Donington WSS: Crutchlow dominates to take win
Cal Crutchlow took pole position, race win and fastest lap at Donington Park and all whilst sporting a broken bone in his left ankle.
The Yamaha rider has been almost unstoppable this season and the man set to challenge him, Eugene Laverty on the Parkalgar Honda lost the rear at the Melbourne Loop on the second lap.
He managed to keep the bike running and rejoined the action in 22nd place racing through to fifth, but it was never going to be enough to catch back up with Crutchlow.
The only challenge for Crutchlow came from Joan Lascorz on the Kawaski Motocard.com machine early in the race but by the time the chequered flag came out he had gapped him by 5.391 seconds.
The final step of the podium went to Australian Garry McCoy on the ParkinGO Triumph. It has been a long time since he graced the podium at world level and he was trilled to be back.
British wildcards, James Westmoreland and Kev Coughlan finished in 11th and 13th places respectively. Both rode well to grab point scoring finishes at world level.
Race winner Crutchlow said: “It was nice to come home and race in front of British fans. I was hoping me and Eugene would be having a go but he fell off but still got fifth. That race was hard mentally as I had to keep my composure.
“I was thinking about the win but just wanted to get over the line. I got injured on the first lap of free practice but everyone has put a lot in. I’ve been thinking about the title since pre-season testing so I’m glad to get the win.”
McCoy said: “That has been a long time coming. I had hoped for a podium for a long time and now here it is. It was a great race and I started thinking about a podium but I made myself stop until I had got it.”
1. C.CRUTCHLOW GBR Yamaha 34’15.876
2. J. LASCORZ ESP Kawasaki +5.391
3. G.MCCOY AUS Triumph +14.918
4. K. SOFUOGLU TUR Honda +22.248
5. E. LAVERTY IRL Honda +37.054
6. B. VENEMAN NED Honda +39.079
7. G.VIZZIELLO ITA Honda +39.978
8. G.NANNELLI ITA Triumph +42.733
9. D. DELL’OMO ITA Honda +43.030
10. A. PITT AUS Honda +47.422
11. J. WESTMORLAND GBR Triumph +50.207
12. P. VOSTÁREK CZE Honda +50.474
13. K. COGHLAN GBR Yamaha +50.763
14. H.KENNAUGH RSA Yamaha +58.147
15. M.PIRRO ITA Yamaha +59.756
16. A. VOS NED Honda +1’16.315
17. F. GENTILE ITA Honda +1’26.650
18. M.SMRZ CZE Triumph +1’27.976
19. Y. GUERRA ESP Yamaha +1 Lap
20. M.LAVERTY GBR Honda +2 Laps
RET F. FORET FRA Yamaha 4 Laps
RET M.PRAIA POR Honda13 Laps
RET R.HARMS DEN Honda 16 Laps
RET R.MURESAN ROU Triumph 16 Laps
RET A. WEST AUS Honda17 Laps
RET J. GÜNTHER GER Honda 17 Laps
RET M.AITCHISON AUS Honda 19 Laps
RET K. FUJIWARA JPN Kawasaki 19 Laps
RET M.ROCCOLI ITA Honda 20 Laps