TT 2017: Dunlop wins Senior TT on new GSX-R
Michael Dunlop took a historic victory in this afternoon’s Senior TT race on the Isle of Man, taking the all-new GSX-R to the top step of the podium in the four lap race.
The Bennetts Suzuki rider had initially been off the pace with rival Ian Hutchinson and Peter Hickman trading the lead in the early stages but a crash for Hutchinson at the 27th milestone on lap two brought the race to a halt.
Taken to hospital by air ambulance, Hutchinson was confirmed to have a fractured femur and the race was re-started over a shortened distance at 17:15 local time.
A change of rear shock in the break saw Dunlop charge to the front from the off, eeking out his lead over Hickman check-point by check-point as he clocked an average speed of 132.292mph from a standing start on the opening lap.
Dunlop was timed at a sub-17 lap Glen Helen to Glen Helen, but just missed out on the 133mph marker as he slowed for the pits on lap two.
- TT: Monday practice cancelled
- WSB: Sykes slams reverse grid system
- Product review: Caberg Stunt helmet
- Knox Phelix stylish women's jacket
- WSB: Dixon turns heads with top ten finish
Another rapid lap for Dunlop saw his lead at ten seconds as he headed onto the final lap.
Dean Harrison took a distant third place, ten seconds off Hickman with James Hillier fourth on the JG Speedfit Kawasaki.
Michael Rutter took fifth, with Josh Brookes beating Norton team-mate David Johnson to take the British marque’s best result since returning to the TT with both his and Norton’s fastest ever lap of the TT course.
Conor Cummins finished eighth ahead of Martin Jessopp, who just pipped William Dunlop to ninth on the final lap.
Pokerstars Senior TT Result
- Michael Dunlop – Bennetts Suzuki
- Peter Hickman – Smiths BMW +13.320
- Dean Harrison – Silicone Engineering Kawasaki +10.185 (to Hickman)
- James Hillier – JG Speedfit Kawasaki +23.497
- Michael Rutter – Bathams BMW +0.644
- Josh Brookes – Norton +16.436
- David Johnson – Norton +2.678
- Conor Cummins – Padgetts Honda +26.817
- Martin Jessopp – Riders Motorcycles BMW +11.459
- William Dunlop – Temple Golf Yamaha +0.869
Pick up a copy of our special edition McGuinness: Ordinary bloke. Extraordinary Racer. This special from MCN, celebrates the career of one of the sport's best-loved road racers. Affectionately known as McPint, John's career has wowed and entertained bike racing fans for more than 20 years. Buy it here.