Need distracting from a hangover? Got some DIY you should be getting on with? Then settle down and attempt MCN’s fiendishly addictive Christmas quiz.
Win £450 of riding kit!
Get the highest score in the quiz and you'll win a heap of top quality riding kit...
Sartso Jeans (£129.99 - £139.99), Moto One jacket (£129.99), Gerbring Hybrid heated gloves (£149.99) and Moto One Baselayer (£34.99).
How to enter
Just jot down your answers for part one on this answer sheet (also available in the 21 December issue). Part two of the quiz and the corresponding answer sheet is in today's paper (28 December). Once you've filled out both answer sheets, send them with your name and contact number to: MCN Christmas Quiz, MCN, Bauer Media, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA. Closing date for entries is January 9, 2012.
2011 Christmas Quiz: Part One
1. The Honda NC700 engine is based on which car engine?
a) Rover K-series
b) Honda NSX
c) Honda Jazz
2. How many cylinders does the BMW F650GS engine have?
3 Which bike is this, unsuccessfully attempting a backflip earlier this year?
a) Harley-Davidson Road King
b) Yamaha VMAX
c) Ducati Diavel
4. Which motorcycle factory celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2011?
5. How many models of Brutale will MV Agusta offer in 2012?
6. In 2011 Ducati agreed marketing links with which car brand?
c) Alfa Romeo
7. What bike is the recipient of this getting for Christmas?
a) BMW R1200GS
b) Kawasaki Versys 1000
c) Ducati Multistrada
8. The KTM Duke 125 is made in which country?
9. What’s new on the 2012 Yamaha R1?
a) Traction control and suspension
b) Suspension and engine
c) Traction control and styling
10. How many 1000cc Kawasaki adventure bike models have there been?
11. Suzuki’s 2011 GSX-R600 and 750 use front brakes from which manufacturer?
12. What quickly detaches on the Harley Dyna Switchback?
a) The wheels
b) The chrome
c) The screen
13. Name the bike
a) Motus MST-01
b) Moto Guzzi V7
c) Moto Morini 9.5
14. What name did Triumph originally call its Tiger Explorer 1200 before it was released?
15. What tourer uses the engine seen in this prototype?
a) BMW K1600
b) Kawasaki GTR1400
c) BMW K1300GT
16. This is Bimota’s new off-road bike. How many have they made before?
17. What caused this?
a) A rutting deer
c) A Yamaha V-Max trying to keep up with a Ducati Diavel
18. What is odd about this Nembo prototype?
a) It uses a rotary engine
b) Its engine is upsidedown
c) It uses only aeroplane components
19. What is this gentleman building?
a) A Norton Commando 961
b) A Triumph Tiger Explorer
c) A Metisse Desert Racer
20. On which bike was the still-unbroken, 100mph-for-24 hours record set 50 years ago this year?
a) Velocette Venom
b) Norton Dominator
c) BMW R60/2
21. In which year were sports mopeds restricted to 30mph in the UK?
22. From 1971, Triumph Bonnevilles stored their oil where?
a) The frame
b) A tank behind the engine
c) A tray beneath the bike
23. Which was the MCN Bike Of The Year in 1979?
a) Suzuki GS1000
b) Honda CB900F
c) Triumph T140 Bonneville
24. Matchless motorcycles were often rebadged versions of which other brand?
c) Royal Enfield
25. Which car design company styled the BSA Rocket 3, famous for its raygun silencers and general ugliness?
26. The 1969 Benelli Tornado used an engine from which manufacturer?
27. Why did FireBlade change to Fireblade in 2006?
a) A new marketing agency decided the capital B was too 1990s
b) Tadao Baba left the design team and it was done as a mark of respect
c) It was a brochure misprint which stuck
28. Triumph's famous Bonneville model is named after…
a) A charming French town
b) Its designer
c) Salt flats in Utah
29. The legendary Triumph Trident race bike was dubbed Slippery…
c) When wet
30. Who was MZ's two-stroke genius?
a) Walter Kaaden
b) Walter Mitty
c) Walter Raleigh
31. What bike is this from?
a) Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
b) Kawasaki ER-6n
c) Ducati Panigale
32. Which is the first production road bike to feature a sealed crankcase with the air pumped out?
a) Ducati 1199
b) Honda VFR1200R
c) BMW K1600GT
33. What is valve overlap?
a) When you overdo grinding-in the valve seats
b) When the valves float and one hits the other
c) The period when exhaust and inlet valves are open together
34. On which bike would you feel a torque reaction when you blip the throttle?
a) Harley-Davidson Road King
b) Moto Guzzi Stelvio
c) BMW K1300S
35. The power you need to go faster increases in proportion to:
a) Your speed
b) The square of your speed
c) The cube of your speed
36. Honda’s VTEC changes what?
a) The number of valves operating as revs increase
b) The valve timing as revs increase
c) The way you walk
37. Which current road racer rides with this metalwork in his spine?
a) Conor Cummins
b) Cameron Donald
c) John McGuinness
38. Who got onto primetime BBC driving a barge?
a) Jorge Lorenzo
b) Guy Martin
c) Giacomo Agostini
39. This is Maxime Berger struggling with rear grip. What’s the track?
a) Donington Park
c) Darley Moor
40. A flying Dunlop. But which one?
Part two of the 2011 Christmas Quiz is in this week's issue of MCN (28 December).