Biking summer begins at last: Events you can get out and watch this year
A quick glance at the biking calendar for this year might have you feeling a bit glum about what could have been, but as restrictions begin to ease there’s still plenty of events to get out there and enjoy.
One of the best events of the biking calendar is the Malle Mile – a three-day biking festival in the grounds of Kevington Hall. After a lot of effort, the organisers have been able to confirm that the event will be going ahead.
Related articles on MCN
- How Coronavirus is affecting the motorbike industry
- What the Budget really means for bikers
- Big changes to lid laws incoming
"It’s been hard work and there’s some big changes but the essence of the event will remain," says Robert Nightingale, founder of Malle.
"Obviously all the indoor stuff will now be outdoors and we’re spacing things out more for easy social distancing but everyone is happy with our plans, so we’ve been granted an event licence. We’re returning to our roots a little and focusing more on the theatre of close-up racing."
Running from Friday-Sunday, August 21-23, there are still plenty of tickets to the event starting from £45, with a few spots still left in most racing categories. Of course if big bike racing is more your thing, then the Covid-19 revised British Superbikes calendar could be right up your street.
Compressing 18 races into six rounds from August to October, it’s set to be an action-packed few months. With a range of different tracks and no Showdown, the season ought to be full of twists and turns, culminating in a triple-header on the Brands Hatch GP circuit. There are still tickets available for each round, with a full weekend of racing costing just £40.
If you’re after a traditional biker rally, MAG still have plans to scratch that itch with the Yorkshire Pudding Rally from Friday-Sunday, August 25-28, while autojumblers will be jumping for joy at the return of the Kempton Park and ’Normous Newark on September 12 and 20 respectively.
If you’re not quite up to travel just yet, looking further ahead Malle have even more plans with a day of beach racing planned down in Margate on September 26. Then of course there’s the hundreds of meet ups and bike cafes that are gradually slipping out of their slumber up and down the country.
So don’t be down, whatever sort of two-wheeled antics you fancy, there’s plenty to be looking forward to over the next few months. Just remember to distance.
MCN advice: How Coronavirus is affecting motorbike events
First published on May 4, 2020 by Gareth Evans
MCN is compiling a list of motorbike events that have been affected by the outbreak of Coronavirus. Check here before setting out or striking it off your calendar.
While most motorcycling events won’t be taking place following the latest advice from the Government, many are moving to dates in the future and there are many more that are still in the planning stages. We’ll attempt to publish the most up to date information here.
If you’re an organiser of an event and want it added to this directory please email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'event change' in the subject line.
- Wheels and Waves - September 3-6 - cancelled.
- Isle of Man Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix - August 22 - September 4 - cancelled.
- Thailand MotoGP - March 20-22 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- 81st Pioneer Run by Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club – March 22 – cancelled.
- Gingers Easter Egg Weekend - March 27-29 - cancelled.
- WSB Jerez - March 27-29 - postponed to October 23-25.
- Goodwood Members' Meeting - March 28-29 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Darley Moor Road Race meeting - March 28-29 - cancelled.
- Penrith Autojumble - March 29 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- BSB test, Silverstone - April 1-2 - cancelled.
- VMCC Rider Experience Day at Curborough – April 4 – cancelled.
- CMA Leicester Easter Egg Run – April 4 – cancelled.
- Peterborough HOG Easter Egg Run – April 5 – cancelled.
- Nottinghamshire Motorcycle Easter Egg Run – April 5 – cancelled. Further information will follow as soon as possible regarding any contingency measures to deliver eggs already purchased.
- Squires Easter Egg Run – April 5 – cancelled.
- Festival of Power, Santa Pod - April 10-12 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- BSB Round 1, Silverstone - April 10-12 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Carronvalley MCC Easter Charity Run - April 12 - cancelled, but raffle and Auction to raise funds for Children’s Hospices Across Scotland going ahead as planned.
- Le Mans 24-hour FIM Endurance World Championship - April 18-19 - postponed to August 29-30.
- Indian Motorcycle Flat Track Nationals - April 18-19 – cancelled.
- Yamaha Racing Experience, Misano - April 20-21 - cancelled.
- Stafford Classic Bike Show (and Bonhams Spring Stafford Sale) – April 24-26 – postponed until June 12-13 (Friday-Saturday) at Stafford County Showground.
- Royal Enfield One Ride - April 25-26 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- MotoGP Jerez - May 1-3 - cancelled.
- BSB Oulton Park - May 1-3 - cancelled.
- BMAD Festival - May 1-3 - cancelled.
- In to the Valley Rally - May 1-3 - cancelled.
- Performance RWYB, Santa Pod - May 1 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Springspeed Nationals, Santa Pod - May 2-3 - cancelled.
- Welsh National Rally - May 2 - postponed until October 3.
- Classicwise Collection Notts Classic Car and Motorcycle Show - May 3 - postponed until August 30-31.
- Spring Auto Jumble, Sammy Miller Museum - May 3 - postponed until August 30.
- Classic Motorcycle Day - May 3 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Scottish Six Day Trial - May 4-6 - cancelled.
- Hastings May Run - May 8 - postponed until August 15.
- VE Anniversary, Sammy Miller Museum - May 8 - cancelled.
- WSB Imola - May 8-10 - cancelled.
- NSRA Nostalgia Nationals Santa Pod - May 8-10 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Backfire Race the Waves 2020 - May 9-10 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- InSpire 2020 Ride-in - May 10 - postponed to August 30.
- NW200 - May 10-16 - cancelled.
- MotoGP Le Mans - May 15-17 - cancelled.
- The Quail Motorcycle Gathering – May 14-15 – postponed until next year, tickets on sale October.
- Southern Classic Off Road and Racing show - May 16 - postponed until December 5.
- Devitt MCN Festival of Motorcycling - May 16-17 - postponed until September 19-20.
- Romney Marsh Classic Bikejumble - May 17 - cancelled.
- Bike Shed London Show, Tobacco Dock - May 22-24 - cancelled.
- WSB Motorland Aragon, Spain - May 22-24 - cancelled.
- FIA/FEM Main Event European Championships, Santa Pod - May 22-25 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este - May 22-24 - postponed until October 16-18.
- BSB Donington Park - May 22-24 - cancelled.
- Iron Butt Jorvick Rally - May 23 - postponed until October 24
- Triumph meet at Sammy Miller Museum - May 24 - cancelled.
- Margate Meltdown Run, Ace Cafe - May 25 - cancelled.
- FH-DCE Super Rally 2020, Sweden - May 27-31 - cancelled.
- RWYB Santa Pod - May 30 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- MotoGP Mugello, Italy - May 29-31 - cancelled.
- Wales 500 Rallymoto - May 30-31 - postponed until September 2020.
- Bromyard Speed Festival, Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb - May 31 - postponed until 2021.
- Banbury Run VMCC - May 31 - postponed until August 16.
- Ireland Bikefest - May 29-June 1 - postponed until June 4-7, 2021.
Wheels and Waves Motorcycle Festival, Cite De L’Ocean, Biarritz, France - June 11-14 - cancelled.
- Isle of Man TT - May 30 - June 13 - cancelled.
- Yamaha Racing Experience, Le Mans - June 25-26 - cancelled.
- Big Bike Sunday, Skipton Auction Mart - June 28 - cancelled.
- Goodwood Festival of Speed - July 9-12 - postponed, new date to be confirmed.
- World Ducati Week - July 17, 18, 19 - cancelled.
- Prescott Bike Festival - July 19 - postponed until June 26-27, 2021.
- Malle Mile - 24-26 July - postponed to September 26.
- Gloucestershire Vintage & Country Extravaganza - July 31 - cancelled.
- WSB Magny-Cours - 27-29 September - postponed to October 2-4 due to MotoGP clash.
Trackdays to restart in England
Motorcycle trackdays are set to restart at major English circuits as of Tuesday, May 26 through No Limits, following the reopening of all MotorSport Vision (MSV) circuits.
Consisting of Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton Park, Bedford Autodrome, Cadwell Park and Donington Park, all six venues were closed as of 6pm on Monday, March 23, due to Coronavirus.
MSV's own events are also set to begin on Monday, June 1, with dates also being advertised at venues including Mallory Park, Lydden Hill and Croft. Other venues, such as Blyton Park, are being advertised elsewhere, too.