Davide Giugliano was fast in winter testing for his Althea Racing Aprilia squad at Jerez and he started his first day of real competition in Spain fastest of all, in a hot afternoon that saw lap times end up slower than the cooler morning free practice sessions.
Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet) was second in qualifying and Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing) third.
A top day for Aprilia riders, who use Jerez as a test track, saw local rider and recent SBK convert Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia) and Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) pack in the top five, despite a crash from Guintoli early in the qualifying session.
The comeback ride from recently injured Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) was a heroic affair as he overcame weakness in his right foot and ended up sixth – one place ahead of clear championship leader Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team).
The lack of long straights at Jerez helped Lorenzo Lanzi (Mesaroli Transports Ducati 1098R) finish in the top eight, beating the best works Ducati Panigale of Checa’s stand-in rider Javier Fores, who was 11th out of 20 riders.
Chaz Davies scored 11th on the overnight grid, and Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) 15th.
Jerez - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 1
1. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.374
2. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.641
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.756
4. Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.782
5. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.906
6. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.936
7. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'43.114
8. Lorenzo Lanzi (Mesaroli Transports A.S.) Ducati 1098R 1'43.162
9. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.170
10. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'43.240
11. Xavi Fores (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'43.262
12. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'43.383
13. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'43.721
14. Broc Parkes (Monster Energy Yamaha - Yart) Yamaha YZF R1 1'43.786
15. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.821
16. Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'43.879
17. Michel Fabrizio (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'43.958
18. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.102
19. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'44.248
20. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'45.328