Stroker luck! £30K lightweight British-built two-stroke café racer incoming
If you thought the performance two-stroke roadster was dead – think again. This all-new, British built, 250cc stroker is being created by CCM’s ex-chief design engineer Chris Ratcliffe.
It is based around the Italian Vins injected V-twin motor used in the Duecinquanta 250, has a bespoke space frame with top-spec cycle parts and is set to be launched this summer priced at around £30,000.
Related articles on MCN
- Time for a two-stroke comeback?
- New Triumph Speed Triple spied in testing
- National Motorcycle Museum appeal
Chris worked at CCM for 10 years and led the Bolton firm’s design and engineering teams on both the 450 Adventure and Spitfire family before leaving to set up his own venture last March. His new firm, Langen Motorcycles, are planning to go into limited production next year with this neat 250.
Chris says the idea for a pure, performance, old-school-style stroker but with modern technology and performance came partly from his own TZR125 heritage but was also inspired by his dad, who used to work at Cotton/CCM on their 250 road racers.
"For me, with all these electric bikes coming, it’s a final swansong for the two-stroke," he says. "It’s a modern twist on a café racer. Hopefully it will look gorgeous but mainly it will be a very purposeful ultra lightweight machine that will be like nothing else out there to ride.
"It’ll have around 80bhp and weigh a maximum of 115kg and be fitted with top-line running gear, suspension, brakes etc. Most importantly, it will sound and smell amazing."
Production numbers, Ratcliffe says, depend on demand but he has plenty of ideas for other bikes beyond that: "I just want to create some interesting bikes."
Langen Motorcycles two-stroke explored:
- Stroker genius Two-stroke, 249cc, 90o V-twin is the advanced fuel-and-oil injected unit developed by Vins Motors. It makes 75bhp.
- Light fantastic Ultra-lightweight tubular aluminium 'space' frame is handmade in Wigan and combines with a similar swingarm.
- Running gear Öhlins 43mm forks and twin bespoke K-Tech shocks are both multi-adjustable. They look cool and perform well, too.
- Stopping power Twin 300mm Brembo discs (265mm rear) are clamped by HEL radial billet calipers front and rear.
- Material quality Tank and bodywork is hand-laid carbon-fibre produced on site with 24ct gold detailing for ultimate 'bling.'