MotoGP: Official: Rossi to attempt to ride in Aragon
Valentino Rossi will attempt to compete in this week’s Aragon Grand Prix, the Movistar Yamaha team have this afternoon confirmed.
The nine-time world champion will try to make an incredible comeback just 22 days after breaking his lower right leg in an enduro accident.
The decision comes after Rossi completed a shakedown test aboard a YZF-R1M over the past two days, with the Italian completing 20 laps of the Misano circuit yesterday.
Since then, he has undergone a further medical examination and made the decision to travel to Aragon in order to try and participate in the weekend’s race.
In order to compete, Rossi will still need to complete a mandatory medical check by the circuit’s Chief Medical Officer before he’s declared fit.
World Superbike star Michael van der Mark, who was pencilled in to replace Rossi at the Spanish track, will still travel to Aragon in case Rossi does not pass the medical or decides he is not fit enough to compete in Sunday’s race after any of the three free practice sessions.
- Rider jailed for dangerous riding
- MotoGP: Rossi to try and ride at Aragon?
- MotoGP: Zarco aiming for Aragon podium
- 5 fantastic pocket rockets
- Why zero interest in small bikes is good…
Technically the team do not have to confirm whether van der Mark will step into Rossi’s shoes until two hours before qualifying, meaning the Italian can decide at any point ahead of the untimed FP4, but he expects to have a decision on whether he’ll continue after FP1.
“Fortunately, yesterday I had a good test with my YZF-R1M in Misano,” Rossi said. “I tried also the day before, but the rain stopped me after a few laps. Yesterday I managed to complete 20 laps and find the answers I was looking for.
“Eventually, the test was positive and I want to say thanks to Dr Lucidi and his staff, who helped me find the best solutions to feel the least amount of pain possible in my leg when I’m riding.
“Obviously at the end of the test I was in a little bit of pain, but this morning I went to Dr Pascarella for a medical check and the result was positive. At the end I decided I will leave for Aragon and will try to ride my M1 this weekend. If I am declared fit to ride, I’ll have the real answer after FP1 because riding the M1 will be a much bigger challenge.”