Mallory Park British Superbikes: Tom Sykes heads diminished field in FP2
Sykes was one of just 16 riders who took part in the mixed session.
Rain fell for nearly an hour during the break period this afternoon, meaning the Supersport riders faced a wet session and the following BSB session would run in drying conditions.
But with something of a dry line forming, the rain fell with just nine minutes left, dashing any hopes of working on a dry setup.
And it was Sykes who put in a run of laps just before the second instalment of showers, setting a time of 1.00.490 moments before the heavens opened.
But what the changeable weather has brought is a new-look to the timing sheets.
Tristan Palmer, who went well in this morning’s practice and finished 11th overall, set the second fastest time, just ahead of the STP Superbike MV Agusta rider Chris Burns.
Easily the highest place finish in any session for an MV Agusta in BSB, Burns is making his return at Mallory Park after the team had to miss the last round at Snetterton with too many mechanical issues to resolve.
Leon Haslam put in a lap time of 1.02.603 in the opening 20 minutes and that was good enough to secure a provision spot on the front row with fourth.
Sykes’ team-mate, Atsushi Watanabe, had his best session finish with a sixth, ahead of Aaron Zanotti in seventh and David Johnson in ninth.
The Airwves Ducati pairing didn’t even appear on track during the session and neither did 11 other riders including Michael Rutter.
Mallory Park British Superbikes Free Practice 2 Results
1. Tom Sykes Rizla Suzuki 1.00.490
2. Tristan Palmer Tena for Men Honda 1.00.841
3. Chris Burns STP Superbike MV Agusta 1.02.051
4. Leon Haslam HM Plant Honda 1.02.603
5. Karl Harris RM Racing Yamaha 1.03.401
6. Atsushi Watanabe Rizla Suzuki 1.04.174
7. Aaron Zanotti Red Viper Racing Honda 1.04.454
8. Cal Crutchlow HM Plant Honda 1.04.626
9. David Johnson Team Maxxis Honda 1.04.685
10. Malcolm Ashley MAR Adept Kawasaki 1.05.245
11. James Ellison Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.05.972
12. Guy Martin Hydrex Bike Animal Honda 1.07.040
13. Tom Tunstall Hardinge Ice Valley Honda 1.08.264
14. Dean Ellison Co-ordit Racing Yamaha 1.08.511
15. Leon Morris Brookspeed Moto-Rapido 1.09.243
16. Michael Laverty Relentless Suzuki 1.12.644