Chaz Davies has emerged top of a scrap between the title leaders at the Nurburgring, after red flags brought the second race to a premature end, as with the first race.
Davies was forced to work for the win, fighting all race long with teammate Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty. Davies led for most of the race, before Melandri was able to get through on lap 15 for the lead.
However, it was short-lived, and Davies responded on the next lap. Melandri was then pushed back to third after a move by the Northern Irishman, passing over the finish line before the red flags came out when Smrz crashed heavily and put down oil.
Race two winner Tom Sykes was fourth, after initially running with the winners before being dropped, with Sylvain Guintoli, second in the championship to Sykes, keeping his title alive in fifth.
Jonathan Rea and Leon Camier, who crashed heavily in race one, both failed to start race two. Rea has been confirmed with a broken femur, while Camier has broken two vertebrae.
Davies said afterwards "Exactly the same results as last year! We improved the bike from race one, and although the lap times were slower I felt better. it was hard to break away, and when the red flag came I was I the right place at the right time. Sometimes the ball bounces the right way, and it went in my favour."
1. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 34'36.933
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'37.065
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 34'37.299
4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 34'38.122
5. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'38.554
6. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'40.166
7. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 34'51.610
8. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 34'55.792
9. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale 34'59.058
10. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 35'00.761
11. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 35'07.377
12. Markus Reiterberger (Vanzon-Remeha-BMW) BMW S1000 RR 35'13.352
13. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 35'36.720
14. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 35'42.264
15. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 36'04.314
RT. Matej Smrz (Yamaha Motor Deutschland) Yamaha YZF R1 35'30.715
RT. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2'08.950