Ulster GP: Anstey halts Hickman domination in Superbike epic
Bruce Anstey put a stop to Peter Hickman’s domination of the 2017 Ulster Grand Prix with victory in a thrilling Superbike race.
Hickman took the early lead from pole position and it was the second Padgetts Honda of Conor Cummins who led the chase early on, but Anstey would soon recover from his bad start to set a new outright lap record on lap two as he moved into second place.
Anstey’s lap record wouldn’t last long, however, with Dean Harrison elevating himself from fifth to third with another lap record on the fourth lap, completing the 7.4 mile course with an average speed of 134.614mph.
- Ulster GP: Outright record and Dundrod 150 win for Hickman
- Burgman 400: More than just a commuter scooter
- Ride with Schwantz
- MCN Fleet: Who's a fellow X-Adv rider?
- MotoGP: Miller finally confirmed at Pramac Ducati for 2018
Anstey took the lead from Hickman at Joey’s Windmill on lap four as the duo pulled slightly on the chasing pack of Harrison, Cummins and the Tyco BMW of Dan Kneen.
Hickman would be back in front for the penultimate lap, but a cunning move from Anstey would see him secure the lead on the RC213V-S half way through the final lap leaving Hickman with no choice but to settle for second.
A hard charge from Dan Kneen on the final lap saw him close right in on Harrison for third but the Kawasaki just got it by 0.06 seconds with Cummins a further 0.082 behind in fifth.
Derek Sheils crossed the line sixth for Burrows Engineering Suzuki ahead of the Fleetwood Grab BMW of David Johnson while Jamie Coward, Sam West and Daley Mathison rounded out the top ten. Michael Dunlop retired from the top six on the fourth lap of the race.
SUPERBIKE RACE 1 RESULT
- Bruce Anstey – Padgetts Racing RCV
- Peter Hickman – Smiths BMW +0.272
- Dean Harrison – Silicone Engineering Kawasaki +1.060
- Dan Kneen – Tyco BMW +1.121
- Conor Cummins – Padgetts Racing +1.203
- Derek Sheils – Cookstown BE Racing +32.632
- David Johnson – Fleetwood Grab BMW +37.322
- Jamie Coward – Radcliffe’s Racing +39.878
- Sam West – BMW +42.685
- Daley Mathison – Eddie Stobart BMW +43.034