Kawasaki’s Chris Walker secured the second fastest time in the opening day of the two day official World Supersport and Superbike test in Valencia today with a lap time 0.3 seconds off the lap record.
Walker arrived at the Spanish track desperate to resolve the front end grip problems he experienced at the first two rounds of the championship in Qatar and Australia.
Speaking to MCN Walker said: “It’s nice to come to a track I’ve done a few laps round in the past.
“We’ve been trying loads of different setting with the front forks and we’re making progress. The times aren’t bad but we still need to chip away tomorrow.”
Italian Masimo Roccoli topped the time sheets with an impressive 1:37.577 lap onboard his Yamaha and like Chris Walker is keen to forget the opening two rounds which were affected by crashes and engine failures and get his campaign back on track at Valencia.
Walkers’ team-mate Katsuaki Fujiwara was third with Brits Graeme Gowland and Craig Jones joint fourth with an identical time.
Graeme Gowland had to be taken to the medical centre after a big crash in the final minutes of the session and the resulting red-flags brought a premature end to Jones’s planned race run.
Jonathan Rea finished tenth quickest as he reacclimatised to the Valencia track. The last time he rode at the track was five years ago onboard a 125.
World Supersport Valencia test day one results:
1. M. ROCCOLI ITA Yamaha Lorenzini by Leoni Yamaha YZF-R6 1'37.577
2. C. WALKER GBR Kawasaki Gil Motor Sport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'37.872
3. K. FUJIWARA JPN Kawasaki Gil Motor Sport Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'37.882
4. G. GOWLAND GBR Benjan Racing Team Honda CBR600RR 1'37.972
5. C. JONES GBR Parkalgar Racing Team Honda CBR600RR 1'37.972
6. A. PITT AUS Hannspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR600RR 1'37.993
7. G. VIZZIELLO ITA Berry Racing Honda CBR600RR 1'38.060
8. G. NANNELLI ITA Hannspree Honda Althea Honda CBR600RR 1'38.184
9. B. VENEMAN NED Ressoftware Hoegee Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R600 1'38.199
10. J. REA GBR Hannspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR600RR 1'38.583
11. G. LEBLANC FRA CRS Grand Prix Honda CBR600RR 1'38.712
12. M. PRAIA POR Parkalgar Racing Team Honda CBR600RR 1'38.847
13. V. KALLIO FIN Benjan Racing Team Honda CBR600RR 1'39.083
14. M. GIANSANTI ITA Berry Racing Honda CBR600RR 1'39.499
15. W.DE ANGELIS RSM Intermoto Czech Honda CBR600RR 1'39.713
16. A. VINCENT FRA Gil Motor Sport - Solution F Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'39.901
17. D. DELL'OMO ITA HP Racing Team Honda CBR600RR 1'40.271
18. L. ALFONSI ITA PMS Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'40.396
19. L. NEDOG SLO CRS Grand Prix Honda CBR600RR 1'41.131