Aragon WSB: Rea sees off Davies for win
Kawasaki rider Jonathan Rea managed to defend a late challenge from fellow Brit Chaz Davies to take his fourth victory out of five races in 2015 and extend his lead at the top of the championship.
The Ulsterman got a good start from the second row of the grid, but it was his team-mate Tom Sykes who got the holeshot and steadily pulled away from the rest of the field.
Rea slowly moved closer to Sykes lap after lap, eventually taking the lead with just six laps remaining.
Davies quickly followed Rea into second place, and waited until the last lap to make his move going on to the long back straight.
Rea got the drive onto the back straight, but Davies again overtook the Kawasaki rider going into the final corner. Rea was able to take a tighter line and just outdrag his opponent to the line.
Leon Haslam was unable to replicate the pace that saw him secure pole position yesterday, finishing a distant fourth after a race long battle with team-mate Jordi Torres.
The Voltcom Crescent Suzuki team had a disastrous race one, with both Alex Lowes and Randy de Puniet pulling into the pits within the first five laps. Both riders returned to the track later in the race.
1. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 18 laps
2. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +0.051s
3. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R +4.977s
4. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 +15.088s
5. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 +15.290s
6. Xavi Fores ESP Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R +16.655s
7. Nico Terol ESP Althea Ducati 1199R +17.365s
8. Leandro Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R +25.527s
9. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR +34.464s
10. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR +43.013s
11. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R +43.627s
12. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R +44.893s
13. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R+47.663s
14. Christophe Ponsson LUX Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R +71.843s
15. Niccolo Canepa ITA Team Hero EBR 1190RX +75.919s