JiR Scott Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso managed to keep his cool in tricky conditions at Donington Park this morning to set the fastest lap of a very wet third free practice session for the MotoGP field.
Dovizioso left it late to go to the top of the timing boards after Casey Stoner had dominated much of the session.
Dovizioso pipped former 250cc rival Dani Pedrosa to the number one spot with a 1.43.957, just fourth thousandths ahead of the Spaniard who he was following for the final two laps.
The Italian rookies surge demoted back Nicky Hayden to third, who looked set to be on the time of the Free Practice time sheets with a 1.44.526, a fraction ahead of wet-weather specialist Anthony West on the Kawasaki.
James Toseland finished the session a disappointing 15th, but the Brit did suffer a low side going into Coppice 50 minutes into the session and was unable to get back the pits in time to get back out on the spare bike.
JT was seen limping away from the accident but Toseland has said he is okay and there is no damage to his right leg after the crash which was caused by a lack of grip.
Other causualties in the difficult wet conditions included serial crasher Randy De Puniet, who went down twice, John Hopkins who crashed 10-minutes into the session, and Shinya Nakano who lobbed it heading down towards the Melbourne Loop at the same time Toseland was hitting the tarmac.
Championship leader Valentino Rossi could only get as high as 9th with a 1.46.012 and Ben Spies climbed up to where he said he wanted to be, 10th position, with a 1.46.046.
Donington Park MotoGP Free Practice 3 results
1. A. DOVIZIOSO JiR Team Scot MotoGP 1'43.957
2. D. PEDROSA Repsol Honda Team + 0.038
3. N. HAYDEN Repsol Honda Team + 0.569
4. A. WEST Kawasaki Racing Team + 0.571
5. S. GUINTOLI Alice Team + 0.860
6. C. STONER Ducati Marlboro Team + 1.074
7. A. DE ANGELIS San Carlo Honda Gresini + 1.251
8. J. LORENZO Fiat Yamaha Team + 1.415
9. V. ROSSI Fiat Yamaha Team + 2.055
10. B. SPIES Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 2.089
11. C. VERMEULEN Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 2.231
12. C. EDWARDS Tech 3 Yamaha + 2.324
13. J. HOPKINS Kawasaki Racing Team + 2.987
14. T. ELIAS Alice Team + 3.728
15. J. TOSELAND Tech 3 Yamaha + 4.018
16. R. DE PUNIET LCR Honda MotoGP + 5.176
17. S. NAKANO San Carlo Honda Gresini + 6.449
18. M. MELANDRI Ducati Marlboro Team + 8.614