BSB Brands Hatch: Byrne takes race two win
HM Plant Honda rider Shane Byrne took the race two win at Brands Hatch this afternoon, having successfully managed to fend off the challenges of Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha), who finished a close second. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) rode consistently to take third.
Hill took the holeshot from Kawasaki WSB rider Joan Lascorz, Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) and Byrne, before Rutter passed Lascorz going into Paddock Hill Bend. Lascorz ran wide gifting Byrne third, before Hopkins quickly followed, relegating the Kawasaki rider to fifth.
Byrne closed in on Rutter, before taking second from the Ducati rider at Druids and beginning to close the gap on Hill, making several challenges before passing on the inside at Surtees to take the lead.
At the mid-way point Hill was searching for a way back into first, trading places but being unable to make a pass stick, whilst race one winner Josh Brookes had been on the move, taking ninth on lap eleven.
Laverty was able to capitalise on a mistake from Rutter at Paddock on lap fifteen, moving into fourth place. Two laps later Hill put in the fastest lap of the race but was unable to challenge Byrne who continued to ride consistently quickly and defensively to take the win.
Josh Brookes managed to scathe through the pack to take sixth place, finishing behind Michael Rutter in fifth and Laverty in fourth.
Joan Lascorz finished seventh, closely followed by Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) and Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) in eighth and ninth. Tyco Honda rider Peter Hickman completed the top ten.
1. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 29:01.030
2. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +0.580s
3. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +1.853s
4. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +4.016s
5. Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +6.891s
6. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +14.036s
7. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki World Superbike) +17.006s
8. Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +17.175s
9. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +17.180s
10. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +17.375s