Brno WSB: Biaggi takes first win on Aprilia RSV4
Italian Max Biaggi has taken the first race win on the new Aprilia RSV4 at the first WSB race in Brno.
American Ben Spies was leading the race on the fourth lap, ahead of Xerox Ducati rider Michel Fabrizio and Biaggi, when Fabrizio attempted to pass Spies and collided with the American, putting them both out of the race.
The door was then left wide open for Biaggi to control the race from the front.
The Italian pulled out a commanding lead ahead of Hannspree Ten Kate Honda team-mates Carlos Checa and Jonathan Rea, who completed the podium.
BMW rider Troy Corser had a terrific race on the brand new BMW S1000RR. After leading the race for the first few laps, the experienced Australian eventually brought the German superbike home in fifth.
The same could not be said for his team-mate Ruben Xaus who crashed in spectacular fashion on the opening lap.
Brit Shane Byrne finished fourth. With fellow Brit Leon Haslam finishing eighth. Tom Sykes retired after eighteen laps.
1. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 20 laps
2. Carlos Checa ESP HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +3.631s
3. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000 +9.948s
4. Shane Byrne GBR Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R +12.952s
5. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR +14.599s
6. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R +19.359s
7. Leon Haslam GBR Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR +19.680s
8. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1198R +20.731s
9. Matthieu Lagrive FRA HANNspree Althea Honda CBR1000RR +21.923s
10. Makoto Tamada JPN Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R +27.807s
11. Fonsi Nieto ESP DFX Corse Ducati 1098R +35.263s
12. Broc Parkes AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-0R +36.535s
13. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR +38.586s
14. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 +40.061s
15. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR +40.280s
16. Luca Scassa ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +40.641s
17. David Salom ESP Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R +1min 10.529s
18. David Checa ESP Yamaha France GMT 94 YZF R1 +1min 14.874s
19. Roland Resch AUT TKR Switzerland Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1min 42.979s
20. Milos Cihak CZE ProRace Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 +1min 43.111s