Kevin Curtain was the surprise package of the opening Supersport qualifying in Valencia after ending the first session in third place, despite having a heavily plated and pinned left collarbone.
Curtain didn’t even know if he’d be fit to ride after breaking his collarbone at Donington Park two weeks ago.
But the tough Australian was on the pace all session. Despite being in pain, Curtain refused any pain killers and isn’t planning on using them at any point over the weekend.
Speaking to MCN he said: “It’s surprising, I thought the pain would be too much to really push, but it was actually ok.
“I knew I needed to put in a good time because we don’t know what the weather will be doing tomorrow.”
Current championship leader Keenan Sofuoglu set the pace in the opening session to go provisional pole with fellow Honda man Katsuaki Fujiwara backing up his impressive ride at Donington to secure second quickest.
Andrew Pitt, standing in for the injured Sebastian Charpentier, brushed of a crash at turn two when he fell on another rider’s oil to post the fifth fastest time onboard the Ten Kate Honda.
Britain’s Craig Jones struggled to get to grips with the Spanish track and will have a lot of work to do tomorrow after qualifying in 18th place.
First qualifying results:
- Sofuoglu Hannspree Ten Kate Honda 1:37.521
- Fujiwara Althea Honda Team 1:37.729
- Curtain Yamaha World SSP Racing 1:37.885
- Riba Team Gil Motor Sport 1:38.095
- Pitt Hannspree Ten Kate Honda 1:38.478
- Foret Team Gil Motor Spor 1:38.524
- Veneman Pioneer Hoegee Suzuki Racing 1:38.532
- Nannelli Team Caracchi Ducati SC 1:38.564
- Harms Stiggy Motorsport Honda 1:38.568
- Lascorz Glaner Motocard 1:38.649
- Parkes Yamaha World SSP Racing 1:38.681
- Fores HP Racing 1:38.734
- Alfonsi Althea Honda Team 1:38.753
- Giugliano Lightspeed Kawasaki Supp 1:38.915
- Salom Yamaha Spain 1:39.008
- Roccoli Yamaha Lorenzini by Leon 1:39.016
- Sanna Racing Team Parkalgar 1:39.086
- Jones Revè Ekerold Honda Racing 1:39.160
- Vizziello RG Team 1'39.243
- Kallio Pioneer Hoegee Suzuki Racing 1:39.245
- Checa Yamaha - GMT 94 1'39.283
- Boccolini Team PMS Kawasaki Supported 1:39.524
- Lagrive Intermoto Czech 1:39.539
- Gimbert Yamaha - GMT 94 1:39.575
- Ivanov Vector Racing Team 1:39.704
- Tiberio Stiggy Motorsport Honda 1:39.757
- Peris Yamaha-Moto 1 1:39.915
- Oraia Racing Team Parkalgar 1:40.238
- Lauslehto Intermoto Czech 1:40.259
- Milovanovic Team Benjan Motoren 1:40.423
- Günther CRS Grand Prix 1:40.566
- Bonastre Yamaha Factory 1:40.774
- Leblanc Vazy Racing Team 1:41.037
- Polzer LBR Racing Team 1:41.331
- Hidalgo Hidalva Team 1:41.349
- Forner Yamaha Spain 1:41.370
- Enjolras Tati Team Beaujolais Racing 1:41.436