Donington Park MotoGP: Mike Di Meglio tops crash-filled 125 practice
Donington Park is a much different story today compared to yesterday’s glorious sunshine, with heavy rain causing chaos on track for this morning's first session, the 125’s second practice.
Championship leader Mike Di Meglio topped the timing sheets with a 1.52.674, fractionally under a full second ahead of the second place man Simone Corsi.
But Di Meglio did pay the price, crashing at the exit of Redgate in the very next lap.
And he wasn’t the only one to pay visits to the gravel with over twenty excursions in the 45-minute long session.
Bradley Smith was one of those caught out by the conditions and the tricky tarmac condition, crashing twice during the session.
Smith, who set the third fastest time of the session with a 1.53.938, low-sided on the entrance to Coppice with 12 minutes of the practice remaining.
And then hit the deck hard again, this time on the exit of Goddards when the chequered flag came out resulting in him having to be carried back to his garage by a couple of Marshalls.
It wasn’t just Bradley who went down twice – Andrea Iannone found the exit of Goddards rather taxing, crashing twice at the same corner.
And KTM riders Krummnacher and Marquez also lid down the tarmac on their backsides twice.
Scott Redding and Danny Webb both seriously struggled in the damp conditions – Redding set the 23rd fastest time with a 1.57.785 and Webb also lapped in the high 57’s and finish 25th, both over five seconds off Di Meglio’s pace.
However, if conditions remain the same this afternoon, Scott Redding will start tomorrow’s race from the front row in his first ever race at the full Donington GP circuit.
Donington Park MotoGP 125 free practice 2 results
1. M. DI MEGLIO Ajo Motorsport 1'52.674
2. S. CORSI Jack & Jones WRB + 1.004
3. B. SMITH Polaris World + 1.264
4. R. DE ROSA Onde 2000 KTM + 1.313
5. G. TALMACSI Bancaja Aspar Team + 1.731
6. J. CLUZEL Loncin Racing + 1.976
7. T. NAKAGAMI I.C. Team + 2.024
8. S. GADEA Bancaja Aspar Team + 2.224
9. R. KRUMMENACHER Red Bull KTM 125 + 2.369
10. S. BONSEY Degraaf Grand Prix + 2.845
11. M. RANSEDER I.C. Team + 3.216
12. H. VAN DEN BERG Degraaf Grand Prix + 3.560
13. S. BRADL Grizzly Gas Kiefer Racing + 3.631
14. P. NIETO Onde 2000 KTM + 3.901
15. S. BIANCO S3+ WTR San Marino Team + 3.907
16. R. MURESAN Grizzly Gas Kiefer Racing + 3.989