Knife-brandishing moped thug jailed

1 of 1

Bradley White, 29 of no fixed address was jailed for nine years (with a further three on licence) after pleading guilty to one count of attempted robbery, three counts of robbery, theft of a moped and theft of a number plate at Blackfriars Crown Court.

White, who was out on licence for a smash and grab robbery at the time of the offences, used a knife to target individuals wearing high value watches (two of his victims were in their seventies) before making off on a stolen scooter with a stolen number plate.

During a robbery in Brook Street, White held a large knife to the throat and then stomach of a man in a doorway, demanding that he hand over his watch before fleeing as another member of the public approached.

White was apprehended following an intelligence-led investigation carried out by the Met’s Flying Squad. “He brandished a terrifying weapon, leaving victims fearing for their lives,” said Detective Constable Shona Wilkinson after sentencing.

“His actions were audacious and reckless, and I am pleased he is now no longer able to blight communities and innocent members of the public with his actions.

“White attempted to conceal his identity and his mode of transport throughout his offending, but thanks to the dedication and skill of Flying Squad officers, we were able to track him down and bring him to justice for these awful offences.

“Hiding your face and using fake number plates will not protect you from police. We will continue to pursue those intent on committing such crimes and bring them to justice.”

A second man, Claudio Narciso was also found guilty of handling stolen goods in connection with the crimes and was sentenced to a 12-month community order, to complete 100 hours of unpaid work, and was fined £1000.

Police conduct investigations take too long

Bike crime

The London Assembly has condemned the IOPC following its investigation into PC Edwin Sutton who knocked a suspected moped mugger to the ground. Sutton was called before a gross misconduct hearing after the incident on May 21, 2017.

“IOPC investigations seem to be all too regularly taking far too long, with PC Sutton having to wait two years to clear his name,” said Susan Hall AM. “The excessive length of these investigations is damaging both to the police service and to the officer under investigation, who can come under a great deal of emotional strain and have their career interrupted.”

More from MCN