Ayrton Badovini will start from pole position at a rain-struck Nurburgring for tomorrow's German rounds of the World Superbike Championship.
With heavy rain coming just minutes before the start of Superpole, the session was changed to wet format, scrapping the usual system in favour of two 20 minute sessions, with the top nine going through from the first session.
This led to a few surprises, including championship contented and early leader Eugene Laverty, Michael Fabrizio and Leon Camier all being ruled out of the second session. Laverty will start from 12th.
However, it was Badovini who emerged fastest from the first session, putting a fast lap at the flag to just beat out Tom Sykes.
The second session was led by Marco Melandri for most of it, with Tom Sykes briefly holding the lead. However, the BMW rider was able to retaliate, and Sykes ruled himself out of further action when he crashed unhurt while trying to topple Melandri.
It wasn't to be for the Italian, however, with a fast lap from Badovini in the torrential rain just as the flag came out gave him the pole position spot from his fellow Italian.
Loris Baz, who at times challenged for the pole, will head the second row, ahead of the Pata Honda pair of Jonathan Rea and Leon Haslam, both looking reinvigorated on their Honda machines.
Chaz Davies was seventh after the BMW rider walked away unhurt from a crash in the session, as did Jules Cluzel in 9th, while Sylvain Guintoli was eighth. Wildcard Max Neukirchner rounded off the top ten.
Nurburgring - FIM Superbike World Championship - Superpole 2 Wet
1. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 2'09.513
2. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'09.616
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'10.136
4. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'10.401
5. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 2'11.204
6. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 2'12.006
7. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 2'12.663
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'13.177
9. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2'14.454
10. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 2'15.975
11. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2'16.393
12. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'16.409
13. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'16.660
14. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2'18.775
15. Matej Smrz (Yamaha Motor Deutschland) Yamaha YZF R1 2'19.277
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'56.344
17. Markus Reiterberger (Vanzon-Remeha-BMW) BMW S1000 RR 1'56.362
18. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'56.451
19. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'57.482
20. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'58.409