Honda and Ducati confirm Scott Redding interest
Honda and Ducati have admitted being seriously interested in Scott Redding for 2014, with the British rider in talks about a new production RC213V ride or Desmosedici prototype berth next season.
Talks between Redding’s representatives and the Gresini Honda squad were first revealed in today’s (Wednesday) issue of Motor Cycle News and started after the 20-year-old claimed a record-breaking victory in the recent Italian Moto2 round in Mugello.
Redding’s future has been the subject of intense speculation after his sensational start to 2013. He leads the Moto2 series by 35-points after claiming two wins and two second places in the opening six races.
He has also been linked with the possibility of racing a Yamaha YZR-M1-powered bike in a Kalex frame for his current Marc VDS Racing squad.
Fausto Gresini is likely to ditch his current CRT bike, which uses a British-built FTR-frame and tuned Honda CBR1000RR motor, in favour of buying one of five production RC213V machines that will be available for 2014.
And Honda boss Livio Suppo told MCN that Redding is an attractive option for 2014.
The former Ducati boss said: “Scott is a very interesting rider for us. He is doing a good job in Moto2 and of course as always to show the potential of any bike you need a good rider, so Scott is very interesting.”
Asked whether Redding’s deal would give him a guaranteed place on a factory prototype Honda machine in 2015, Suppo said: “It is hard for Honda to guarantee something that the team has to do so at the moment there is nothing in place with Fausto for 2015. It is too early to say. But a rider like Scott is interesting and it could be a good way to enter MotoGP with the production bike and then the year after with more experience you can move to a full prototype. I think the production bike will be good enough to let any rider show his potential.”
Ducati boss Paolo Ciabatti also confirmed that the Bologna factory had renewed its interest in Redding.
Redding tested a Ducati Desmosedici at Mugello last summer and was close to a deal before the trail went cold and he lost out to Ben Spies and Andrea Iannone in the Pramac squad.
But Ciabatti told today’s MCN: “Ducati tested with Scott last year and we have kept the relationship and contact open. Marc VDS is a very well organised team and there were already talks last year about the possibility for them to be a satellite Ducati team. At the moment there are talks to see if there are opportunities to cooperate with the rider, team or both next year."
For more on Redding’s potential for a MotoGP slot in 2014 , see the June 19 issue of Motor Cycle News.