BSB: Mossey takes to the top on Day 2 in Cartagena
Luke Mossey took to the top of the timesheets on the second day of MCE British Superbike testing at Cartagena ahead of team-mate Leon Haslam and day one’s quickest rider James Ellison.
Mossey’s quickest lap of 1’33.08, fractionally quicker than he went in the 2016 Cartagena test, came in the second session of the day as higher temperatures reduced grip towards the end of the day.
Haslam came close to toppling his team-mate’s time but spent his day focusing on consistency and tyre longevity.
James Ellison, who had shocked as he took to the top of the timesheets on the opening day, remained quick on the second day to reportedly post numerous laps in the 1’33 bracket, with his quickest time of 1’33.30 also coming in the day’s second session.
- MotoGP: Lorenzo not ready to race
- Bike thieves target Cornwall
- Bike of the day: Kawasaki Versys 650
- Top 5 motorcycle crash protectors
- Top 5 ear plugs for bikers
MotoRapido Ducati’s John Hopkins impressed with a quickest time of 1’33.60, placing fourth quickest as he continues to re-familiarise himself with the booming V-Twin.
Michael Laverty was unable to improve his quickest time from the opening day after taking the wrong direction in set-up but remained confident after his second day on the McAMS Yamaha.
Tyco BMW’s leading representative on track was Christian Iddon, who took steps forward despite another challenging day with the S1000RR placed sixth quickest ahead of Bennetts Suzuki’s Taylor Mackenzie. New boy Davide Giugliano knocked his time down to a 1’34.75 as he gets to grips with the BSB-spec machine.
Billy McConnell was ninth quickest while Smiths BMW duo Peter Hickman and Lee Jackson, who took two trips into the gravel on the second day, completing the teams offering times.
Unnofficial Times – Day 2 Cartagena
- Luke Mossey – JG Speedfit Kawasaki – 1’33.08
- Leon Haslam – JG Speedfit Kawasaki – 1’33.20
- James Ellison – McAMS Yamaha – 1’33.30
- John Hopkins – MotoRapido Ducati – 1’33.60
- Laverty – McAMS Yamaha – 1’33.90
- Christian Iddon – Tyco BMW – 1’34.20
- Taylor Mackenzie – Bennetts Suzuki - 1’34.40
- Davide Giugliano – Tyco BMW – 1’34.75
- Billy McConnell – Quattro Plant FS3 Kawasaki – 1’34.80
- Peter Hickman – Smiths BMW – 1’35.00
- Lee Jackson – Smiths BMW – 1’35.00