Brno Moto2: Marquez takes control with convincing win
Alex Marquez stamped his authority on the Moto2 class by taking his fifth win in six races for the Marc VDS team. The 23 year old Spaniard took the lead from Britain’s Sam Lowes on the opening lap and was never headed, despite being pushed all the way by second place finisher Fabio Di Giannantonio.
Marquez who now leads the championship standing by 33 points after his closest rival Thomas Luthi crashed out. Marquez said: “I’m so happy and I really enjoyed being on the bike today. It was a long race. I tried to make a gap at the beginning and it worked. Now that’s five wins, which is good and we need to keep this going.
Fabio Di Giannantonio secured his first Moto2 podium riding the Bete Tools Speed-up. He said:
“This podium means a lot to me. I have trained a lot to be as fast as possible with this bike. The team have helped me a lot and they are still helping me. I pushed 100% from the first corner, I took some risks but I really wanted this podium.”
Third place went to Enea Bastiannini who overhauled Jorge Narvaro in the closing laps.
Front row qualifier Sam Lowes ran in the lead group early on, but unfortunately crashed out of tenth position with ten laps to go.
Jake Dixon who secured his best qualifying position of the year in ninth finished the race in 18th place.
Brno Moto2 result
1. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS)
2. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Beta Tools Speed Up) + 3.018
3. Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) + 4.158
4. Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) + 4.290
5. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 7.031
6. Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 8.847
7. Nicolo Bulega (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 8.937
8. Augusto Fernandez (FLEXBOX HP 40) + 11.900
9. Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 12.896
10. Iker Lecuona (American Racing KTM) +19.079