Portimao WSB: Troy Bayliss takes race one win
Bayliss took the lead on the first lap and immediately opened up a gap of several seconds on the following riders, none of which were able to catch him during the race.
On the first lap Bayliss’s team-mate Michel Fabrizio attempted to dive up the inside of Max Biaggi but collided with Biaggi, sending them both in to the gravel. Both riders were unhurt and Biaggi immediately vented his frustration on Fabrizio.
Behind Bayliss, four riders – Troy Corser, Jonathan Rea, Ruben Xaus and Cal Crutchlow – all battled for the remaining two podium places, with Crutchlow and Rea eventually getting the better of their elders.
On lap five the pressure from Troy Corser was too much for Rea and he ran wide, rejoining the battle in seventh behind Haga.
After a somewhat steady start Leon Haslam then made a push for the front and passed team-mate Crutchlow on lap nine, pushing Crutchlow wide allowing Xaus, Haga and Checa through.
Haslam was able to hold second place until lap 13 when Haga forced his way through, sending Haslam off the track and down to fifth place.
On lap 18 Haga had to retire due to a mechanical fault, handing second place in the championship to team-mate Troy Corser.
Behind the leading group, Rea, Lavilla, Haslam and Nieto were enjoying the scrap for fourth place with Rea eventually crossing the line at the front after Lavilla ran wide at the final corner.
1. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Xerox 1098 F08 22 laps
2. Carlos Checa ESP Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +2.207secs
3. Troy Corser AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF-R1 +6.972secs
4. Jonathan Rea GBR Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +15.228secs
5. Fonsi Nieto ESP Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 +16.126secs
6. Gregorio Lavilla ESP Ventaxia VK Honda CBR1000RR +18.152secs
7. Leon Haslam GBR HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR +18.939secs
8. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Hannspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +20.942secs
9. Ruben Xaus ESP Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098 RS08 +32.018secs
10. Regis Laconi FRA PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX-10R +32.871secs
11. Ayrton Badovini ITA Team Pedercini ZX-10R +36.778secs
12. Roberto Rolfo ITA Hannspree Honda Althea CBR1000RR +36.848secs
13. Shinichi Nakatomi JPN YZF Yamaha YZF-R1 +41.667secs
14. Karl Muggeridge AUS D.F. Racing CBR1000RR +41.806secs
15. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 +48.337secs
16. Sebastien Gimbert FRA Yamaha France Ipone GMT 94 YZF-R1 +50.295secs
17. Chris Walker GBR Ventaxia VK Honda CBR1000RR +50.840secs
18. Shuhei Aoyama JPN Alto Evolution Honda CBR1000RR +1min 05.928secs
19. Makoto Tamada JPN PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX-10R +1min 06.813secs
20. David Checa ESP Yamaha France Ipone GMT 94 YZF-R1 +1min 07.007secs
21. Luis Carreira POR Benimoto Suzuki GSX-R1000 K8 +1 lap
22. Cal Crutchlow GBR HM Plant Honda CBR1000RR 8 laps completed
23. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF-R1 17 laps completed
24. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing by Grifo’s 1098 RS08 14 laps completed
25. Tommy Bridewell GBR Team NB Suzuki GSX-R1000 12 laps completed
26. Luca Scassa ITA D.F. Racing CBR1000RR 10 laps completed
27. Christian Zaiser AUT Grillini PBR Team YZF-R1 89 laps completed
28. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Team Pedercini ZX-10R 7 laps completed
29. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 5 laps completed
30. Max Biaggi ITA Sterilgarda Go Eleven 1098 RS08 0 laps completed
31. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098 F08 0 laps completed