Byrne fast in Oulton test
Shane Byrne has finished off the2014 official MCE British Superbike testing schedule in pole position, taking the top spot on Oulton Park on Friday, albeit in a session lacking many of his championship rivals and hit with rain.
Byrne was the fastest man in the opening two sessions, 0.7 faster than teammate Stuart Easton with a 1:36.5 lap around the Cheshire circuit.
However, with Milwaukee Yamaha, Tyco Suzuki and Buildbase BMW all absent from the day-long event, Byrne will have to be content knowing his own pace is fast enough ahead of the second round of the championship there next week.
Speaking afterwards, he said: "After Brands Hatch it was nice to have a few days off to recover and it was handy to have the test today ready for next weekend. We got in two sessions and then it rained and we didn't want to make a mistake so we finished early plus my crew chief Johnny has been taken to hospital with suspected appendicitis so hopefully he feels better soon. Overall it has been good to get a run out here before next weekend; we didn't go for any fast laps but at least we have got some in ready for the races."
1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 1m:36.472s
2. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.691s
3. Chris Walker (Lloyds British GBmoto Racing Kawasaki) +0.994s
4. Dan Linfoot (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +1.438s
5. Michael Rutter (Bathams BMW) +1.960s
6. Keith Farmer (PR Racing Kawasaki) +2.341s
7. Patric Muff (Bathams BMW) +2.816s
8. Peter Baker (Morello Services Kawasaki) +3.542s
9. Jenny Tinmouth (TWR Honda) +4.436s