Portimao WSB test: Haslam on top in first timed session
Alstare Suzuki rider Leon Haslam got his 2010 winter testing programme off to a strong start with an impressive 1m 43.023s lap during the opening two hour 20 minutes session to put him at the top of the timesheet.
Haslam finished ahead of Ten Kate Honda man Jonathan Rea who was forced to sit out of the final minutes of the session after crashing.
The 22 year old suffered a damaged little finger and went to the Clinica Mobile for treatment, but is expected to return to action later today.
Italian Max Biaggi claimed third despite an early crash to finish ahead of fast starting Brit Cal Crutchlow on his factory Yamaha.
2009 runner-up Noriyuki Haga ended fifth ahead of team-mate Michel Fabrizio, who also crashed with James Toseland seventh.
Max Neukirchner crashed his Ten Kate Honda ending the session in 15th place.
1. Leon Haslam GBR Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1min 43.023s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 43.158s
3. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 43.364s
4. Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha WSB YZF R1 1min 43.530s
5. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1198 1min 43.628s
6. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1198 1min 43.885s
7. James Toseland GBR Yamaha WSB YZF R1 1min 44.028s
8. Leon Camier GBR Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 44.339s
9. Shane Byrne GBR Althea Ducati 1098R 1min 44.610s
10. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Alstare Suzuki GSX-R1000 1min 44.630s
11. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 44.756s
12. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1min 44.972s
13. Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 45.034s
14. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 1min 45.142s
15. Max Neukirchner GER Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 45.144s
16. Broc Parkes AUS Echo-CRS Honda CBR1000RR 1min 45.866s
17. Chris Vermeulen AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 1min 45.957s
18. Javier Fores ESP Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 48.616s
19. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA SCI Honda CBR1000RR 1min 48.848s
20. Roger Lee Hayden USA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 49.009s