Ad closing in seconds....

YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer motorcycle review - Riding

"Does the lot and does it all extremely well"

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is a streetbike with an R1 engine – it could have been a compact brute of a machine with fearsome manners and ability to waste sports bikes below 80mph. But it’s actually a big softie with plenty of punch. Arguably the ultimate all round bike – a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer does the lot and does it all extremely well.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer is easy, predictable and capable of going quickly on the road. But the forks are quite soft and the front sits quite high. It’ll drag its undercarriage easily enough but it doesn’t feel that composed doing it. Firming up the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's suspension with the adjusters and raising the forks through the yokes can help.

For the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer, Yamaha's engineers lopped the high rev peak power off the R1 engine – but somehow managed to make low down power a little weedy too. A de-tuned bike like this should ooze torque but you have to rev the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer hard if you want it to really fly. Shame. Modifying the carbs can help but it shouldn’t be necessary.

Like so many modern motorcycles, the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's reliability is great but build quality is not so good. Major mechanicals are very rare but corrosion related niggles are common. Plenty of the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer's metallic parts will corrode and the EXUP valve in the exhaust can seize too. Headlights, throttle sensor and carb balance can be set wrong from new so they’re worth checking.

The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer give you plenty of metal for the money. But this is a competitive class. Suzuki’s Bandit 1200 offers a similar if less sophisticated experience for less and the SV1000 has the twin-cylinder charm and a choice of faired or unfaired models. The Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer’s still a great buy and it’s got a big following so shouldn’t depreciate too much. Find a Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer for sale

Insurance group: 15 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

No fancy stuff on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer but all the basics are well thought out. Good headlights, poor mirrors, modest under seat storage. Comfort’s well above average on the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer even if the pillion accommodation’s slightly disappointing. The screen is very low – most Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer owners fit taller versions such as MRA’s Vario touring or double bubble versions – Yamaha even make a taller screen for the FZS1000 Fazer themselves.

Year introduced 2000
Year discontinued 2005
Original price -
Engine type 20v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel cradle
Front suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension Preload, rebound, compression
Front brake Twin 298mm discs

2000: Original Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer launched.

None.

45 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA FZS1000 FAZER (2000-2005)

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

22 November 2018 by Brainscan88

If you're not completely abusive with the throttle, this bike is close to a perfect all-rounder. Treat it with respect & it'll do wonders. The only negative I could find after one summer is that it will struggle to start sometimes when it's cold. Not a big deal but make sure you keep your battery healthy & add a bit of throttle with the choke if needed. I live in Iceland so that might not be an issue in warmer climates.

Its best quality is the fact that it's a fantastic all-round bike. I chose the title "dr jekyll and mr hyde" because it can be as civil or as aggressive as you like depending on how you choose to ride it. If you keep the engine at 6000 rpm & up it'll be a missile or a hooligan's dream & thanks to its generous torque (it is a 1000 cc bike, after all) it'll be extremely easy to ride without having to change gears often. I can ride through towns with 31mph speed limit up to crazy high speeds, all in 6th gear if I want to. The brakes are very good, super predictable and confidence inspiring. The rear brake especially is fantastic for what it is & actually quite usable; which is not something I could say about my previous bikes. The riding position is brilliant for me. I'm average height at 5ft10" & if I move closer to the tank I'm completely upright with minimal stress on the arms/shoulders. If I want to go fast there's plenty of space on the seat to move side to side & front to back. The seat itself is incredibly comfortable for a bike of this type. That's where Yamaha dropped the ball with the next iteration of this bike. They've made it look better on later models, but they sacrificed comfort for looks/trends. The bike is nimble & very easy to lean + it's also very predictable in the way it behaves. That's what makes it super easy to ride fast, as well. The longest I've ridden it was around 7h on a day trip without feeling any fatigue. That's a small sample size but it bodes well for longer tours in the future. Suspension is plush and it deals with bumps really well while it still lets you ride more aggressively without losing confidence. I could go all day listing great compromises achieved on this bike & that's what ultimately makes it such a great all-rounder. It's not modern when it comes to equipment; there's no ABS, power modes or traction control. But in my opinion, you don't really need those things, especially if you have some experience in riding bikes before you get on this one.
Absolute beast in high rpm range & pulls in any gear uniformly thanks to plenty of torque.
I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport 2 & I'm really happy with the grip in both dry & wet. I also have Oxford heated grips, which can help in colder weather.

Bought privately from an owner who took great care of it. The bike looked like it just came from a show room, with 15000 miles on the clock. The price was relatively high for this year/model, but I won't share it because I live in Iceland & prices here aren't comparable with most of the world. All in all, I got what I paid for & more.

13 September 2018 by Todd

Wouldn't trade for anything else.

Past 7000 rpm and your in warp drive. Still scares the crap out of me.
O rings in carbs let go about 20,000 miles. Rebuild made it feel like brand new.

04 June 2018 by Jamie

You will be hard pressed to find a bike in this price range which has 'everything' you're looking for from an all rounder. It's fast, comfortable, reliable and easy to ride. Bits corrode if you ride it through winter and the stock wheel paint is awful. I had the wheels power coated and now they're awesome. You may want to upgrade that suspension and have the carbs 'Ivanised' to get the best from this glorious beast. It has no fancy gadgetry so there's not a lot to go wrong. You could service and maintain this bike easily yourself. I would expect it to do very high miles if looked after. The EXUP valve is annoying to maintain and can seize.

The suspension 2 up is a bit too soft and floaty. I'm ~84kg and it suits my weight perfectly solo. The brakes are ample but they're no brembos. You'll be able to ride this bike all day with no aches or pains and you'll get a good 170-180 miles per tank on long journeys. The Fazer is quite forgiving but I wouldn't recommend it to new riders. You could easily get too confident and find yourself in trouble.
It's the original R1 engine so you'll never be pushing it to its limit. Never misses a beat. The carbs are annoying as standard because they flood so cold starting isn't always a one time affair - you'll need to give it a bit of throttle. Having the carbs Ivanised sorts this out apparently. It also sorts out the annoying delay when giving the bike throttle from a stand still. You get used to it.
Mine has never broken down and has always been very reliable but the build quality, in places, leaves a lot to be desired. The engine paint will flake off, some of the bolts will fur up with rust. The paint will peel off the wheels. The pillion footrests will corrode. You can easily sort out these things as they are mostly cosmetic. Look after it and keep it clean and well maintained to minimise problems.
If you buy one of these, make sure it has been looked after with a full service history. If it's over 24k miles ensure that it had the valve clearances checked in the last service. You can pick these bikes up for around £2k but they will not be in great condition or will have little to no service history - if you're not a tinkerer pay a bit more and get one that has been looked after and serviced properly for peace of mind.
The bike is great as standard but you might want a tail tidy, a rear hugger, radiator guard and plenty of ACF50 in the winter to stop those bolts furring up. I recommend Bridgestone T30 Evo tyres to get the best from this bike in all weather conditions.

I bought my bike with a full service history (which I intended to keep up), datatagged from new and HPI clear. The bike had 20k miles when I bought it and I've done nearly 13k miles. I've spend £1200 with a Yamaha main dealer this year having the wheels powder coated, new tyres, wheel bearings, fork seals, seat upholstered, new pads all around and a service. I'm confident that when I sell my bike the next owner will be getting a decent machine and a future classic.

Amazing bike. Even for today.

28 March 2018 by Danny Draper

I love my Fazer 1000 - it has superb acceleration and I've recently done a Europe trip on it with my fiancée, so the bike was fully loaded with panniers and a top box and a pillion and it performed extremely well going through France, around the Alps into Italy and back through Switzerland. There are bits and pieces that tend to corrode over time - my radiator was badly shot as I'm pretty sure the stock radiator guard does nothing to protect the rad, the stock suspension is rubbish and feels like a broken mattress, so I've gone for the HyperPro kit on mine. Being mechanically minded I just love the fact this bike is so easy to work on. Everything is easy to get to and DIY servicing is a doddle.

Handling is superb (with upgraded suspension) and the comfort is great - Although I have put an airhawk seat in mine. I now could go for hours and hours touring on my FZS1000. Brakes are good - the rear is especially good and doesn't want to lock up your rear at the slightest touch.
Amazing engine. Look after it, and it will look after you. Amazing power and acceleration - has way more power than I have capability.
Some bits are prone to corrosion. If you want to treat the bike replace all the steel bolts with Titanium / Stainless bolts - the disc bolts tend to rust pretty badly if not looked after. Overall extremely well built, but just a few things to keep an eye on.
Oil changes are a doddle, with the radiator off it's easy to check valve clearances. Spark plugs also easy to change - don't even have to lift up the tank. Air filter slightly more tricky but still not hard. I get about 50mpg if ridden gently.
Pretty basic as standard. I'd recommend installing a better windshield - get some LED / HID headlights for extra night time visibility, and upgrade the suspension. If you're going to tour then install a USB charger for your toys. Luggage options are great - Givi do a fantastic pannier rack and great top box options.

I could ride all day

18 February 2018 by FZS 1000 rider

Best features - quick acceleration - smooth delivery - grate handling - lights are good at night - very predictable Worst features - seat could be a 2 pice rather than one.

Ride quality is perfect. I could ride all day, brakes are good. Abs could be put on for future?
Power is always available if needed to get out a dangerous situation, smooth delivery and plenty of engine braking. Throttle response is very good too.
My fzs 1000cc makes me smile throughout my ride no matter how long or short, it’s very reliable and really does shift when you want it to. Really good handling and the sound she makes with my Beowulf can on is awesome. My fzs is used in all weathers and I trust my bike completely, I went from a suzuki sv650s to my fazer and it’s the best bike I have owned. She looks good and is comfortable to ride. Only down side is she drinks a lot or there’s a hole in my petrol tank! Cracking bike!
Proberbly a longer side stand, leans abit and the stand could have a wider foot (hockey puck needed)

Swapped a Honda cbf 600cc and £200 and the Honda needed work from a dealer.

20 November 2017 by Chrisa

Had one of these back in 2003. Then went to GSXR1000K3 and now just sold a BMW K1600GTL to buy this a second time round. Done track days, IOM and Nurburgring trips on the previous. Will change to drag bars and otherwise just enjoy it.

Comfort and good handling
Great milage

Was happy to pay the dealer price for a 11,000 mile bike with full service history.

I smile everytime I get off this machine!

24 May 2017 by Anon y moose

Do a rear shock conversion/replacement, new valves and springs on the front forks, drop forks through the yolks by 10mm, 2 up on the back & 1 down on the front sprockets and get it fully Ivanised (pref by the Falcon) and this bike is 5 out of 5.

great all rounder , fast and reliable

21 August 2016 by monty

awesome machine, comfortable, quick, reliable

super comfortable, I have changed the brakes for carbon ceramic though, i also replaced the fork oil and seals to stiffen them up and dropped the fork height by 1" it really has done the trick, it will keep up with most sports bikes
very reliable mine is now on 60k and no ticking or tapping still really good power delivery.
as said some issue with corrosion on engine casings, Exup valve had to be cleaned greased and a new cable wheel fitted due to corrosion.
with good service intervals and a good set of tyres you can really keep the cost down. I have always run battleaxe 021 sticky on the sides, hard in the middle and hold heat well.
basic set-up but lights are very good

bought privately from evil bay, did have to replace a few parts on purchase but did get a cracking price.

`If I`d known how good it was, I would have bought 2`

13 March 2016 by Steve Tate

Absolutely superb. If I had known how good it was going to be I would have bought 2

Superb all round. Very comfortable all day bike
I love the way it just delivers endless grunt, the Yoshimura exhaust does help
Faultless build quality
Tom Knight at The Bike Shop in Faversham does a fantastic job. It goes in for a service and comes out a new bike!
I didn't like the Metzelers it came on new, they felt like they weren't gripping. It's been on Bridgestones since - no complaints

Bought new from Infinity in Purley Easter 2005. Paid £5,500 on the road. Treated very well by the sales staff. Service dept let them down, as usual

03 September 2015 by Paulie

It's takes alot to maintainin it

It's strong for real
If you don't let it go all to crap like the previous owner did

Wolf in Sheeps clothing

18 September 2012 by jayboy

Just bought an FZS1000, first un-faired bike, had to downscale my bike budget and coming from a 2003 R1, I didn't want anything too lacking in grunt, plus the seat and grabrails will hopefully tempt my partner to come out with me now and again. Not put many miles on it yet so still adjusting to the riding position (comfortable and abnormally high bars for me) but I am getting the hango of it. Had a "spirited" ride out with my mate on his 954 - we're pretty quick together and we were both surprised how quick I could still go round the twisties, it really is easy to ride fast and keep the pace up. Obviously a 1000cc bike is going to be fast enough, but how easy this is to ride at pace was a wonderful surprise. I don't really think the reviews do the bike justice. I have had the usual mix of the Sport bikes like Fireblades, Aprilias, ZX9Rs, VFRs and so on and won't rule out another Sportsbike for the track and short rides when and if I have more cash, but for a one-bike person, this should be considered by everyone. I have dropped the front end 10mm, jacked the rear up to max preload and adjusted damping to suit - and with some cash thrown at the forks and shock and a jet kit, there is surely going to be a storming bike unleashed, that you can ride for several hours at a time and you can also bimble to work through traffic without your wrists getting a caning. Great value bike for the cash, highly recommended.

A Great Machine

09 June 2011 by MarcusMarsh

I have had my 2005 Fazer for almost five years now. I was looking for a machine in this class after selling a BMW1150GS. (At the risk of upsetting all the BMW fans out there I'll say that, although it was the most comfortable and most efficient bike I have owned, it was sooo BORING!! Sorry, just didn't do it for me.) The choices at the time we machines such as the Suzuki Bandit, which was a little too old school, and the Honda Hornet 900. The Fazer seemed to be the best overall package as the motor at 145BHP had more stomp than the others, it had the suspension lifted from the Thunderace, brakes from the R1 and it had a modern look. I found mine in the MCN classifieds and purchased it as an 18 month old machine with only 1100 miles on it. It was if it had just come out of the crate. So what's it like to own - great! It's a fast and easy bike to ride. The engine is smooth and picks up really well from almost any revs. It's actually a little more modified than the 'detuned R1 engine' label tends to suggest. Amongst other subtle modifications is a heavier flywheel which makes the engine more tractable from low RPM. The carbs are also smaller which give better mid-range. I have not ridden an R1 so can't comment on how much stomp the motor has lost at the top end of the rev range but, take my word for it, it's fast enough! The suspension often comes in for criticism as being too soft and past its best by 10,000 miles. I have increased the pre-load at both ends a little and set the bike up for me. The result is a bike that handles very well and is still comfortable. With 7,000 miles now showing the suspension shows no signs of fading yet. (Yes, I know I have only put 6,000 miles on it but I am lucky enough to own more than one bike. As and when the suspension shows signs of fading I'll upgrade it because I intend to keep this bike long term. There's probably no need to comment on the brakes - R1 stuff so enough said. The riding position is day long comfortable and the controls are light and easy. The switchgear is standard Yamaha fare so no problems there. I usually get around 150 miles to the tank in general use with 170+ on a run. Starting is a first time affair as long as you never use full choke. Even in the coldest weather on half choke is needed or the bike coughs and dies. A lot of the time there is no need to use the choke at all. I have had it checked and no, the bike is not running rich. My machine is also fitted with a Scorpion end can which sounds fantastic; even with the baffles still in. The OE Metzler tyres were not to my liking and have been changed to my preferred choice - Bridgestone BT023's. A big improvement! The half fairing is very effective, particularly with a slightly taller screen. I have a double bubble on mine and cruising at three figure speeds is no problem. The build quality looks good although to be honest it hasn't really been tested as this machine is used mainly in the dry; year round but only on dry roads. There are no stone chips on the paintwork and even the paint on the engine, so often a weak spot, is immaculate. The only mark is on the tail fairing where is caught it a few times with my boot getting on and off the bike. (Well, I am only 5'9") The only let down with this bike so far has been my local Yamaha dealer but I won't go into details. Perhaps I have been spoilt having dealt almost exclusively with Honda dealers in recent years. However, I now use Woking Yamaha for my servicing and they boys down there are top guys. So, there you have it; a good all round machine. When I purchased mine they were still a little under rated so they were a bit of a bargain. You don't see too many for sale and I think that's because, when you own one, you tend to hang onto it when you realize what a good bike this is. How's that for a recommendation? I have seen the described as 'The thinking man's sportsbike' and whilst I don't fully agree with that it's not completely untrue either. Buy one and enjoy.

Great Bike

19 August 2010 by adkinsr

Bought mine new in 04 and now covered over 65,000 miles ...in all weathers. Smooth engine lacks a bit of guts low down but flies once wound up. Finish not very good, especially the silver paint on the engine. Tank range is fantastic since first major service at 24,000 (200 - 240 miles, normal commuting). Handling is quite fun but rear shock died ages ago. I can't really fault the bike, but for some reason I can't say its been my favourite. Lacks a bit of character yet probably the best all-rounder you can buy.

easy fazer

13 May 2010 by DaveScarrott

i had a fazer 600 both old and new versions.the fazer thou is a brilliant bike for what it does, bought it from cmc last september and have not been disappointed.would reccomend.

Under Appreciated

04 December 2009 by Anonymous

The FZS1000 is not always given the credit it deserves. I purchased my '05 model a an 18-month old bike with a thousand miles on it and looking like it just came out of the crate. The previous owner was also good enough to have spent a good few pounds on various items out of the Yamaha accessory catalogue. My views on build quality are probaly not as relevant as some as I do not ride through the worst of the winter (I DO ride in the winter but not in the wet. Been there, done that, don't need it anymore LOL) but as a now almost five year old bike it remains immaculate. Although I do look after my bikes. I have read adverse comments on the suspension but have had no problems with mine and was able to set the bike up for brisk riding with my 13.5 stone frame. I suspect that the suspension on these machines may wear out earlier than on some other machines being budget items. When that happens I will be quite happy to throw a few quid at refurbishment (As I am currently doing with my 38,000 mile VFR800) and may even upgrade to a decent rear shock and springs as the rest of the bike is well worth it. The engine is a peach. Lots of pull in any gear and smooth. The riding position is neutral and day-long comfortable. I have fitted a double-bubble screen as the original is tiny. Fuel consumption is reasonable with 180 mile to the tank possible. Maybe I'll even leave the VFR at home next year and take the Fazer touring. For those looking for the practicalities in life strapping luggage to the bike is easy with pleanty of flat surfaces and anchor points for straps etc. I have a Givi rack and box for mine, which is great kit and does not upset the handling of the machine. I like the bike because it offers good performance and handling in an easy package. On the road it keeps up with most things. To be honest, if you need to go any faster you should really be on a track as the perfomance envelope exceeds anything useable on the road unless you are they type that takes your brain out before putting your helmet on. With a combination of (modified) early R1 engine, excellent brakes and a good chassis I look at the Fazer as the thinking man's sportsbike. And in those terms it really is a very good machine indeed.

Nice but there are better

29 April 2009 by ugg998

Owned a late Gen 1 on a 2006 plate for a few months comming from a 955i Tiger, this bike is very fast and handles like a dream if you ride on your own, Two up it wallows and bucks, if yor fat like mee ha. so a standard rear suspension up grade is needed ( most owners do automaticly) Why on a £8000 bike when launched.I still love it to bit's it reminds me of my 1980 350 LC only twice as fast. (God I'm getting Old)

02 fazer

16 March 2009 by pointrosie

had this bike now for 2yrs and it great for touring ,commuting.Done 8000 miles with her and loved every minite of her.Most miles to a tank 190 or 100 only weakness to me is seat is not very comfy after 50 miles .Tyre choice will change this bike greatly as ive used quite a few,bridgestone deffinatley the way forward she can be a bit of a hooligan and lot of fun Have bought a new honda so dont know what to do with her,keep or sell

excellent bike

19 January 2009 by HensFH

I bought mine new in 2006 . The bike wasn't really available anymore then ,so i got mine very cheap (9250 euro). I ride about 25.000 km a year and had no problems till now. After I mounted bridgestones BT016´s the handling is great . Offcourse in fast bends there is still flexibility in the frame , but I got used to that. Only bad point I have is bad cold start (at very low temp.)

Brilliant bike

17 January 2009 by nickodemon

I purchased the bike new in jan 2005. Standard the bike was slightly slow steering, The engine was a little peaky. Overall it is the best bike i have owned. Comfy, handles well, Brakes fantastic. To improve i have fitted an akrapovic silencer, Had the carbs set up with an ivans kit, raised the back end with jack up kit, fitted a kit to lower the bars (gytr) and a wp rear shock. i would highly recommend this bike to anyone who wants top performance and comfort. I still own it, which says a lot!

So Comfy

05 September 2008 by Andy949494

My dealer gave me one of these as a coutesy bike whilst my ER6F is in for a service (Normally they give a CB500 which is agricultural). Its a bit big physically for me but is so stable and comfy. Riding around town is a joy it is so flexible, well balanced and easy whilst motorway driving was also good at legal speeds in the wet. I can't comment on the performance vs any other 1000 but it was a real shock to find how much better than the ER a bike can be - I definitely need to test ride a few more before my next purchase.

A meat and two veg bike

05 August 2008 by Mjollnir

Is a good bike, at just about everything, but I found that it doesn't excite. It will do all roles more than adiquately, but if you are looking for a little thrill in your riding, I would suggest looking else where.

still smilin

28 November 2007 by cbrhristopher

had mine just on 2 yrs now added mtc red dual oval,red renths,red bolts,g/shifter,levers,new grips/tech 7 d/bub red irrid screenabout to cut the arse off,ride on diablo's never had any probs with them,had one prob with bike after servic had oil light flash on any feed back for this welcome,best ride to prove bike was long w/end in wicklow two up excellent solo mind blowin,sum up totally super allround motor

DREAM

18 November 2007 by rottybox04

Having riden an xjr1300 for 6 years, It was time for a change. What a move it was.... The Fazers power and road handling. comfort and clear instrument panel is real good. Its ashame to get off it. No regrets. Very light to move about too. 10/10. Just have a go on 1

4 years of ownership

23 August 2007 by Anonymous

Bought new in 2003 for the bargain price of 6K, but they were silly money when they first came out. Done over 22k with no problems very reliable. It's still an excellent road bike, I don't know what I'd replace it with. The quality of componets and the finish is better than my mates BM Boxer cup, nearly VFR standard but more fun with that R1 engine! Will tour all day in comfort, reasonable on fuel unless you really cane it and it isn't bad two up. Only minor points are poor ground clearance on track days but if you do loads of those you would buy an R1 in the first place!

Fazer Thou

22 August 2007 by keithg24

This is probably the best bike I have ever owned. It does not set the pulse racing when I take the dust sheets off as my old Ri did but it just does everything so well. Loaded to the gunnels for camping at Brands Euro touring, scratching, you name it. Only gripe is some poor quality chrome bits and I need to fit a hugger to keep all the crud off the rear shock.Otherwise it is nigh on perfect for what I want. Comfy an all !!!

good all rounder but dull

13 April 2007 by KWAK6ftRider

The bike rides well, it tours well, it goes round corners well, it does everything well, but some how Yamaha for got to put the soul in it. It is very competant at every thing, but you can get bored of it very quickly.

Purchased new 2005 £5800

08 March 2006 by bettsk

Having ridden a bandit 1200 for three years I thought its time for a change, having been in nearly every dealer in the country (slight exageration) not sure what to purchase between sv 1000/ xjr1300/ cb 1300/ zrx 1200 or fazer 1000 however managing to get a test ride on sv 1000 only (why are some dealers not interested in you test riding bikes unless you part with your cash first) I decided on the fazer 1000 I have got to say what a superb motorcycle. handling / brakes/performance/ looks/and finish. I LOVE IT.  Strengths: Brakes, performance, handling, looks. Weaknesses: Sorry can't find one.

Stepped up from the FZS600

14 December 2005 by holmgr

Didn't initially feel that much quicker but learnt to use more revs and now it flies. Lot more front end feel too, even though 600 was on BT020 and 1000 is still on Metzlers - looking forward to even more confidence! Strengths: Engine, brakes, stability, a Q-bike(?), service same as 600. Weaknesses: Wind protection, me & my sportsbike aspirations.

Could this possibly be the best bike I've ever ridden?

20 October 2005 by fazerwitch

After saying goodbye to my rather tired VTR Firestorm and more importantly the gorgeous sounding blue flame cans I'd treated myself to I had a tear in my eye and trepidation as to whether I'd really made the right choice with the Fazer. I've only been riding 3 years so hadn't really ridden that many bikes long term, although had spent many a Saturday afternoon in dealerships appearing interested in order to get a test ride but I had never got round to trying the Fazer, although had read good things about it. I'm not an experienced enough rider to say whether the suspension is good or not, whether the handling is sharp or not soI can only speak as I find. While I will always miss the Firestorm the Fazer is an absolutely stonking bike to ride. It's fast enough to pull your arms out of their sockets when you grab a handful of throttle, it stops on a dime if you're brave enough, it will corner far more competently than I can, it's comfortable, smooth and not bad looking to boot. Strengths: Comfort, Brakes, Engine. Weaknesses: Me.

Bought new in 2003 I have added Yamaha crash bobbins,Art carbon hugger & Art race can.

28 June 2005 by superbiker1

I have found the standard tyres to be crap in the dry (metzeler) ,will replace with bridgestone next. The power is just endless. Strengths: Comfort, practicality. Weaknesses: The fairing offers little wind protection, and the seat is a little high.

Great all round bike, was my stepup from its little brother FZS600

22 June 2005 by notoeouch

At 5'8" it's some times tip toes at stops, it goes as fast as I wanna go and gets there real quick... added loads of extras to it and will get stickier tyes when need changing again. Strengths: Reliability, power all through box and likes to play and I think it looks great as well. Weaknesses: None so far and have owned it 3 years.

Hooligan bike in a comfortable upright package

03 June 2004 by Lawly

Sold my car as it only rains 15 days a year in San Diego. Had a Harley Sportster for 4 years and grew to hate it as an uncomfortable swine. The FZ1 is the bomb! Rode it to Phoenix from San Diego and back a few days later - what a blast. Cruise all day at the ton, or more if you dare. Strengths: Very strong with high build quality. Easy to ride slow or fast - tour or commute. Good tank range. Excellent wind protection with Yamaha touring screen. Weaknesses: The motor urges you to ride faster than you need.

26 March 2003 by baxter444

Massive power for an all-rounder. Comfortable with good wind protection with d/b screen. Suspension needs to be set up for best results. Good net-based owners groups.

30 October 2002 by dave hendy

Excellant 2-up bike could do with a better screen.

10 August 2002 by faze59

The Fazer thou is a fantastic bike I had a Thundercat before this but the Fazer was just right from the day I picked it up, got used to it right away, easy to ride fast, comfy for touring, good fuel consumption, handles well. The only thing I miss is the bungee cord hooks other than that a great bike. I'm glad I bought one wish I had got it sooner.

06 August 2002 by Yankee

Bike is used primarily for commuting and is faultless for the most part. Does get a little hot in California sunshine and toasts my lower leg and left foot in particular. Brakes are truly fab. Sensitive throttle and imho not enough flywheel weight. Makes mid-range a little flat (but could be California jetting). Handling is sublime although forks dive too much under braking (plan to revalve). Engine is very fast. All in all a truly great bike (would be better with a big twin in same chassis though).

23 July 2002 by fish

LIKE THE LOOKS, HANDLES SUPERBLY FOR A BIG UN. ONLY PROBLEM IS YOU DON'T REALISE HOW FAST YOU ARE GOING WHEN YOU WIND IT ON! FRONT END CAN GET A BIT FLIGHTY WHEN ACCELERATING SO I MAY FIT A DAMPER. NOT HAPPY WITH TYRES BUT IT IS TAKING AGES TO WEAR THEM OUT.

10 May 2002 by PROTOCOL

Vibration on Pegs.

04 May 2002 by jantom

A lots of power and torque. Very comfy ('till 160 kmh). Excellent brakes. Suprisingly (in positive) flickable (I had TCat before). A bit too soft at higher speeds (over 180 kmh) through long curves. No tank-slaping :) Altogether: it cost a bit more than GSF/ZXR/CB variation, but it's definitely worth it.

01 November 2001 by jpetke

Very nice, fast bike. Easy to ride, quite aggressive and a bit snatchy. Wheelies, stoppies.....FUN!!

21 October 2001 by johners

Easy to ride, Handles great, Looks good, Fast.

23 August 2001 by bismark

Fanatastic, just done the south of France 2 up. Little light on the front end, maybe to much weight on the back. Anybody advise on a solution. (apart from losing some pounds) Would like a can, will wait and see what comes avaliable.

08 August 2001 by superdave

Dealer down in France is great, does lots for free, repairs done almost instantly, very clean professional place, so I seriously recommend them. Won't buy the Dunlops again, even if they have loads of grip. They are wearing too fast, and are more suited to those who like to get down on their knees a lot. I don't pray but I get close. I prefer the BT 010s that I had on my Thundercat , but then they might be different on this heavier bike. Probably better to go for the BT 020s though (?). I am 6'2" so the screen is obviously crap at more then 85-90mph, and there is no way I am buying that ugly higher version. Brit powerspec engine is great all around (obviously) but the power comes on relatively high. Those who like to thrash take note, ie power is tres fort. Otherwise, the engine has loads of drive in any gear. Brakes are great (obviously), and the suspension is good for the moment (but then I don't know anything about suspension). The chain is stretching fairly quickly, not something I am used to, but then what do you expect with a bike like this, right? Is it normal that after a longish ride my hands buzz? Black looks fantastic, but gets dirty very easily, tail piece bodywork already scratched (sniff). The front fairing seems to be separating from the inner plastic at one point, but a trip to the dealers should sort it out, I hope. What else? Oh yeah, loads of wheelie potential, apparently. And my butt says not to forget that the seat is really uncomfortable after 150 miles. Not enough/too much padding? I really like my bike, though.

25 July 2001 by pgatsky

Brilliant bike to ride easy to wheelie but downside is still looks in my mind.

19 June 2001 by Thorack

This will really piss off you Euro types, I paid $8000 US or about 5700 quid and yearly insurance runs me $780 or 490 quid for comprehensive coverage. The best is this is my first bike. I'm taking it very slow and staying on the back roads. I dont plan on becoming a statistic. Anyway, its a great bike and I highly recommend it! Cheers.

• Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer motorcycle review
  • Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer motorcycle review - Rear view
Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA(Ref No. 710067)