BMW reveal new K1600B bagger
BMW Motorrad have just whipped the covers off their new K1600B bagger in America – the market that asked for this version, and where the firm will undoubtedly sell the most of this quirky creation.
The presentation of the Concept 101 concept study as part of the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in Spring 2015 was a serious tip-off to the K16’s bagger shaped future, but many thought BMW would never build such an overtly American offering. But here it is – looking just like the bike MCN's spy snappers caught on the road two weeks ago.
Boasting the same chassis and engine package as the rest of the K16 range, meaning that stunning in-line 6-cylinder engine and 160hp on the end of a fly-by-wire throttle, now come with swooping bodywork that wouldn’t look too out of place in the 1920s.
From the highest point, the screen at the front, the B slides away towards the rear with a teardrop silhouette and streamliner style to deep-set side cases with integrated rear lights, beneath which sit new fully chrome-plated silencers that run parallel to the road.
The side cases get slimmer covers and deeper bodies to allow for easy luggage loading, while the rear mudguard has been designed to fold upwards to make it easier to remove the rear wheel.
The B comes with BMW’s electronically controlled Dynamic ESA suspension, and in standard Road mode damping adaptation it’s fully automated, offering the very highest level of performance. In addition, there’s a Cruise mode which is all about comfort.
There’s also a new optional reverse assist feature for easier manoeuvring, and Shift Assistant Pro for clutchless shifting up and down through the gearbox.
As you’d expect, there will be a wide range of genuine accessories and options available, too.
There’s no word on UK prices or availability yet.
BMW K1600B highlights
- 6-cylinder in-line engine developing 160bhp @ 7750rpm and a maximum torque of 175Nm at 5250rpm.
- Bagger design fixed side cases and integrated light units.
- Chrome-plated parallel silencers with ribbed end caps.
- Folding rear mudguard for easy wheel removal.
- Effective wind and weather protection with wind deflectors stretched further back.
- Typical short bagger-style electrically adjustable windscreen.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with Road and Cruise modes as standard.
- Optional reverse assist for simpler manoeuvrability.
- Optional Shift Assistant Pro for up and down shifts.
- Optional Intelligent Emergency Call function.