YAMAHA FZS600 FAZER (1998-2004) Review | MCN
Ad closing in seconds....

YAMAHA FZS600 FAZER (1998-2004) Review

Published: 24 November 2006

"In many ways the older Fazer is better than the new model"

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer motorcycle review - Riding

"In many ways the older Fazer is better than the new model"

If Yamaha launched the FZS600 Fazer tomorrow it would still probably sell, it's that good a motorcycle. In fact, since Yamaha stopped the FZS's production in 2003, it has taken them until the launch of the Tracer 700 to replicate the Fazer's magic formula

When you push the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer to the limit, which is easy with those R1 brakes upfront, it dives a little bit and loads up the front end. It waggles a bit, but the handling is generally confidence-inspiring and if you take it steady you could ride to Budapest on a Yamaha FZS600 Fazer and feel no severe aches or pains.

There's just under 100bhp in the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer's detuned, Thundercat 600cc, four cylinder engine and that's plenty for backroads fun, as well as motorway commuting if needs be. The Yamaha FZS600 Fazer delivers its power in a wide spread and the 6 speed gearbox is there if you feel like playing tag with sports bikes.

The Yamaha FZS600 Fazer is a fairly well made motorcycle, and except for the black painted downpipes rotting away, or the brake calipers seizing up, the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer doesn't suffer big problems. It can rack up very high miles with regular servicing. Apart from its thirst for fuel it would make a great despatcher's motorcycle.

There are loads of used Yamaha FZS600 Fazers out there and all make a good choice as a first time `proper' bike, or a general weekend toy for the rider who values an upright riding position more than 150mph performance. Yes, it looks a bit dated, but the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer offers real world biking for as little as £1500. Find a Yamaha FZS600 Fazer for sale

Insurance group: 12 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

There's room for proper waterproofs under the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer's seat, the brakes are outstanding and the half fairing may look a bit Star Wars 1978, but it works well. Pillion grabrail, stainless steel exhaust silencer and centrestand help make the Yamaha FZS600 Fazer a practical motorcycle.

Year introduced 1998
Year discontinued 2004
Original price -
Engine type 16v, in line 4, 6 gears
Frame type Tubular steel double cradle
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake Twin 298mm discs

1998: Yamaha FZS600 Fazer launched.
2000: Yamaha FZS600 Fazer S appears, same bike, jazzy paint.
2001: Yamaha FZS600 Fazer gets new carbon look instrument panel, painted fork sliders.
2003: Yamaha FZS600 Fazer discontinued in UK.
2004: Last of the `03 registered UK model Yamaha FZS600 Fazers sold.

None.

48 owners have reviewed their YAMAHA FZS600 FAZER (1998-2004) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your YAMAHA FZS600 FAZER (1998-2004)

Do it all, go anywhere bike

10 July 2018 by Mark

Stonking all-rounder. I've toured Europe, England, Wales and Scotland on it. Been round the Nurburgring on it. I've been out in all weathers all times of the year and it's never let me down. Light and easy to manoeuvre. Can keep up with the big boys. I love my Fazer.

Brakes are stoppie good with plenty of feel. Bike is all day comfortable on A roads and motorways. My biggest day was 530 miles in one go. Can hustle B roads really well too.
Great grunt - accidentally pick too high a gear and it'll churn away regardless. Get into the rev band and it's a screamer.
My bike's 15 years old now and still looks good. Fasteners and some engine and frame paint looking a bit tired, but generally an eye-catcher. The exhaust rotted so I put a stainless one on for about £600.
Peanuts - oil and filter change and the occasional new tyre or brake pads.
It's got a main stand. A clock and two trips. It's an old bike so forget clever electronics or ABS. I run on Michelin Pilot Roads which are outstanding all weather boots on this bike.

Bought from a dealer who delivered it - very happy.

19 April 2017 by Matt

A great bike for daily use

Never done a long hike - I ride 60 miles a day and it's comfortable.
Seems a great engine. Never get any trouble.
As they say, the brake calipers have needed freeing up once or twice in the 4 years I've owned it but I do use it 365 days a year, so perhaps not unreasonable. Had to change the downpipes too.
Economy-wise they say it's thirsty but I get about 60mpg and give it plenty of welly. Is there a bike that can do better? Also, not sure what bike they reviewed but 130 mile range is wrong - plain wrong. More like 200 miles.

Fazer 600 great all round bike for any rider

20 September 2016 by Brian

This bike will tour, back lane scratcher and commute to work.

Enough comfort to take me to Italy with no aches. Great fun on the back roads.
Great sound when using all the revs (and Fuel aftermarket can fitted).
I have owned bike from new, 37k miles and no faults.
Easy to DIY service.
No need to rider aids, I believe the rider controls the bike.

Bought from George White, sadly now closed down.

Trusty old steed!

08 August 2016 by Henners

I've had loads of quicker stuff, gixers, big sporty triumphs etc and loads of other bikes that are really grin worthy - tzrs a load of 2 and 4 stroke traily's/supermotos... but my trusty old 5dm faze is without a doubt my favourite! It's not the fastest or the best handling bit it's super comfy and never wants for anything, I'm on my second now but only as I stupidly sold the first one to buy a 955i. Takes a good old thrashing every day on my 50+mile round commute and has never let me down in over 30k of use!!

Comfy enough to tour on, I'm 6ft tall and I can easily manage a couple of hundred miles before needing a good stretch. R1 blue spots are more than enough but to make the best use of them I use heavier fork oil to combat the fork dive.
I think it goes pretty well for a carb'd 600, loads more midrange than the later faze and enough top end to waste in experienced 600 sports bike riders ;) not to mention most 4 wheeled vehicles - embarrassed a young bloke in an m3 on some twistys just this afternoon!!
Provided you keep on top of maintenance - regular oil, filter and plug changes they just go on for ever! The oem mild steel downpipes do rot out pretty quick but 150 quid gets you a decent set of delkevic stainless pipes which is money well spent!
Bit heavy on the juice if you thrash the granny out of them but aren't all bikes? You could ride round all day at half throttle but where's the fun in that?!
Not bad for a budget sports tourer/commuter, decent underseat storage, clear if a bit dated clocks & fairy accurate fuel gauge, centre stand makes chain adjustment easy and the wind protection is adequate.

Very fast bike

08 September 2015 by Danny

They all laughed when I bought my FZS 600 as re-entry after a ten years with no bike. What a bike!! Comfortable, reliable and fast.....Mine hits 150 mph when revved hard!! Bit heavy on the juice but great fun & keeps up with sports 600's easily. If you can live with the 80's disco look you'll love this bike.

Comfy upright seating position, bit of a bouncy ride at times, upgrade fork oil to improve front fork dip under heavy braking. Having said that the front brake will stop you in seconds even at high speeds. (140 mph - 0 mph in about 2 seconds!! it's that good).
Just cruise with the low gear ratio, but it's also a high revving rocket when you wind it up. Underrated flying machine.
A hint of rain or just damp air and the down pipes will rot!! Engine paint flakes off also.
Bit heavy on petrol especially when ridden hard. Keep the speed down and it will do 55 mpg.
Not a lot has petrol light that seems to come on even though you still have half a tank of petrol.

Private sale £1100. Money well spent.

The machine that keeps on going!

31 May 2015 by Alistair Doran

I'd say this bike is a workhorse. A yellow and black, screaming, reliable, suprisingly not-so-slow, easy to maintain workhorse. It's the first bike to never let me down at any point, perfect for my height (5ft 10) and even though I don't want to, it can (at times) put a smile on my face. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means the fastest bike in the world, but we never bought it for it's world record setting abilities did we? On normal roads however, this thing can keep up with your 600cc mates no problem (albeit to their shame!) First bike? I'd certainly recommend, it may even keep you tied into the Yamaha brand, potentially placing your interest in a Thundercat/Thunderace and onto an R1 if that's your thing.

The bike is pretty decent when it comes to ride quality. The upright riding position isn't too taxing on the lower back, you'll only notice this after roughly 1.5hrs straight use. My MOT examiner said he thinks the dive on the front forks is a little much and I agreed the same, so I topped up a little more than the recommended 470ml the manual says and it seems to make them a little more firm. Brakes on the other hand can be a problem however. The front ones are fine, they will give you little trouble, but the rear is prone to seizing if it's not used that often, or is left out in bad weather (silly me) - the water runs down into the caliper and left untouched will seize a pot or two. This will require a garage to overhaul if you don't have the necessary tools to pop the pots out and can be a nightmare. On a plus side however, parts aren't that bad for the brakes, with seals costing as little as £3 per seal (Wemoto) or if your caliper makes a homeless man look a million dollars, invest in a rebuild kit (£59.99 - Wemoto) - Alternatively, invest in a Yamaha R1 rear caliper as it's a direct swap and looks the same as the front.
Bomb proof. Need I say more? Look after the oil levels and it will keep you moving. The only gripe I've had so far is the carb-to-head rubbers cracking up. Yamaha know when they have you by the balls, so expect to pay £80 for 4 small pieces of hose. I won't lie, it stings, so keep the bike covered during the winter.
I'm not a grease monkey by any standard, so one of the first things I look for in a bike is how reliable it is; the more reliable the motorcycle, the less I will by paying a mechanic to keep me on the road. I've known from past experience that this bike was bomb proof, and when I got offered one for the paltry sum of £800, I jumped at it. Low and behold, it's a choice that's paid off big style; the bike has never broken down (touch wood) and starts first time every time. It's is a great choice for those who are looking for a work horse or for your first bike. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of corrosion albeit small spots that are purely cosmetic, but for a guy who has his bike ungaraged 365, what would you expect?
The bike is like any other; keep an eye on the oil levels and it'll keep on going. Wear and tear on the shoes and other consumables is dependent on how often you ride, but it's recommended that you go over you bike at least once a year (mines is a few weeks before MOT time) to make sure everything's as it should. Servicing isn't that bad if you can do small things like oil and air filters yourself, and leave the harsher stuff (in my opinion) like shims, valve clearances etc to an experienced person.
Not much to expect really, this bike was built in a time where equipment meant speedo and tachometer. Nowadays you have the entire works as standard. It can record trips and tell you the time, and warns you when the fuel is low. Actually no, I'm lying, it offers pretty good space under the seat - I once managed to fit 2 x fish suppers and a smoked sausage supper under the seat - gotta feed the family after all!

I bought mine privately for £800 from a friends dad - He provided me all the documentation he had and I was able to trace the bike from when it was first bought. He was the 2nd owner, the first only owning it for 2 years. He then sold it to his step son who was in the army, who then proceeded to take it to base and leave it out during a cold harsh winter. He subsequently never paid his stepdad, who then took the bike back in it's sorry state, fixed it up and then fell in love with a ZX6R, so had to get rid of it. That's where I stepped in, and I'm kinda glad I did!

Still Brilliant

30 June 2014 by ranorthe

Onto my 3rd one now. Just look at the figures, this is faster and more powerful than a Hornet, a GSR and will even run wheel to wheel with a Z750. Reliability is spot on and I've found a new use for mine - green laning, yes really. I had a BMW G650X for 2 years, it was great off road but I got fed up of being burnt off by Audi and BMW TDi's - well not anymore! The FZS600 will tackle most easy green lanes with no problems at all, I've found the wide tyres to be great in sand. The only thing to watch for is drop offs, still the exhaust makes a good bash plate :o)

First big bike and I absolutely love it!

21 January 2014 by AcidOllie

Well, this was my first big bike I purchased and I was umming and arrring for ages over which type to go for but I am so happy with what I've ended up with. It has brought me nothing but joy and is a pleasure to ride all day long. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. It is 14 years old but feels brand new. If you ride it sensibly you can get 200 miles for £20.

Great all rounder

27 December 2013 by shuey

I havent had this bike long but I must say Im very impressed. Its a great little commuter with enough power that you dont get bored. Very easy to service and I hear they are capable of doing big mileages with regular servicing. Foot pegs are a bit too close to controls but other than that no complaints. Would I buy another? yes but the 1000cc would I recommend a friend to buy one? yes

Good all rounder

19 November 2013 by Anonymous

I've owned my Fazer for nearly a year now. I split my riding time between two bikes, both very different. The Fazer has great ergonomics, the screen works suprisingly well, its a true no-fuss workhorse of a bike, happy to plod along in traffic doing the commute to work or be let loose in a frenzy of high revs along country roads, an excellent all-rounder of a bike. Standard suspension is ok, it's capable of hustling along very quickly, its not an R1 in the handling stakes but it can hold its own for sure, and the Blue spot R1 calipers can stop it very quickly too. One critism i do have is the front end feeling vague with little feedback, but there is still a decent amount of grip with the Michelin Pilot Road 2's so nothing to worry about. I get 55-60mpg, reliability in 10 months/4000 miles has been exceptional. I can't fault the Fazer or how its put together, considering its age there's little to no corrosion, and the engine is a peach, using no oil at all despite being 15yrs old now. Shame the gearing(lower gears) is not longer as standard gearing makes it quite a revvy bike, but go changing the front sprocket to +1/+2 teeth and you lose all the sprightly feeling this bike has, so my advice is to stick to standard gearing, Yamaha got it perfectly matched to the engines torque curve from the factory. Tbh, put aside the vague front end complaint and the poor headlights and you have one of the best all round bikes out there for less than £1200 you really can't go wrong. Add heated grips and a Givi top box like i have and its got everything you need from a bike. Sadly the only thing it does lack is charactor, but many IL4's do so its horses-for-courses, my Ducati Monster will always be my favourite because it has charactor and is interesting, but its not a commuter's choice, and its not a distance machine either. Fazer does both of those and more. I guess its just one of those bikes you take for granted, because it does everything day in, day out, without fuss or expense, and you only really truly appreciate it when you've sold it and then look back and realise just how good it really was!

Update after 8mths ownership

08 September 2013 by Anonymous

So i've used my FZS600 Fazer for about 4000 miles now and have a few things to say about the bike. I've experimented on various front sprocket sizes, the standard 15tooth, in normal riding you will be holding the clutch in to knock down 2 gears at a time when slowing down(instead of 1 gear and blipping the throttle) as the gearing is just too short and its pointless changing down 1 gear when there's just 400rpm difference. But, this is where its a compromise, because the engines power curve suits this gearing better than any other when you want to make progress. The bike blitzes through the gears when your on the boil down those country roads. So then the 16 tooth front sprocket gives a slightly more relaxed engine feel, but dulls the experience a bit as the bike isn't as frantic, which is nice but then it doesn't pick up as quick in any gear when you open the throttle to gain some speed quick so to make progress you need to drop a gear where the 15 tooth could pull it. And the 17 tooth, yes this does fit! I had 2 turns of the chain adjustment nuts on the swingarm to get the chain freeplay right. NOTE, fitting a larger front sprocket affects the chain freeplay, so don't just set it to 30-45mm and ride, sit on the bike and push down to check that it isn't getting too tight, because it will if you set it using the book measurements!!! When riding, the 6th gear on the standard setup is now equivalent to the 5th gear, so 6th feels like an overdrive. The bike feels much more 'normal' with the longer gears but sadly the engine can't pull the skin off a rice pudding so you lose alot of the bikes original frantic charactor and 'busyness. MPG went up about 3mpg so for motorways and longer journeys this is a good setup but the charactor the bike had will be severely dulled.

Fazer 600 03 reg

26 February 2013 by zikrijaxxx

Hi guys This is my second review since 2010. Just bought my second Fazer 600 2003 model.... “what a bike"!!! It has had 2 previous owners, 20k on a clock, have done around 3k on it mainly motorways and really cant fault it. If you are after comfy, reliable but also fast bike then you dont need to look any further. Also would like to mention that i managed to hit 144 mph few times which is much higher then the original speed on the paper. It might be because i ALWAYS use VPover Shell petrol and Sport Castrol oil however i found this rather impressive:) Absolutely love it! Ta

Good but not amazing

08 February 2013 by Anonymous

I own a '98 fzs600 fazer, totally standard with 30k miles. I've had it a few weeks now so have got used to its pro's and cons. As a commuter its fantastically suited to this role, except for a clunky 1st-2nd gear change(common fazer complaint on forums) the rest of the changes are super smooth up and down the 'box, and always easy to find neutral. It starts and idles smoothly on choke, and once warmed up for 30 seconds is happy to run without choke and revs cleanly off idle in near zero degrees celsius. Brakes are excellent at the front, rear is ok. Headlight is rubbish. Common mod is to run a wire from the spare dipped beam feed(blue connector under the tank) directly to the righthand H4 filament bulb. So both headlights are on in dipped instead of just the left one with its H1 bulb. I run R&G heated grips and the charging system is fine with the slightly extra load. Fuel gauge is good, stays at full for ages then drops quite quickly down to empty, Needle goes just under empty before the reserve light comes on, then you have about 30miles till you run out of fuel. Average(very approx.) 55mpg or 180+ miles between fill-ups. Engine has a decent powerband at 8k which is great but sadly makes lower rpm torque seem lacking/not enough in comparison when in fact it is for most situations. Be careful not to get caught out overtaking tho as you will need to drop 2 or 3 gears quickly to get rapid acceleration burst(gears are spaced about 500rpm different so its quite close ratio gearbox). Its an engine that suits everyone, i tend to stay at lowish rpm, but others will get a thrill staying in the high rpm power. Suspension is very good as standard, fuss free, doesn't dive much under heavy braking, certainly doesn't bottom out like my 2011 Sv650 did! Overall its a bike that you grow to like more and more, and appreciate that it can do everything you want a bike to do without fuss, and the 80's looks it has are in fact half the reason i chose it! Paint is nice and thick on the tank and black powder coated frame is tough and long-lasting.

Clutch plates?

21 June 2012 by grendle

Does anyone know if the clutch plates for an American FZS600 after 2004 will fit the British FZS600. Yamaha didn't sell them in the US until 2004 (I presume,) but I've got a 2000 model from England (I think.) I live in the Caribbean and can only get parts from the US sent here. Love the Fazer - it wakes me up in the morning and I can't wait for work to end so I can ride it again.

Poor Dead Fazer

10 June 2012 by Skinbeatersam

This was my first big bike, and was well loved. I bought a 2000 for £1150 and it seemed fine. It performed well and was very very accommodating to me as a new rider. The power was there in the high revs, but pretty sparse lower down. This makes it a good winter hack cos you are less likely to spin the rear wheel in adverse weather, unless you are totally ham-fisted and deaf. Annoyingly, mine developed a stutter/shudder that had the mechanics scratching their heads. I discovered on a Forum that this is something that some Fazer's develop and no one really knows why. However, before it did that, it was a fantastic bike, perfect for the new rider, confidence inspiring and fun when you thrash it!! I often had remarks that it was a great bike from fellow road users. I would recommend it as a bike although it needs stainless steel downpipes, a louder end can, headlight mods's (riding at night was never fun) and braided hoses. If you can find one like that, with no engine troubles, then snap that bad boy up!!

Best all rounder ever

29 May 2012 by Harvey11

Long hauls, communitng, track days, did the lot as on this as my first 600 and it nails all of them! Stainless steel downpipes and new end can are a must though.

Killed bill

15 May 2012 by Cy8rm4n101

How can a bike ridden by the crazy 88 in Kill Bill be bad? It's not a pretty bike granted but that's not neccessarily a bad thing in these days of bike theft, you won't turn any heads on one of these. It's comfy, it'll go forever & it can shift some as well. A forgotten gem not touched by its replacement.

great all rounder

04 December 2011 by pinkerton2964

I had 3 a 98/01/03 I loved each one. The exhausts are quite poor and if you are keeping it for a while put a stainless system on it. The engine is great grunty for a 600 & tunable and compared with the Hornet like a 750 but the hornet handles better. The earlier models have weak headlights and the rear brakes on all models need goodridge hose or similiar as they have a lot of travel and not as strong/progresive as it should be. Handling is great with good tyres and uprated springs shock but as stock is a touch remote soft. I put yam xjr1300 bars on and made a huge diff. Keep the battery in good nick with an optimate as they are expensive as are plugs. The bike takes to touring quite well I did lands end to john o groats on mine and got a lot more than 130miles out of the tank altough the later one has a bigger tank. My advice BUY ONE. The Hornet is a better handling bike but has no tank range and no torque.

2003 Fazer Foxeye

21 November 2011 by FazerJake

I purchased my fazer after my 750 being written off thanks to someone pulling out on me :(. The one thing that annoyed me when riding the fazer was the small handle bars, it took ages for me to get used to them. I return on average 52mpg and around 45mpg at the very worst on sprinted rides. The handling is sublime, its easy to throw into corners and the r1 brakes upfront stop the fazer in no time. The gearbox i find is very clunky (this is a feature of the fazers i believe) and somewhat annoying. Low down torque isnt very good (then again i came from a 750) however wind it up and its like a pullman. Basic suspension means its not very good for pillioning. The bike is very comfortable on long journeys. The fazer is also very easy to maintain, the tanks held in place by two nuts and its very easy to access. One thing to watch out for is rotting exhaust header bolts and the rear caliper seizing.

As much fun as you can have for £1500

21 October 2011 by feltrevoltpro

I have a 1999 FZS600. I bought it with 25,000 miles, on the advice a friend who is long term fazer fan. I was reluctant mainly due to the fact it's so ugly... however 3 months and 5,000 miles later i can now understand the appeal due the fact the engine is an absolute gem. The handling leaves a little to be desired although i think with a little work on the front forks this could be improved. Other niggles include the head lights which are pathetic and the switch gear which is nackered. MPG isn't the best but tank range is good (up to 140 miles). Being an older bike, a trip counter is about the extent of the gizmos on board although truthfully this is quite nice. All things said for £1500 this bike is an absolute bargain and seems to have stood the test of time better than many of it's rivals (bandits, gsf's). Cheers, ride safe)

Its Brilliant

23 August 2011 by Anonymous

This my 1st review, since i purchased the fazer in 03. I have the 2000 model with the square head lights that has the the thundercat engine. Puchased this when it had 1500 miles on it and it has clocked 92,000 miles. Its my 1st proper bike. i cummute 80 miles a day and the bike is used througout the year including the winters. So lets start. Looks: They say the 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Some people say the new BMW's look beautiful, some say they are plain ugly. The fazer looks weird from certain angles & chunky from certian. So its a matter of perpective. Engine: We all know that the detuned thundercat engine, is on of the best out there, so will not go into much detail. On the M25, i traffic, 1 can do 30 miles in 6th gear & there is no bucking from the engine as its smooth. Once you open the throttle, the power comes on smooth nothing like the sports bike, where u can have ur head taken off. The engine revs nicely taking the bike onto 135 miles without any problem. Between 5500 to 6500 rpm, there seems to be a bit of vibration from the engine but if your out of that zone, the engine is smooth. Full Consumption: i get about 50 mpg but this is steady at 50 to 60 mph. Comfort: Its got that upright right position which is so important when u do long distance and u don't end up with a bad back or hurting knees on the other side of the trip. Its ideal!! Equipment: Its a very nicely laid out dash, with the RPM meter as the main dial, speedo, you have a clock, trip meter and its easy to read. Nothing fancy just nice & basic. Tyres: i have the bridgestone touring, & get 20,000 miles out of it on the rear. i know some of you won't believe this, but thats to my driving, style. no hard take offs, no hard braking [only when required], steady driving at 50 to 60 mph. Realibility: My bike still has everything orginal on the engine, including the clutch plates. Its recommened that servicing is done every 6000 miles, but i get it done once a year ie 20,000 miles. The engine does not seem to mind this. It has never failed me till date. I have changed the rear brake caliper as its seized, but this was at 80,000 miles, i have changed the sproket and chain 3 times, that was partly due to my carelessness. Other changes are front and rear brake pads, spark plugs and oil filters, which are general maintance. it has some rusted bolts and a bit here and there, but thats acceptable consider the age and usage i have done. The thing you should care for is the downpipe as the quality is very poor. the bolts holding them to the manifold rust and one of them has broken so had to order new one at 45 GBP including the gaskets. Verdict: If you want a bike thats very very reliable, cheap [as there are so many] to run, maintain, have fun, commute, have a track day, keep up with the sports bike and have a good back and knees this is the bike you want. But make sure its got the thundercat engine. When i decide to buy another one, it will be the YAMAHA FZS600S, its the best every all rounder. its a shame that Yamaha had to kill it.

Its Brilliant

23 August 2011 by Anonymous

Top Bike

17 August 2011 by Daddyk

This is my second review (first in Aug 2009 whilst new to riding and the bike). After over 2 years all year round riding the bike has been top class. Never let me down and always a joy to ride. The second powerband brought massive grin to face and never ever struggled to keep up with any other bike. Would totally recommend this to and newby or anyone who only ride as a single. Now managed to get Missis onboard and needed a bit more comfort for 2. After looking around and test riding came up with new bike - Fazer 1000.

Bargain fun

12 July 2011 by NotAnotherHill

I've had an 01 Fazer for a month or so and done just over 1000 miles. Returned to biking after a 14 year absence (BMW R45 previously - sloooow!). I'm extremely impressed with the Fazer. It's got a fantastic engine which doesn't have to have the nuts revved off it to make quick progress. Very comfortable over distance. The fairing keeps the wind off the helmet but I can feel a slight buffeting on the shoulders (5' 9''). This is only really noticeable at 90+ mph. I haven't yet found the bike's handling limits - still working on it, but it corners well. Fuel consumption regularly 48+ MPG. I get 200 + miles on a tank. Loads of room under the seat. Not used any oil so far. Back brake is rubbish but it's on the original hoses so may want changing. I spent weeks weighing up options and I have to say this is one great bike. I would certainly recommend it. I picked mine up for £1250 with 17000 miles on clock and in very good condition. For that you can't go wrong.

FZS 600 FAZER

09 November 2010 by Grendel1

I have a 2003 FZS 600 Fazer 'Fox Eye' - read the owners reviews! day to day riders are the ones who know, comments bulging with enthusiasm and positive feedback. 1998 originals still run today (2010), a testament to Yamaha build quality and Fazer durability. Forget the Honda's, Kawasaki's or Suzuki's, believe me! the FZS 600 Fazer is a speedy, easy handler, with the most comfortable riding position, extremely competitive low cost insurance cover makes for a tantalizing first-time bike option and a realistic long term all rounder. Spares and accessories are widely available, even on the oldest models, the Fazer legacy continues on, the new 2010 Fazer 800 seems retrospective, in style, with a modern twist, though perhaps a little pricey. Kindest Regards Grendel 1

Fazers On Kill

01 October 2010 by WHIZZA

Hi, got my y2k fazer from a friend as as an instructor it made more sense than a vfr 750. 18 months later the vfr has gone and I use the better fazer for all my riding. Engine wise it is superb for a mere 600. with brakes from an R1 it stops very quickly. Even with me at 6 foot and around 20 stones the bike pulls and handles superbly. The Mrs prefers this to the other bike in the garage (ZZR 1100) and so do I to be honest. only down sides I've had so far is the rear shock going and the poor headlight which i conveted to both on when on low beam. Perfect as an instuctor bike or commuter. Oh and I have had over 200 miles to a tank of petrol on numerous occasions. so no idea how the mcn testers ride but.....

stop gap fazer

14 August 2010 by robbie7334

Hi I bought the fazer to get me around while waiting for parts for my aprilia.I purchased it from an elderly chap a few miles up the road from me 3075 miles on the clock 2 owners from new on a 1998 plate.They are about if your lucky it rides like new and the engine is sooo sweet handlings very good but the front end definately needs stiffining up just a couple of cosmetic blemishes but I am over the moon with it.So I really dont give a toss if I gotta wait another 6 weeks for my aprilia parts Im having a great time regards Robbie

FANTASTIC

24 July 2010 by tomkelly

This is my second review here for my Yamaha 600 Fazer. I've had the bike a year now. FANTASTIC! Got back from Ireland recently where I did a 1,000 miles on it without a squeek! It's so nice to ride and not at all intimidating. And when you need that power for overtaking - boy does it go! Surprises me every time and puts a big grin on my face! OK so handling's a bit bouncy and you do get back ache if you ride it for long periods (around Ireland!). A few problems I've had are chain adjuster needed looking at as had seized up a bit, front forks started to leak oil and it does feel a bit gravelly low down in the gears. But it's a great fun and I would recommend one to anyone moving up to a bigger bike. Got to be one of the best 600s about. Very cheap to insure too.

Eldars review

11 July 2010 by Eldar

the review bellow dated 11th july is mine , dont know why it uploaded as annonymous ?

still love it

11 July 2010 by Anonymous

well ive had it over a year now and 11,000 trouble free miles of riding to work every day and weekend rideouts .I just did the 24,000 mile service myself and the valve clearances are still within tollerance ,excellent!. fuel consumption's still brilliant ( I almost got to the silverstone GP and back to manchester on one tank !but refuelled in Leek when the light came on, it was late and getting dark and I didnt want to run out on the moors,but i reckon i could've pushed my luck and got further.I have had one problem ,the block connector on the starter solenoid corroded and caused a flat battery but a quick scrub with some abrasive paper and wd40 soon cured it followed with a night on the old optimate !its done 25000 miles now and i reckon the shocks past its best but it still handles round the twisties even though a bit bouncey . if the motor starts to feel lumpy it needs nothing more than the carbs balancing and on a fazer this jobs a piece of p**s .as for tyres i'm running on storm ultra 2's they are excellent rain or shine up to now they've done 5,000 miles and still loads of tread left and are wearing evenly.oh and glad to see MCN have finally updated the MPG figure , now you just need to update the tank range ! overall my '02 fazer is still one of, if not THE best all round bike i've owned in 40 years of riding . if your thinking of buying one, DO IT you won't be dissapointed .

Overall great bike

10 July 2010 by Anonymous

Hi there I have just bought my FZS 600 1998 reg. 36k on clock, 7 previous owners and tell you what... its in great condition! This is my second BIG bike so i could compare it only with CBF 500 which i had for 9 months so there we go. Advantages: 1-It has more torque and higher top speed. 2-Much more comfortable and stable on low - high speed. 3-Much better looking (mine has newer face of Yamaha FZS 600 2003 Reg). 4-Quite similar MPG comparing to CBF500. (£20 15.5L managed to do 250 miles in the city). 5-Slightely bigger boot (its handy when you have 2 chains + ). Disadvantages: 1-Hasnt got ABS breaks like CBF500 which i found extremely helpful when its wet (i know many people would prefer the normal brakes but...) 2-No temperature indicator only warning light. As i said overall this is a great bike with plenty of fun. Buy it and you will have a smile on your face Cheers!

Stunningly Good

08 July 2010 by ranorthe

I've been riding 20 years and have had over 200 bikes. The FZS600 is one of the best. The engine is a gem, lots of mid range and real kick in the pants when the revs get above 9K. The front brakes are awesomely good, the back is a bit poor but then who uses the back brake anyway? The handling is very good, helped by the low all up weight, if it has a limitation it's the standard rear shock which can lose a bit of damping when it gets hot. A Hagon would sort it but it's not a sufficient problem that I've done anything about it. You need to keep an eye on the oil level, it only holds 3 litres so a little loss can make a big difference to the oil level in the sump. The fuel economy is excellent - I don't know where MCN got its figures from but they are plain wrong. I just got back from France, 900 miles fully loaded up, 80 to 90MPH most of the way and the bike returned nearly 60MPG. The closest comparison I can make is to an old GSXR750 streetfighter, except that the FZS600 handles and stops too... I've given it 4/5 for equipment because I wish they'd fitted a temperature gauge rather than a warning light. Price wise these are similar to Bandit 600s, a bike which by comparison is fat, slow, wobbly and dull. Buy a Fazer and you'll be grinning from ear to ear :o)

All Singing

29 August 2009 by HiMac

Bought my first Fazer recently. Have 1999 FZS600. Am 5'10" 12st. I'm no boy racer so bike has more than enough guts to keep me happy. Overall body ergonomics more that acceptable. Good acceleration and handling. Far more enjoyable to ride than CBF or Bandit. Despite some comments, find fuel consumption very good. I'm up just over 60mpg. Doing 210 miles before refill. That's certainly better than a newer CBF600 I had. Truth is, if you absolutely cane any bike the consumption will increase dramatically. Find the rear preload needs upping from standard 4 to 5 or 6 for more confidence in bends. At normal(ish) riding speeds seems quite stable. The only downside for me is the screen which is the worst for me on any bike I've ridden. Directs air flow straight into lower/mid helmet. It actually seems worse than riding a naked. I personally don't find the seat very comfortable, again the worst I've sat on. Having said that, I have given a new fazer a good long ride out and didnt find the same problems. I may be lucky and bought a well looked after model, but most aspects of the bike seem to have stood up well to the elements. Only very minor signs of corrosion in a few places so considering the age I'm fairly impressed. All in all, the bike is a great ride. I commute all year round + Sunday ride outs, about 8-10k a year and this is really the sort of bike to please you most of the time in most of your riding situations. I must however, change that screen before winter.

New rider

22 August 2009 by Daddyk

New to riding last year and spent 6 months on 125 getting basics. Did big boy test and immediatly started looking or first big bikes. After seeing a few Bandits and Hornets a mate was selling his well looked after Fazer 2001 model. Absolutely love it. Paid decent money but at least know how well it was looked after. Had it now for 5 months and still smiling after every ride. Plenty of power there for a newby and still haven't been near to red line although close when a 911 wanted a bit of fun but he soon backed of defeated!!! As said plenty of power and very easy to control at both high and low speed. As others have mentioned 1st and 2nd gear sound like a tank shooting and some slight vibration @ 6000 revs. Fuel cons for me around 45-50. Definatley recommend and for foreseeable no need to change at all.

Brilliant bike

09 August 2009 by tomkelly

I bought a Fazer about 3 weeks ago after having a little 200CC Chinese import bike. Phew - what a difference. It has the most amazing acceralation - it's awsome! Handling's excellent too. And it's looks like a "proper" bike. Those double headlights (later models) look very muscular. Give's it real road presence I think. The clocks look like race bike clocks - still haven't red-lined it yet, not sure I ever will! Only downside is it's very heavy and difficult to push around. Apart from that, it's exceeded my expectations! I love riding it.

MPG Update

09 August 2009 by Eldar

just an update on fuel consumption , you guys realy should change those figures, c'mon MCN 35mpg and 130 to a tank , this week I got 276 miles out of 22 liters ,I got 43 of those miles after the fuel light came on !

Better than you'd ever imagine it could be!

27 June 2009 by Eldar

Geat fuel consumption ,up to 59 mpg !comfotable, quicker than you'd think ,suprisingly good handling ,excellent headlights (it's an 02 model)if your after 600 thats comfortable and quick ,sod the cbr's ect get one of these you won't be dissapointed.

Excellent

16 March 2009 by andypitt56

I've had this bike for a year its my first big bike, and yes i have stacked it. but other than having to turn it into a streetfighter becuase i didn't have the money to replace the bits there was no structural damage done and it still handles like a dream. unfortunatly its restricted but, i can get 260 odd miles out of a tank and when on a run closer to 300 miles its great.

Good solid motorbike

03 December 2008 by KimLondon

This was the first bike I owned after passing my test, a gold Fazer 600S - the one with the belly pan. What a fine bike it was. I'd still have it now if some woman hadn't reversed her husband's BMW into it and wrote it off while I was asleep in bed. I have to say that the Fazer was a great bike to get used to riding on, but a bit of a leap from the CBF500 I'd passed my test with. Okay, good points about the FZS600: lovely engine, good build quality (carbs means easy to service), good equipment levels - fuel gauge and centre stand are luxuries you miss when they are gone. The riding position is very comfortable and confidence inspiring, you can see around you very easily and long journeys are a breeze. Minuses? Not many really. The only thing I'll say is that it's a bit top-heavy. At the time I didn't really realise, but the SV650 and new Fazer feel a bit more stable at low speeds and the new FZ6 is definitely easier to get on the centre stand. However, this is really nit picking. One serious problem, though, is the lights - they are really pants. However, some journalists have said the new FZ6 is not as good as the old Fazer 600. I don't agree at all. I find the new model more stable, better looking, more comfortable and I think an improvement in every way. However, this is a personal thing.

Sofa on wheels!

05 October 2008 by RatsBomber

I've had my 1998 Fazer for around 18months now and I have to say its fantastic. Firstly the engine is a belter, never needy or left gasping by anything, even though now I'm used to the power its still not 'slow' plenty of midrange where you need it. I doubt many made it on to track but the suspension does have its limitations, although to be perfectly honest in 9/10 situations its handles with relish. Sofa on wheels my mates call it, and its just that, so comfortable to sit on, wind protection isnt amazing although its better now I have a double bubble on it. All in all a perfect all rounder do anything bike. Buy one.

Don't believe the review's fuel economy figures

10 June 2008 by olembe

I have an '02 Fazer as my first 'big' bike after passing my test. I love it, and regularly commute an 80-mile round trip on it with ease. I just wanted to say that if you're thinking of getting a Fazer, ignore the fuel stats given in this review: either they're complete fantasy or the reviewers went everywhere in first gear. In my normal commute (mostly 60 MPH A roads, with a bit of town driving) I get about 210 miles before the reserve light comes on (so I'd guess about 260 miles to the tank?). And that's certainly not taking it easy: third or fourth gear most of the time. I recently did a long trip, which was mostly 6th gear on the motorway, and did 230 miles without even dipping into the reserve. This is a superb bike.

98 Fazer, Always Willing, Definately Able.

02 May 2008 by Davrob

My '98 Fazer is just about to hit 40,000 miles, and still she never complains. I've ridden it all through the winter with no problems what so ever. She starts first time every day and is always keen whatever the weather. Great allrounder, great fun!

Ultimate Commuter

05 January 2008 by Loosetool

My 2001 Fazer is the ultimate commuter. She never complains and never bites - only demanding a regular oil change. 95bhp (85bhp at the wheel) is a lot for a 600. Its a lot of bike for the price. Possibly a future classic (Did you see them on Kill Bill?)

2000 FZS600

05 September 2007 by markandjen

This is my first bike since passing my test a month ago. Looked at a few different bikes but kept returning to this! I've been lucky as the people who have owned it have looked after it. It's got 16500 miles on the clock but is excellent condition. It was a bit more powerful than I expected when I pulled away from the shop!! Ridden to work on it aswell as having a three and a half hour ride non stop to get some miles under my belt. Didn't ache or feel tired. The fuel consumption has been really good and is easy to control at low and higher speeds. Ridden on motorways, A roads and town roads and haven't been disappointed at all. Would highly recommend the bike to anyone considering a versatile, comfortable and easy to ride bike.

2003 FZS600 Foxeye

12 May 2007 by semblers

I needed to get my commuting time down - 20 miles motorway, 10 miles rush hour filtering on London's North Circular and 5 miles 'town' riding. Brilliant all rounder. Has the power when I need it, comfort for long commute and control for filtering. Haven't managed to master the very low speed cornering yet - the throttle seems a bit snatchy. I reckon I get better mpg than the 'average' figures given.

2003 FZS600 Foxeye model

26 September 2006 by fazlyn

Believe it or not previous to owning this bike I had owned two (different times) FZS1000's.. they are brilliant bikes. This is my sons Fazer. We toured EU together with other two sons and one of their partners. On Fazers, Andy on my present bike, Matt on an 02 Fazer (virtually identical cept for Yamaha logo on the tank). Martin was on a newer FZ6S, me on the FZS1000 and Anna (Matts partner) GSX600. I think the GSX was worst for comfort overall and also frustration in usable to useable power also hairpins at slow speed (due to dangers). Next the FZS1000 best for comfort again frustrating in power usage, both too powerful however on a good safe bend!!!WOWWW But the two bikes that got there pegs down and whos riders had the biggest permanent grin were the two FZS600's. Yeah.. no match to the others the power is sooooo usable on the 600 fazer. I can really vouch for that as unfortunately had to part with the thou and due to even sadder reasons now have the 600. Strengths: Usable power, handling, overall quality. Weaknesses: Only the seat but with after market seat....100% strength.

My first bike after 4 years on a CG125, why did I wait so long?

20 July 2006 by timboella

Bought this bike despite all the bad press I read about the lack of mid range power, and I don't regret it for a minute. When I am commuting I can be lazy with the revs and its easy to ride. When I'm having a blast at the weekend, I pick up the revs and it feels like a rocket ship. (trained on a CBF500 which I thought was slow after 2 days). Looks wise its a Batmobile from the front (my neighbours 12 yr old says)and sporty from the rear - love the twin exhaust under the seat. I was thinking of buying a Suzuki Bandit 650 or a kawasaki er6-n, don't even want to ride them now. Getting 200 miles from the tank so I am pleased with the range as well. The ride is excellent and the position is comfy. At 80 mph you feel completely stable thanks to the half faring. At night the lights on dipped or main are brilliant they light up the whole road and the dials look very cool and are easy to read. Strengths: Soon as I get used to the performance I can start to take it into the 9000 - 13500 rpm range where apparently it starts to get really serious - Can't wait. I feel as though I have a bike a can really grow into. Weaknesses: First gear to second feels a bit notchy if you don't get the revs right - maybe my clutch control is still not right, but I have heard others say the same.

95 bhp 600cc Sports-tourer with good pillion accommodation.

31 March 2006 by Loosetool

I commute a 30 mile round trip that goes from motorway to close quarter filtering through traffic. The Fazer is narrow and slips through the gaps like a scooter. The power and fairing come in handy for the long roads and I have done some weekend touring in Ireland with a pillion. She goes like stink too (the bike that is!) and can sit comfortably at 220km/h. Strengths: You get the best of both worlds - a fast paced sportsbike on the motorways with a comfortable riding position, yet nimble enough for the realities of city riding. You can buy a secondhand bike for very little and they are super reliable. Weaknesses: Looks of the 2001 Fazer are dated. She also needs to get about 7000 rpm before the power kicks in. But apparently the new Fazer is even more revvy. The downpipes and general finish on the engine are poor - showing definite signs of cost cutting.

• Yamaha FZS600 Fazer motorcycle review - Instruments