Michelin to complete intensive 2016 testing schedule
Michelin will gather key data and feedback from at least 10 test sessions this year in advance of the French tyre brand taking over from Bridgestone as the sole tyre supplier in MotoGP in 2016.
Michelin has already been testing with Yamaha, Honda and Ducati after it agreed a deal with Dorna last season to supply the entire grid with tyres from next year onwards.
Testing in 2015 gets underway early next month when test riders like Colin Edwards from Yamaha and Michele Pirro from Ducati will spend one day after the first official test in Sepang evaluating tyres.
The first time the entire grid, including the likes of Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez, will sample the new spec Michelin rubber for the first time comes on February 26 at the end of the second Sepang test in Malaysia.
Michelin then has post race tests scheduled immediately after the Argentina, Jerez, Le Mans, Mugello, Catalunya, Assen and Brno rounds.
The only other time apart from Sepang 2 that the entire grid will test Michelin rubber will be at the August 17 post race session in Brno.
Factory riders though like Rossi and Marquez are likely to test at Mugello at June 1, which has been designated a factory contracted rider test only.
Here are some key dates for Michelin’s testing schedule throughout 2015.
- February 7 Sepang – Factory test riders only
- February 26 Sepang – Entire grid and test riders
- March 16 Qatar – Factory test riders only
- April 20 Argentina – Factory test riders only
- May 4 Jerez – Factory test riders only
- May 18 Le Mans – Factory test riders only
- June 1 Mugello – Factory riders only (2 per factory)
- June 15 Catalunya – Factory test riders only
- June 28 Assen – Factory test riders only
- August 17 Brno – Entire grid and test riders