How to grip Honda CLR125’s rounded-off bolt

1 of 1

Q. I have to replace the fork seals on my Honda CLR125, but someone’s been in there before me and the Allen socket on the end of the damper rod has rounded out so my Allen key just spins around.
Charles Marsh, email

A. Torx bits have plenty of sharp edges that can grip the inside of an Allen socket. Get one that is slightly bigger than the rounded out socket and hammer it in gently, keeping it square on, so that it grips the rod. You should then be able to unscrew it.

If that doesn’t work you will have to drill out the bolt head, starting with a small drill, then working up gradually until the head comes off. You can then use molegrips on the 15mm of shaft that is left before replacing it with a new bolt.

Get yours at