YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer motorcycle review - Riding

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is a streetbike with an R1 engine – it could have been a compact brute of a machine with fearsome manners and ability to waste sports bikes below 80mph. But it’s actually a big softie with plenty of punch. Arguably the ultimate all round bike – a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer does the lot and does it all extremely well.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is easy, predictable and capable of going quickly on the road. But the forks are quite soft and the front sits quite high. It’ll drag its undercarriage easily enough but it doesn’t feel that composed doing it. Firming up the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's suspension with the adjusters and raising the forks through the yokes can help.

For the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer, Yamaha's engineers lopped the high rev peak power off the R1 engine – but somehow managed to make low down power a little weedy too. A de-tuned bike like this should ooze torque but you have to rev the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer hard if you want it to really fly. Shame. Modifying the carbs can help but it shouldn’t be necessary.

Like so many modern motorcycles, the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's reliability is great but build quality is not so good. Major mechanicals are very rare but corrosion related niggles are common. Plenty of the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's metallic parts will corrode and the EXUP valve in the exhaust can seize too. Headlights, throttle sensor and carb balance can be set wrong from new so they’re worth checking.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer give you plenty of metal for the money. But this is a competitive class. Suzuki’s Bandit 1200 offers a similar if less sophisticated experience for less and the SV1000 has the twin-cylinder charm and a choice of faired or unfaired models. The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer’s still a great buy and it’s got a big following so shouldn’t depreciate too much. Find a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer for sale

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

No fancy stuff on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer but all the basics are well thought out. Good headlights, poor mirrors, modest under seat storage. Comfort’s well above average on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer even if the pillion accommodation’s slightly disappointing. The screen is very low – most Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer owners fit taller versions such as MRA’s Vario touring or double bubble versions – Yamaha even make a taller screen for the FZS1000 Fazer themselves.

43 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005)

04 June 2018 by Jamie

You will be hard pressed to find a bike in this price range which has 'everything' you're looking for from an all rounder. It's fast, comfortable, reliable and easy to ride. Bits corrode if you ride it through winter and the stock wheel paint is... Read more awful. I had the wheels power coated and now they're awesome. You may want to upgrade that suspension and have the carbs 'Ivanised' to get the best from this glorious beast. It has no fancy gadgetry so there's not a lot to go wrong. You could service and maintain this bike easily yourself. I would expect it to do very high miles if looked after. The EXUP valve is annoying to maintain and can seize.

The suspension 2 up is a bit too soft and floaty. I'm ~84kg and it suits my weight perfectly solo. The brakes are ample but they're no brembos. You'll be able to ride this bike all day with no aches or pains and you'll get a good 170-180 miles per tank on long journeys. The Fazer is quite forgiving but I wouldn't recommend it to new riders. You could easily get too confident and find yourself in trouble.
It's the original R1 engine so you'll never be pushing it to its limit. Never misses a beat. The carbs are annoying as standard because they flood so cold starting isn't always a one time affair - you'll need to give it a bit of throttle. Having the carbs Ivanised sorts this out apparently. It also sorts out the annoying delay when giving the bike throttle from a stand still. You get used to it.
Mine has never broken down and has always been very reliable but the build quality, in places, leaves a lot to be desired. The engine paint will flake off, some of the bolts will fur up with rust. The paint will peel off the wheels. The pillion footrests will corrode. You can easily sort out these things as they are mostly cosmetic. Look after it and keep it clean and well maintained to minimise problems.
If you buy one of these, make sure it has been looked after with a full service history. If it's over 24k miles ensure that it had the valve clearances checked in the last service. You can pick these bikes up for around £2k but they will not be in great condition or will have little to no service history - if you're not a tinkerer pay a bit more and get one that has been looked after and serviced properly for peace of mind.
The bike is great as standard but you might want a tail tidy, a rear hugger, radiator guard and plenty of ACF50 in the winter to stop those bolts furring up. I recommend Bridgestone T30 Evo tyres to get the best from this bike in all weather conditions.

I bought my bike with a full service history (which I intended to keep up), datatagged from new and HPI clear. The bike had 20k miles when I bought it and I've done nearly 13k miles. I've spend £1200 with a Yamaha main dealer this year having the wheels powder coated, new tyres, wheel bearings, fork seals, seat upholstered, new pads all around and a service. I'm confident that when I sell my bike the next owner will be getting a decent machine and a future classic.

Amazing bike. Even for today.

28 March 2018 by Danny Draper

I love my Fazer 1000 - it has superb acceleration and I've recently done a Europe trip on it with my fiancée, so the bike was fully loaded with panniers and a top box and a pillion and it performed extremely well going through France, around the Alps... Read more into Italy and back through Switzerland. There are bits and pieces that tend to corrode over time - my radiator was badly shot as I'm pretty sure the stock radiator guard does nothing to protect the rad, the stock suspension is rubbish and feels like a broken mattress, so I've gone for the HyperPro kit on mine. Being mechanically minded I just love the fact this bike is so easy to work on. Everything is easy to get to and DIY servicing is a doddle.

Handling is superb (with upgraded suspension) and the comfort is great - Although I have put an airhawk seat in mine. I now could go for hours and hours touring on my FZS1000. Brakes are good - the rear is especially good and doesn't want to lock up your rear at the slightest touch.
Amazing engine. Look after it, and it will look after you. Amazing power and acceleration - has way more power than I have capability.
Some bits are prone to corrosion. If you want to treat the bike replace all the steel bolts with Titanium / Stainless bolts - the disc bolts tend to rust pretty badly if not looked after. Overall extremely well built, but just a few things to keep an eye on.
Oil changes are a doddle, with the radiator off it's easy to check valve clearances. Spark plugs also easy to change - don't even have to lift up the tank. Air filter slightly more tricky but still not hard. I get about 50mpg if ridden gently.
Pretty basic as standard. I'd recommend installing a better windshield - get some LED / HID headlights for extra night time visibility, and upgrade the suspension. If you're going to tour then install a USB charger for your toys. Luggage options are great - Givi do a fantastic pannier rack and great top box options.

I could ride all day

18 February 2018 by FZS 1000 rider

Best features - quick acceleration - smooth delivery - grate handling - lights are good at night - very predictable Worst... Read more features - seat could be a 2 pice rather than one.

Ride quality is perfect. I could ride all day, brakes are good. Abs could be put on for future?
Power is always available if needed to get out a dangerous situation, smooth delivery and plenty of engine braking. Throttle response is very good too.
My fzs 1000cc makes me smile throughout my ride no matter how long or short, it’s very reliable and really does shift when you want it to. Really good handling and the sound she makes with my Beowulf can on is awesome. My fzs is used in all weathers and I trust my bike completely, I went from a suzuki sv650s to my fazer and it’s the best bike I have owned. She looks good and is comfortable to ride. Only down side is she drinks a lot or there’s a hole in my petrol tank! Cracking bike!
Proberbly a longer side stand, leans abit and the stand could have a wider foot (hockey puck needed)

Swapped a Honda cbf 600cc and £200 and the Honda needed work from a dealer.

20 November 2017 by Chrisa

Had one of these back in 2003. Then went to GSXR1000K3 and now just sold a BMW K1600GTL to buy this a second time round. Done track days, IOM and Nurburgring trips on the previous. Will change to drag bars and otherwise just enjoy it. Read more

Comfort and good handling
Great milage

Was happy to pay the dealer price for a 11,000 mile bike with full service history.

I smile everytime I get off this machine!

24 May 2017 by Anon y moose

Do a rear shock conversion/replacement, new valves and springs on the front forks, drop forks through the yolks by 10mm, 2 up on the back & 1 down on the front sprockets and get it fully Ivanised (pref by the Falcon) and this bike is 5 out of 5. Read more

great all rounder , fast and reliable

21 August 2016 by monty

awesome machine, comfortable, quick, reliable Read more

super comfortable, I have changed the brakes for carbon ceramic though, i also replaced the fork oil and seals to stiffen them up and dropped the fork height by 1" it really has done the trick, it will keep up with most sports bikes
very reliable mine is now on 60k and no ticking or tapping still really good power delivery.
as said some issue with corrosion on engine casings, Exup valve had to be cleaned greased and a new cable wheel fitted due to corrosion.
with good service intervals and a good set of tyres you can really keep the cost down. I have always run battleaxe 021 sticky on the sides, hard in the middle and hold heat well.
basic set-up but lights are very good

bought privately from evil bay, did have to replace a few parts on purchase but did get a cracking price.

`If I`d known how good it was, I would have bought 2`

13 March 2016 by Steve Tate

Absolutely superb. If I had known how good it was going to be I would have bought 2 Read more

Superb all round. Very comfortable all day bike
I love the way it just delivers endless grunt, the Yoshimura exhaust does help
Faultless build quality
Tom Knight at The Bike Shop in Faversham does a fantastic job. It goes in for a service and comes out a new bike!
I didn't like the Metzelers it came on new, they felt like they weren't gripping. It's been on Bridgestones since - no complaints

Bought new from Infinity in Purley Easter 2005. Paid £5,500 on the road. Treated very well by the sales staff. Service dept let them down, as usual

03 September 2015 by Paulie

It's takes alot to maintainin it Read more

It's strong for real
If you don't let it go all to crap like the previous owner did

Wolf in Sheeps clothing

18 September 2012 by jayboy

Just bought an FZS1000, first un-faired bike, had to downscale my bike budget and coming from a 2003 R1, I didn't want anything too lacking in grunt, plus the seat and grabrails will hopefully tempt my partner to come out with me now and again. Not... Read more put many miles on it yet so still adjusting to the riding position (comfortable and abnormally high bars for me) but I am getting the hango of it. Had a "spirited" ride out with my mate on his 954 - we're pretty quick together and we were both surprised how quick I could still go round the twisties, it really is easy to ride fast and keep the pace up. Obviously a 1000cc bike is going to be fast enough, but how easy this is to ride at pace was a wonderful surprise. I don't really think the reviews do the bike justice. I have had the usual mix of the Sport bikes like Fireblades, Aprilias, ZX9Rs, VFRs and so on and won't rule out another Sportsbike for the track and short rides when and if I have more cash, but for a one-bike person, this should be considered by everyone. I have dropped the front end 10mm, jacked the rear up to max preload and adjusted damping to suit - and with some cash thrown at the forks and shock and a jet kit, there is surely going to be a storming bike unleashed, that you can ride for several hours at a time and you can also bimble to work through traffic without your wrists getting a caning. Great value bike for the cash, highly recommended.

A Great Machine

09 June 2011 by MarcusMarsh

I have had my 2005 Fazer for almost five years now. I was looking for a machine in this class after selling a BMW1150GS. (At the risk of upsetting all the BMW fans out there I'll say that, although it was the most comfortable and most efficient bike... Read more I have owned, it was sooo BORING!! Sorry, just didn't do it for me.) The choices at the time we machines such as the Suzuki Bandit, which was a little too old school, and the Honda Hornet 900. The Fazer seemed to be the best overall package as the motor at 145BHP had more stomp than the others, it had the suspension lifted from the Thunderace, brakes from the R1 and it had a modern look. I found mine in the MCN classifieds and purchased it as an 18 month old machine with only 1100 miles on it. It was if it had just come out of the crate. So what's it like to own - great! It's a fast and easy bike to ride. The engine is smooth and picks up really well from almost any revs. It's actually a little more modified than the 'detuned R1 engine' label tends to suggest. Amongst other subtle modifications is a heavier flywheel which makes the engine more tractable from low RPM. The carbs are also smaller which give better mid-range. I have not ridden an R1 so can't comment on how much stomp the motor has lost at the top end of the rev range but, take my word for it, it's fast enough! The suspension often comes in for criticism as being too soft and past its best by 10,000 miles. I have increased the pre-load at both ends a little and set the bike up for me. The result is a bike that handles very well and is still comfortable. With 7,000 miles now showing the suspension shows no signs of fading yet. (Yes, I know I have only put 6,000 miles on it but I am lucky enough to own more than one bike. As and when the suspension shows signs of fading I'll upgrade it because I intend to keep this bike long term. There's probably no need to comment on the brakes - R1 stuff so enough said. The riding position is day long comfortable and the controls are light and easy. The switchgear is standard Yamaha fare so no problems there. I usually get around 150 miles to the tank in general use with 170+ on a run. Starting is a first time affair as long as you never use full choke. Even in the coldest weather on half choke is needed or the bike coughs and dies. A lot of the time there is no need to use the choke at all. I have had it checked and no, the bike is not running rich. My machine is also fitted with a Scorpion end can which sounds fantastic; even with the baffles still in. The OE Metzler tyres were not to my liking and have been changed to my preferred choice - Bridgestone BT023's. A big improvement! The half fairing is very effective, particularly with a slightly taller screen. I have a double bubble on mine and cruising at three figure speeds is no problem. The build quality looks good although to be honest it hasn't really been tested as this machine is used mainly in the dry; year round but only on dry roads. There are no stone chips on the paintwork and even the paint on the engine, so often a weak spot, is immaculate. The only mark is on the tail fairing where is caught it a few times with my boot getting on and off the bike. (Well, I am only 5'9") The only let down with this bike so far has been my local Yamaha dealer but I won't go into details. Perhaps I have been spoilt having dealt almost exclusively with Honda dealers in recent years. However, I now use Woking Yamaha for my servicing and they boys down there are top guys. So, there you have it; a good all round machine. When I purchased mine they were still a little under rated so they were a bit of a bargain. You don't see too many for sale and I think that's because, when you own one, you tend to hang onto it when you realize what a good bike this is. How's that for a recommendation? I have seen the described as 'The thinking man's sportsbike' and whilst I don't fully agree with that it's not completely untrue either. Buy one and enjoy.

Year introduced 2000
Year discontinued 2005
Original price -
Engine type 20v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel cradle
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 298mm discs

2000: Original Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer launched.

None.