BSB: Mossey obliterates Cartagena lap record
Luke Mossey obliterated the outright lap record of the Cartagena track to remain on top as lap times tumble on the third day of MCE British Superbike testing in Spain.
The young gun set a quickest time of 1’32.3 in the morning’s cooler temperature, 0.3 quicker than the previous lap record set by team-mate Leon Haslam at a test with Honda's World Superbike team in 2013.
James Ellison was second quickest for McAMS Yamaha, clocking a fastest lap of 1’32.5 also set in the morning, while John Hopkins set a time of 1’32.8 that would see him rank third for MotoRapido Ducati in the final session of the day.
Leon Haslam was fourth on the second JG Speedfit Kawasaki with Christian Iddon matching his time of 1’33.1 on the Tyco BMW.
Davide Giugliano, who continues to enjoy riding with the BSB-spec electronics, set the sixth quickest time of the day recording a 1’33.3 second lap.
- Suzuki GSX250R price announced
- Insurance comparisons: Honda CBR600F
- Gallery: Honda X-ADV first ride
- MotoGP: Marquez admits there’s work to do at Honda
- Product review: Oxford Hot Vest
Suffering with chatter issues on the front, Michael Laverty was unable to replicate his first day pace and ranked seventh ahead of Riders Motorcycles Martin Jessopp and Quattro Plant FS3 Kawasaki’s Billy McConnell, whose day ended early after a crash in the third session.
Taylor Mackenzie was tenth for Bennetts Suzuki with a time of 1’33.9, while his Suzuki team-mate Bradley Ray sat most of the third day out with technical problems.
It's unlikely times will change on Saturday or Sunday with most teams having packed up to head either to another circuit or back to the UK.
Cartagena Test - Times Day 3
1. Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:32.3s
2. James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) 1m:32.5s
3. John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) 1m:32.8s
4. Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:33.1s
5. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) 1m:33.1s
6. Davide Giugliano (Tyco BMW) 1m:33.3s
7. Michael Laverty (McAMS Yamaha) 1m:33.4s
8. Martin Jessopp (RidersMotorcycle BMW) 1m:33.6s
9. Billy McConnell (Quattro Plant FS3 Kawasaki) 1m:33.6s
10. Taylor Mackenzie (Bennetts Suzuki) 1m:33.9s
11. Lee Jackson (Smiths BMW) 1m:34.6s
12. Peter Hickman (Smiths BMW) 1m:34.7s