Italian MotoGP: Valentino Rossi smashes Mugello lap record and takes pole
Seven times world champion Valentino Rossi has taken pole position at the Mugello round of the MotoGP championship and set the fastest ever time round Mugello on two wheels.
Fiat Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi posted a 1’48″130 with 15 minutes of the session left to knock ex-team mate Colin Edwards off pole position.
Tech 3 Yamaha rider Edwards finished fifth with a time of 1’48″383. Loris Capirossi achieved Suzuki’s first front row grid position since Laguna Seca in 2007. He qualified third after topping the timesheet for a while.
Brit James Toseland was up to 2nd with 22 minutes of the session left, but got knocked down to eighth with his time of 1’49″025. Reigning MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner qualified fourth on the grid behind Loris Capirossi.
Casey Stoner is the only Ducati rider to qualify in the top 15 at Mugello.
Kawasaki rider John Hopkins qualified 14th with his team mate Anthony West last on the grid in 19th – almost three seconds off the pace of Valentino Rossi. Yesterdays fastest rider, Suzuki’s Chris Vermeulen qualified 11th with a time of 1’49″220.
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha 1’48.130
2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +0.167
3. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.183
4. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +0.245
5. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha +0.253
6. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +0.536
7. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +0.775
8. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha +0.895
9. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini +0.965
10. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini +1.015
11. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP
12. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda
13. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot
14. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team
15. Tadayuki Okada (JPN) Repsol Honda
16. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Ducati
17. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Ducati
18. Marco Melandri (ITA) Marlboro Ducati
19. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team