300GT for sale
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)