Sepang GP test: Day two
Sete Gibernau has gone 0.5 seconds quicker than the best time set by Valentino Rossi in MotoGP testing at Sepang.
The Spaniard's time of 2:01.66 on the second day of testing saw him beat Rossi's time from the previous day. It was set on the new Ducati Desmosedici GP06, which also propelled team-mate Loris Capirossi to the second quickest time of 2:01.83. The pair were the only riders to drop below 2:02.
Third quickest was the Camel Yamaha of Colin Edwards with 2.02, followed by Nicky Hayden on the Repsol Honda and impressive team-mate Dani Pedrosa. A oress conference at Sepang by HRC General Manager Tsutomu Ishi revealed Hayden is working on the lastest version of the RC211V. The final decision about whether to use the newest Honda, or to shelve it, will be taken at the Official Test of Catalunya in March.
John Hopkins was on track early today on the Suzuki GSV-R and worked on electronic and power distribution problems, recording the sixth best time in the process.
Valentino Rossi was ninth quickest overall, running a race simulation in the morning session and sitting out the wet weather which affected the afternoon final session. The only rider to go out in the damp conditions was Dani Pedrosa.
Britain's James Ellison was out on the Tech 3 Yamaha, improving his time by over two seconds, and putting in 52 laps. The only riders with more track time were Edwards, Hayden and Ducati test rider Shinichi Itoh.
Sepang day two unofficial times:
1. Sete Gibernau (Ducati) 2:01.66.
2. Loris Capirossi (Ducati) 2:01.83.
3. Colin Edwards (Yamaha) 2:02.00.
4. Nicky Hayden (Honda) 2:02.02.
5. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2:02.26.
6. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 2:02.40.
7. Randy de Puniet (Kawasaki) 2:02.55.
8. Casey Stoner (Honda) 2:02.57.
9. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 2:02.62.
10. Shinya Nakano (Kawasaki) 2:02.65.
11. Marco Melandri (Honda) 2:02.70.
12. Toni Elias (Honda) 2:03.20.
13. Shinichi Itoh (Ducati tester) 2:03.49.
14. Naoki Matsudo (Kawasaki tester) 2:04.08.
15. Kenny Roberts Jr (Team KR) 2:04.10.
16. James Ellison (Yamaha) 2:04.15.
17. Chris Vermeulen (Suzuki) 2:04.23.
18. Alex Hofmann (Ducati) 2:04.49.
19. Cardoso (Ducati) 2:06.60.
Buying a bike? Click here for MCN's reviews.