Ad closing in seconds....

SUZUKI GSX-S1000F (2015-on) Review

Published: 06 July 2015

Updated: 06 July 2015

A true road-going sportsbike in almost every sense

SUZUKI GSX-S1000F  (2015-on)

A true road-going sportsbike in almost every sense

It may look a bit soft around the edges, but it’s not the case. With pin-sharp handling and a gutsy motor the GSX-SF is a true sportsbike in almost every sense. If you want usable performance and comfort, you can’t go wrong.

This is no soggy, soft sports tourer, the GSX-SF flicks through bends like a well dialled-in race bike. It’s precise, planted in corners and uncannily stable at speed. There’s fully adjustable Kayaba suspension up front, running slightly more fork oil and a different shim stack to that of the naked version in order to compensate for the fairing and also give the GSX-SF a sportier ride. At the rear a preload and rebound adjustable monoshock links to a current-model GSX-R1000 swingarm to help you hook up the 145bhp from that stonking GSX-R1000 K5-derived engine.

Suzuki have retuned the legendary, long-stroke inline four from the 2005-2008 series GSX-R1000 with revised camshafts that are more suited to road use, as well as new lightweight. And in 2017 the bike got 10bhp more and torque was increased to 80ftlb.

The GSX-SF’s ‘crouching beast’ inspired looks aren’t as dynamic as the range-topping Gixer, but it’s the only area where the GSX-S1000F falls short. The build quality appears to be excellent, chunky and robust. It has a slightly Honda-esque feel to it – chunky and well-made but not particularly inspiring. The K5 engine is a well proven unit, so reliability shouldn’t be an issue.

When you consider that the new GSX-SF is £1000 cheaper than the flagship GSX-R1000 superbike, plus you get the added bonus of traction control too, it makes real sense for riders looking for a seriously useable, comfortable sportsbike.

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

With flat bars 136mm higher than the GSX-R’s clip-ons, and footpegs that are 24mm lower and further forward, the SF’s riding position is a lot more upright and roomy than the race-bred GSX-R1000. Full LCD dash runs the full complement of features: full gauge, gear position indicator, trip meters, traction control level plus live and average mpg readings. There’s also slipper clutch was a welcome addition when the bike was updated in 2017.

Year introduced 2015
Warranty term 2 years
Max torque 78.6 ft-lb
Engine type Liquid cooled, 16v inline four
Frame type Cast aluminium twin spar
Front suspension Fully adjustable 43mm Kayaba inverted fork
Rear suspension Monoshock, adjustable for preload and rebound
Front brake Twin Brembo four piston radial monobloc calipers, ABS
Rear brake Single piston Nissin caliper, ABS
Front tyre size 120/70 R17
Rear tyre size 190/50 R17

Updated in 2017 with more power and torque. A slipper clutch was added and the F became available in all-white as well as red and black.

There's also an unfaired version of the GSX-S1000.

14 owners have reviewed their SUZUKI GSX-S1000F (2015-on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your SUZUKI GSX-S1000F (2015-on)

Joy of joys part 2

12 October 2019 by Suzukiman

See comments below. An extremely good bike.

Excellent for my use. Perhaps rear shock could do with remote pre-load. Other than that it works for me. Brakes are very very good. Barely used because of the engine braking, but when needed they are strong, with beautiful feel. Cornering and braking performance from the suspension is exemplary on all roads, and I find it really comfortable on most road surfaces. Plush, with a firm edge.
Awesome. Sounds refined but aggressive at the same time. Acceleration is instantaneous and engine braking preserves brake pads too. Fantastic control.
A lovely bike to own and ride. I reviewed this when I got the bike in May. Rated it highly then, but even more so now. I've added just over 9000 miles in five months of riding and there is absolutely nothing I can fault. For me, very comfortable. More than quick enough for the road. I am an advanced riding observer, and using the bike on those rides which cover all road types shows me just how excellent the bike is. Very nimble, yet comfy too. The finish looks like new. I've added Oxford heated grips, a 48 litre Givi top box and Suzuki touring screen, which I've topped with a Givi deflector. Also, a tank ring fixing tank bag. Economy-wise I am averaging over 60mpg, without really trying. Just over 200 miles between refills when commuting. Pillion needs to be someone you get on with, or a small person. My wife enjoys the journey up to an hour before needing a break. I can ride all day without any aches at all, and find the seat is plush for my posterior. Bars at a good reach and height, easily adjusted too. So, as you can see, I use this bike a lot, in lots of road conditions and weathers, piling on the miles at about 22000 miles per annul. No issues at all. QUALITY.
8000 mile service cost about £295.
Has everything I need. Dash comprehensive. ABS strong and unobtrusive. Traction has been a revelation to me in the muddy lanes I have to ride along on wet autumn mornings.

Got a good deal from Haslemere Motorcycles.

Joy of joys, what a bike

02 May 2019 by Suzukiman

I have just traded in my GSX1250FA for this amazing bike. My last one did 76,000 miles without any problems at all. Suzuki seem to have nailed reliability, hence my new purchase. No regrets. This bike really rides well, great handling and confidence-inspiring. I test rode a lot of other bikes before settling on this one. The VFR800 came close, but it was the sheer fun-factor that swayed me. I reviewed my last bike as 'honey smooth motor'. Colleagues are commenting on this bike, and all love it.

I've seen some negative comments, but mine is really very good. I ride on roads ranging from dirt track from my house, country lanes, fast A and B-roads and motorways, and this bike copes well with the lot. Corners are a thing of joy. The seat and riding positions are spot-on for me at 5'9". No issues at all with comfort. The brakes are also strong with good control. I don't use them much as I try to anticipate and gently slow down, but grabbed a handful the other day to see what they're like, and was reassured they will do their job.
Smooth, lovely sound. Very lively throttle response, but now I'm used to it I like that part of it. Overtakes are a doddle, and torque is widely spread.
I've only just got the bike so too early to judge. It does look and feel very well put together, so I have high hopes. I rely on my bikes and travel in all weathers all year. The 1250FA did very well in the three and a half years that I had it. I expect this one will be better still, judging from first impressions.
Can't comment on costs too much, but with 8k-mile service intervals I don't imagine it'll be to burdensome. I'll be getting about three services a year with my current mileage.
Good dashboard. Easy to use computer settings, and joyfully easy traction control. It has everything I need, and more.

Got a good deal with Haslemere Motorcycles.

Suzuki GSXS-1000F Phantom- awesome machine

14 December 2018 by Gareth

Would absolutely recommend this machine. I bought the GSXS-1000F when it first came out in 2015, the blue and it gave me three years of totally awesome biking. Lat month I bought the limited edition Phantom, matte black, looks lovely and feels lovely. Great, well built machines.

Quality brakes and stopping. Ride quality is great and comfortable.
Awesome engine that does what you tell it.
Never broken down. Great reliability and great build quality. After 3 years of winter use the last service was quite expensive. But the new Phantom will not be used in the winter.
The original adverts said the bikes audience would be for "above average earners". But, it gives approximately 54mpg. Excellent.
Renthal Fatbars as standard gives a comfortable ride position. Used a set of rear tyres a year, but got good mileage out of them. The dealership fitted a battery charging cable and that was extremely helpful during winter and weeks when I didn't use the bike.

Both bought from dealerships. 2015- Dealership in Cytir Lane, Bangor. NorthWales- excellent customer experience. 2018- Dealership in Lincoln- B&B Motorcycles- excellent customer experience and fantastic staff- so helpful and friendly and what they do not know about Suzuki is not worth knowing.

Suzuki Hits Nail on Head

31 August 2018 by Philip Conroy

I bought this bike as an ex demo with 600mls on clock. I have now completed 13000 miles with a mixture of day riding and touring. This bike has not missed a beat. Its comfortable on long trips and real fun on days out. The fuel economy is great even at high speeds. There is only one very minor issue and that`s the mirrors. (They can come loose, mainly on bumpy motorways at speed which can be a bit interesting!)

Very comfortable and really good riding position for up to about 2hrs. This is not a bike for a pillion.
What can I say its a revamped K5 engine. It`s got real grunt whenever you need it. It pulls right through the mid range, even in higher gears it`ll just pull. You can really work it, it just sings at high revs and is really responsive. Brings a real smile to your face. It`s just as happy at lower speeds.
Typical Suzuki bullet proof engine. No corrosion whatever but fairings are pain to take off for cleaning. The only failure i`ve had was the ignition/ lock. The bike was 3 months out of warranty but here`s customer service, Suzuki covered the cost of all replacement parts. Well done to them!
This figure is averaged over all services up to 13000 miles. Does not include tyres.

Bought as ex demo from dealer who did me a really good deal with Yoshi extras.

Not the bike for me

26 August 2018 by Walter Duroe

Mine is the 2017 model, which is supposed to have decent fueling, but it doesn't. The rear shock must have cost Suzuki £10 as it is total junk. The engine is very vibey. Good points include: it is very comfy, the gearbox is superb and the mirrors are the best I've ever come across. It is also very fast, with very good fuel economy. I'm stuck with either giving it away or keeping the thing and spending £1200 to make it work. It will still be a vibey pig though. I reckon I will take a big financial hit and dump it.

Great brakes,awful rear shock
very powerfull ,very vibey
It is reliable and shiny
Enough toys for me

Bought from bikers world in Daventry,Decent deal quite friendly until i tried to get it sorted or sold. Got a definate feeling i was a nuisance when ringing, I will not trouble them again ! Had it serviced at St neots Suzuki and i have to say the fuelling is way better now. If it wasnt so vibey i would buy a shock and keep it

The mature (ish) superbike

13 January 2018 by VeryHappyOwner2018

This is an excellent excellent machine. All the benefits of the GSXR 1000, with far less of the impracticality of owning a 1000cc superbike. The only question mark i have about this is why it took Suzuki so long to create it!

This is an extremely confidence inspiring machine. Turn in is very fast (magnified no doubt by chucking on a sporty set of Michelins). Possibly the easiest bike to ride quickly that I have ever had a go on (including the S1000RR, ZX10R, Fireblade, R1 and 1199 Panigale). On a twisty road, no one will have any trouble keeping up with the superbike friends. Brakes are good, not as initially sharp as my Aprilia Tuono, but nevertheless, I have never had any reason to be overly concerned. And because of the confidence it instils in the rider, it can be ridden quickly in all circumstances (including when it just finished snowing a few weeks ago). Superb
I'm not awarding this full marks because the engine is based on the K5 R1000. I'm giving it full marks because it makes so much useable power, as opposed to headline figures. It has the best low down engine response of any of the inline 4s that I have ridden. It has an instantaneous throttle response, which some have complained about, but I personally really like that, and wish more bikes were like that. It also sounds great, even with the standard exhaust. As for performance, it's got plenty.
It's a Japanese bike, which should tell everyone all they need to know regarding how little trouble it has been owning this. Even when I dropped it (entirely my own fault, not the bike's), all the damage was merely cosmetic and it has ridden just as well since being repaired.
I didn't buy it new, deciding to let someone else suffer the depreciation, especially as there is not a huge difference between the original and the 2017 update. No matter how I ride it, it refuses to return below 40 mpg. Which for a bike of this calibre is superb. Very affordable
Not much in the way of electronic back-up and all the better for it! ABS to stop me hitting a tree. Traction control has saved my bacon a few times. No power modes thank goodness.

Very good. Bought from a Suzuki Dealership in North London. Still in touch with many of the staff there (by choice, not necessity).

A Hidden Gem that the press struggle to pigeon hole!

08 December 2017 by SGW

Great real world sportsbike for every day use. 5000 miles in 12 weeks of ownership, Buy this instead of an adventure bike its way more fun. The Gixus feels small, almost like a 600. It is fast, economical, comfortable, reliable, excellent value for money and great fun to ride. If you cover lots of miles buy this instead of an adventure bike its way more enjoyable! Make sure you ride the bike, some suffer from a snatchy throttle, mine is stock and has no issue, the bad reputation enables some amazing purchasing deals both new and used! This is a hidden gem of a bike!

Ride quality is good, very comfortable on full day ride outs no numb bum, wrist or neck ache. Seat is wide and has ample padding & I find bar, peg location ideal. Screen works okay to 80 mph after that there is buffeting unless you tuck in slightly. Brakes are good after initial sponginess on front, back is slightly weak although the ABS does kick in so I must lock up on my other Non ABS bike.
Great engine with loads of pull, a bang in the middle and a real rush to the limiter. Sounds great even with the stock exhaust but doesn't have the theatre of the MT10s cross plane. Nothing in it performance wise. Suzuki claim about 145hp and most dynos support this, Yam claim 158 but rarely produce more than 145 on the Dyno. Do not believe sales hype! Just for fun I tried playing through the very slick gearbox, no quickshifter or blipper but do you really need it? You can potter around in top from 22mph and pull cleanly away or sit at 70 in any gear. My only gripe is he ratios taken straight from the GSXR, they are too close so you really only need 1st 3rd 4th and 6th. It would have been great if they opened up the ratios for more road bias with 6th as a low rpm cruiser.
Build quality looks good but some of the fasteners are plated rather than stainless and furring up in the winter. Invest £50 in full stainless fasteners and an ACF coating to make it winter proof.
Surprisingly frugal on a 60 mile motorway commute, hitting 57mpg and 200 miles on a tank. Hard weekend riding with R1s (it keeps up easy) and similar pulls it down to 40mpg. Service is 7500 miles so costs aren't excessive. Riding on Metzeller Roadtec 01s, went to a 55 profile rear they have excellent grip and feel.
Multi function dash and easy to use traction are really good. I dislike the one headlight on look on dip beam and really wish that Suzuki had included cruise control

Was ready to strike a deal on a brand new bike from Powerslide in Stoke On Trent at £1500 off RRP, Guys there were great. A private bike came up locally saving more than £2k and after looking it over it was mine. A deal too good to miss.

Overall, I wouldn't buy it if i'd tested one properly before :(

14 August 2017 by Harvs

Almost but not quite

The suspension is awful. It's over sprung and underdamped at front and pogo stick on rear. Shame, as its very poised and sharp handling, but gets in a pickle on bumpy fast roads. Throttle is way to sensitive. Brakes are also poor. Very wooden, no feel.
Cracking!
Throttle bodies went on a tour of france :(

Top Bike

05 April 2017 by Richard Walmsley

Very happy, touring kit not needed just wanted a taller screen, lol

Brake lever has to be gripped quite hard. One comment said he was thrown from the seat on bumps and had had to spend almost £1K on suspension mods, all you need is a suspension setup by a pro for £40, job done, mine bounced over bumps, not any more, its great
pulls and pulls , any gear
Corrosion sets in quite early

Good but could be better!

29 September 2016 by Harvs

had mine from new in June 16 and done 3500 on it so far. Cracking engine which is let down by awful on/off throttle. Stutters badly at filtering speed. Rising position is great. I've just paid for suspension overhaul by MCT this week and what a difference ! New rear nitron shock and fork internal springs and oil changed. It now handles as it should when pushed on bumpy British roads! Brakes are good but lack bite. As soon as a remap is sorted for the throttle issues it will be a great all round bike!

Poor suspension makes the poor throttle even more hard to deal with. If you hit a bump at speed you can find yourself lurched forward or backwards. It's not relaxing and becomes unnecessarily annoying £700 spentbon new suspension front and rear has sorted mine. I may try new pads in front brakes to see if they willl Hine more bite.
Stonking! Pulls like a train with massive amounts of power everywhere. Turn the TC off and it's wheelie heaven! Even sounds great with standard can.
Good equipment all round. Dash has a lot of options for feedback. 3 traction control levels. Standard tyres have been good and rear still not bad with 3500 miles on it. Will swap to bridgestones next. Shame it doesn't have a cruise control

Great deal from Bolton motorcycles. Bob looked after me very nicely. Top dealer.

15 June 2016 by hammerhead

had mine for 10 months now and covered 5000miles, it puts a smile on my face every time I go out. it corners like its on rails and accelerates like a missile. and everytime I park up and walk away I can't resist turning round to admire the bike.....love it. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone

the bike is at its best at speed and cornering at speed, I rode through wales covering 475 miles in a day and I could of jumped back on it and done it again straight away. the brakes are keen and more than capable of slowing you down to more sensible speeds
I can't fault the engine, it sounds sweet and has bags of torque
I love everything about this bike compared to my last bike which was a gsx1250fa. I think the build quality is excellent and I've not had any issues with reliability.
not sure where mcn got their average fuel consumption from, they must have thrashed it everywhere in 3rd gear. I get between 50 and 55mpg every time I go out and get 190miles on a full tank of fuel and I don't spare the horses. I know Suzuki haven't aimed it at the touring market but with the addition of some soft luggage this bike is more than capable.
the renthal fatbars are great and the clock display is good and easy to read and operate. the original tyres where grippy but only lasted 2800miles, I've switched to Michelin 2ct's and nearly covered as much miles and they still look like new

I bought from a dealer and to be fair I got a great part ex price on my trade in

Awesome machine

22 November 2015 by Gareth

Excellent all round, great looking, economical bike.

Excellent ride quality and great Brembo brakes. When brakes are applied, they react.
Great performance and excellent delivery of speed. Awesome torque and great feel at speeds.
Fat bars are great and the stock exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. Other than that, I think panniers would spoil the look of this gorgeous bike.

Excellent service from Bill Smith Motorcycles in Bangor, North Wales

19 September 2015 by Smr66

Ignore the MCN review, this is as much of a superbike as the gsxr only with a more comfortable riding position, picked mine up today and it is brilliant. 100 miles done today with an average 49 mpg and that includes some fast riding

Really to early to judge as only got today, gave it 5 stars as have had suzukis before and always found them reasonable with the running costs

Dealer I bought from was brilliant

18 August 2015 by Cent

Great bike, think Suzuki have cracked the road sports bike sector for people who want a sports bike mainly for the road that is practical comfortable, but can still mix it with your typical drop down barred sports bike. standard can sounds good, i personally like the look, however it has been commented that from the front its got a scooter type look. Think it looks timeless elegant sought of look, bought mine in Triton Blue.

Ride quality is on the slightly stiffer side, (can adjust this if required) brakes didn't seem to have the instant bite my Honda CBR 600F had, need to squeeze them a little harder to get the same bite on the brakes, they seem to be more progressive. Front - Brembo, rear Nissin
Engine seems to pull great, even when you get the gears wrong! I did test ride the naked version of the Z1000 about 5 years ago, which is almost the same engine in the current Z1000SX + a few minor improvements, i have to say the engine in this bike trumps it! it feels livelier, it does at times at low speeds feel snatchier, there again that could be me getting use to a 1000cc coming from a tamer 105bhp 600F Honda CBR to a stated 145Bhp (although during tests by mags they seem to think its more like 160Bhp and that's how it seems to me, compared to my memories of the Z1000.
Quality seems excellent, to early to comment running costs and reliability, i expect reliability to be good, and running costs to be reasonable.
Equipment is pretty good, however i would of preferred analogue dials for speed and revs instead of the entire instrument panel being Lcd

All SUZUKI GSX-S1000F for sale
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)