Ten Kate Honda rider Broc Parkes secured the top spot in the opening qualifying session of the season at Phillip Island today. The 30 year old Australian posted a 1.34.532 second best on his penultimate lap of the day.
Former Moto2 rider Jules Cluzel was the sensation of the session after finishing in second spot onboard his PTR Honda. The French rider showed his credentials in testing earlier in the week, but upped his game further when the action started for real.
Brit Sam Lowes made a strong start to his world championship campaign to take third place just 0.032s behind provisional pole man, Parkes.
Former world champions Fabien Foret and Kenan Sofuoglu claimed fourth and fifth places respectively.
WSS rookie Martin Jessop ended his first qualifying at Phillip Island in 15th place.
Phillip Island - SUPERSPORT - Qualifying 1
1. Broc Parkes (Ten Kate Racing Products) Honda CBR600RR 1'34.532
2. Jules Cluzel (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'34.558
3. Sam Lowes (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'34.564
4. Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'34.791
5. Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki DeltaFin Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'34.807
6. Alex Baldolini (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 1'35.013
7. Balazs Nemeth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.296
8. Lucas Pesek (PRORACE) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.526
9. Ronan Quarmby (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.644
10. Mathew Scholtz (Bogdanka PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.669
11. Ondrej Jezek (SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.709
12. Sheridan Morais (Kawasaki DeltaFin Lorenzini) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'35.852
13. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 1'35.945
14. Massimo Roccoli (Bike Service - WTR TEN 10) Yamaha YZF R6 1'35.979
15. Martin Jessopp (Riders PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 1'36.044
16. Joshua Day (Team GOELEVEN) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'36.191
17. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 1'36.328
18. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 1'36.355
19. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 1'36.413
20. Pawel Szkopek (Bogdanka Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'36.458
21. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Power Team by Suriano) Triumph Daytona 675 1'36.498
22. Luca Marconi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 1'36.660
23. Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) Kawasaki ZX-6R 1'36.758
24. Jed Metcher (Rivamoto Junior Team) Yamaha YZF R6 1'36.999
25. Dino Lombardi (Team PATA by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 1'37.102
26. Andrea Antonelli (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 1'37.496
27. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Yamaha YZF R6 1'38.852
28. Thomas Caiani (KUJA Racing) Honda CBR600RR 1'39.895