Monza WSB: Laverty takes first WSB win
Factory Yamaha rider Eugene Laverty has taken his first victory in World Superbikes after dominating race one at Monza today.
Laverty took the lead on the second lap, but pole-setter Max Biaggi was right with him, the speed of the Yamaha no match for the Aprilia.
Laverty was able to keep Biaggi at bay on the brakes, and after eight laps Biaggi made a series of mistakes which gave Laverty plenty of breathing space and left the reigning champion battling for a podium with Leon Haslam and Marco Melandri.
Again the speed of the Aprilia got Biaggi out of trouble and he was able to pull away from Haslam and Melandri to finish second.
The battle for the final podium places left Laverty clear to pull away, eventually taking victory by almost two seconds.
Haslam finished third despite being forced off track at turn one twice, first by Biaggi and second by Melandri.
Championship leader Carlos Checa finished ninth after starting from 11th on the grid to keep his place at the top of the standings.
Jonathan Rea had a slow start to the race, but after catching and battling with Troy Corser towards the end of the race finished sixth, behind Michel Fabrizio.
1. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 31'09.584
2. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 31'11.159
3. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 31'12.662
4. Marco Melandri (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 31'12.839
5. Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) Suzuki GSX-R1000 31'21.396
6. Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 31'21.955
7. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 31'22.864
8. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 31'27.003
9. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 31'27.153
10. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 31'28.004
11. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 31'29.615
12. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 31'29.989
13. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) Kawasaki ZX-10R 31'36.277
14. Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 31'48.013
15. Ruben Xaus (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 31'49.748
16. Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 31'58.665
17. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 32'07.514
18. Fabrizio Lai (Echo Sport Racing Company) Honda CBR1000RR 32'12.623
RT. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 15'45.819
RT. Roberto Rolfo (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 10'46.955