APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017 - 2019) Review

At a glance

Owners' reliability rating: 4.9 out of 5 (4.9/5)
Annual servicing cost: £460
Power: 175 bhp
Seat height: Tall (33.5 in / 850 mm)
Weight: Medium (411 lbs / 186 kg)

Prices

New N/A
Used £11,000 - £14,000

Overall rating

Next up: Ride & brakes
5 out of 5 (5/5)

The new Tuono has all the power and torque you will ever need, and the chassis is class leading, both on the road and track alike. It looks and sounds amazing, has character and soul – it’s our 2017 super naked bike of the year.

Ride quality & brakes

Next up: Engine
5 out of 5 (5/5)

Aprilia have updated the front end with lighter 43mm Ohlins forks, bigger 330mm discs and a Brembo radial master cylinder, while the rear shock has received tweaks. The new front end and chassis are class leading.

The suspension doesn’t rattle your teeth out over bumpy B roads nor does it sit like a well-trained dog when you dial in the immense torque. It’s hugely impressive, I constantly asked questions of the chassis and it always came back with the perfect answer.

Next up: Reliability
5 out of 5 (5/5)

The V4, 1077cc is now Euro4 compliant and Aprilia haven’t sacrificed any power or torque. However, they have been forced to bolt on a bigger exhaust with a larger catalytical converter, which has added an extra 2.5kg. Don’t worry, it still sounds intoxicating and still produces 175bhp, while the redline has crept 500rpm higher.

Reliability & build quality

Next up: Value
5 out of 5 (5/5)

The quality of the components used are high, Aprilia have added a new full colour TFT dash with Bluetooth connectivity, plus new switchgear – there is an exclusive feel to the Tuono.

Value vs rivals

Next up: Equipment
4 out of 5 (4/5)

At just over £15,999 the Tuono is the most expensive bike in the super naked segment, even more than Ducati’s Monster R and KTM’s Super Duke R.

5 out of 5 (5/5)

The electronics package now incorporates a pitch sensor (lean and yaw previously). A new autoblipper/quickshifter takes care of shifting, while a pit lane limiter (first gear only) and cruise control have been added as standard.

As before, it has eight stage traction control, which can be changed on the move and the same three rider modes (Sport , Track and Race), wheelie control and lauch control and three levels of ABS intervention, including one that switches off the cornering ABS at the front and all ABS at the rear.

Specs

Top speed & performance

1/4 mile acceleration 10.5 secs

Model history & versions

Aprilia Tuono V4

Owners' reviews for the APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017 - 2019)

8 owners have reviewed their APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017 - 2019) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017 - 2019)

Summary of owners' reviews

Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5 (4.9/5)
Ride quality & brakes: 5 out of 5 (5/5)
Engine: 5 out of 5 (5/5)
Reliability & build quality: 4.9 out of 5 (4.9/5)
Value vs rivals: 4.2 out of 5 (4.2/5)
Equipment: 5 out of 5 (5/5)
Annual servicing cost: £460
4 out of 5 You wont be disapointed.
17 June 2020 by Tripnut

Version: Dark Thunder

Annual servicing cost: £1,000

Great bike let down a bit by little details when the main parts are top quality. Frame & swinging arm = perfect Suspension = top quality Engine = WOW, that sound Comfort = a revelation after an R1 (I'm 6') Lights = outdated crap with no depth and less light on high beam than low. Switchgear = probably off a cheap Piaggio scooter or moped.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Original brake pads were recalled, Aprilia sent a letter saying that if the pads delaminated it would be "inconvenient". Brakes are a brick wall but bite too hard on initial application and a bit lacking in feel compared to 2009 R1. First bike I owned with Brembos and not a fan. Ride quality and control is sublime if ridden fast and still very good if pottering about, seat is also well padded and I get off the bike after a two hour ride feeling fine.

That sound!! It's like an angry psycho ripping big sheets of paper. So far reliable and has enough power but more would be better always ;-) Compared to Streetfighter V4 the power is smoother and more reliable making it easier to ride fast.

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

Only done 3000 miles so reliability is unknown. Switchgear is rubbish and doesn't feel like it will last Mattel would have rejected it.

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

Very cheap for what you get if you buy last years model at discounted price. As much equipment as R1M or Panigale V4 but £7k cheaper than R1M and £11k less than Panigale Just a little less power and more comfortable. Completely mileage & use dependant. I fill to the brim at the same time as my brother on his Panigale V4S and next fill up I always take 2 litres more than him but fuel lights come on at the same time. First set of tires gone in 2500 miles and £210 to replace with SC 200/60 which improve handling and grip as though this bike was designed for them.

Lots of stuff you can adjust that you only need to adjust once for the road and once for the track. Get the optional cheap MM kit (standard on RSV4 go figure) which is easy to fit and you can have your phone adjust the suspension and anti wheelie automatically on track on a per corner basis like Yams R1M. Also works your phone etc, not sure why Piaggio think this should be an option on road focused Tuono and essential on the track focused RSV4. Down side is that every time you touch the switchgear you are reminded that this is no premium motorcycle, no feel for the center of the switches and the tiny joystick isn't going to last long using it with gloves, every other manufacturer does this better. Lights are rubbish, 55w halogen bulbs in 2020!! High beam only one center lamp and low beam two outer makes no sense and none of the lights give confidence in the dark.

Buying experience: Good enough, not impressed with first service because brakes needed bleeding after. Will service myself in future. Bought from large multi franchise dealer in Wales because it was cheap and the service was OK but mechanics not so great.

5 out of 5 Best bike out there for pure grin factor
29 April 2020 by Fahad

Year: 2019

This bike is perfection. Prior to this I have had or ridden a large number of bikes both on Road and on track and also racing - Japanese in-line and cross plane 4’s, Ducati twins, KTM SD 1290, Triumph Speed triples....I only test rode one on a whim and totally fell in love. The engine, the brakes, suspension and handling and of course the soundtrack are just perfect, it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

The electronic Öhlins are simply stunning, the bike falls into corners so well and you can adjust things like acceleration support so the bike doesn’t dip so much at the rear under hard acceleration or is firmer at the front when hard on the brakes only. I also race a little 140cc supermoto which you can literally throw around and my friends always joke about me getting on the bigger bike after and it feeling heavy. However the Aprilia handles so well that the transition is not huge at all and I’m always left impressed. The braking power is also jaw dropping and far better than any bike I’ve ever ridden including my old race bike - a ‘15 R1 with the ABS removed and braided lines, sintered pads etc. These brakes are waaayyyy more powerful. I’m pretty sure if I snatched at them in an emergency I’d get launched to the moon over the front of the bike.

Perfection. No other engine comes close and I’ve tried them all. The sheer torque and acceleration is astounding and I get stiff hip flexors just trying to grip the tank with my legs when pinning it. And it’s throughout the Rev range too, the bike just keeps pulling like a bullet train until you run out of road or (usually first) balls. The torque is ferocious in every gear, even when pinning it in 6th at 130 mph (on track of course) you still get little front wheel wobbles as it rises and goes light under the brutal acceleration. And of course who can forget that amazing V4 engine noise. It is simply addictive and above 5k rpm when the exhaust valves open the roar is heaven. Makes you wind the power on all the time just to hear it. Mine came free with the Akrapovic end can and it sounds awesome. To put this bike into context I rode to a BMW dealership on it to test ride the new ‘19 S1000RR to see what the fuss was all about and I was so disappointed and underwhelmed by the BMW - so much lacking in torque, ferocious acceleration and handling compared to my Tuono. I was so glad to be back on my Aprilia and rode home with a massive smile on my face.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

No issues with the bike whatsoever, quality of components is top notch.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

In line with most other manufacturer and dealer service prices really.

The cruise control is great, the wheelie and traction control on the handle bars a god send especially when you come across soiled country lanes or wet roads and you just whack up the traction a few notches with your thumb on the move. One of the best things about the bike is the quick shifter / blipper. It is flawless under hard acceleration and braking and sounds amazing as it matches / blips the revs on the downshifts and sounds straight from MotoGP. It’s better than the system I had on my race R1 and also my speed triple which was in itself a very good system. I still use my clutch on first to second or when doing slow acceleration and lazy gear changes as the system is not really designed for that and can miss upshifts at low rpm, however it is faultless at doing its job under hard acceleration and is like a hot knife through butter.

Buying experience: Dealer experience through Piaggio Swansea not great IMO as it was just one sales rep dealing with the whole process and things got forgotten / missed in the lead up to me picking the bike up e.g, they realised that the end can I was due to have was out of stock on the day I was meant to be picking the bike up so had to go back and have it done on the first service.

5 out of 5 Early days, but looking good so far
29 February 2020 by Tony near Brands Hatch

Year: 2019

Good build quality, easy to work on- a few special tools needed but nothing you couldn't make yourself if you have a small lathe. Valve clearances need keeping an eye on, if you're a competent mechanic, no bother, but otherwise full service with clearances adjusted was quoted at 800 GBP- a bit salty for me, so I'll be doing my own servicing, which will probably invalidate the 2 year warranty. That aside, it rides very well, getting used to all of the electronics is taking a while, and things like setting the cruise control requires finesse on the control stick- a light press as opposed to a hard press, is not easy with gloves on on a bumpy road. Best feature? I fell for the full Titanium Akra it came with, it saves a lot of weight and sounds great, especially with the baffle out and a V4r freer-flowing air filter fitted. Worse bit? Not really a worse bit, but why are some features enabled on the fly, and others can only be reset at a standstill?

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

I've never seen the point to electronic controls, and previous bikes have always left me to judge how to ride it, how much power you can get to the tyre, and so I never (until now) bothers chasing control electronics. But you read the reviews of this and other bikes, and I figured, if I was going to get some electronics I might as well have everything, so the full-fat Factory it was. Brakes are very effective, although on mine the lever felt a little too soft- still capable of locking the front at any speed, if the ABS would allow it, but I'm able to pull the lever back to the bar when stationary, with a hefty squeeze. I expect it just needs a bleed and new fluid, which I'll get sorted. On my previous bike I fitted a Brembo 18/20 adjustable master cylinder, I could have swapped it over the Tuono but there seems no point- it already has a very well-matched Brembo MC, so I'll leave that on the previous bike for the new owner who I sell it.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

So far so good, but small annoying details let it down a little- for instance, the washers under the heads of the front mudguard mounting screws are not stainless and have rusted. Easy to change, but equally easy to have got right in the first place. (Honda wouldn't mess up the tiny details like this). The screws are fine, the mudguard is plastic (Carbon on the 2020, I think) but why use cheap washers?

Value vs rivals 3 out of 5

I haven't had any services done as I am competent to do all of the work myself. But the quote I had ( East Grinstead) was higher than I thought it needed. But I'm not knocking the workshop, you pay for expertise and special tools, etc; everyone has to earn living- and maybe, when I get round to servicing my own bike, I'll find out why that price attached- it might be more fiddly than it looks.

It's got more than I need, at the moment. I love that "new bike" feeling, when at first it's ever so slightly scary, stuff happens faster than you're used to, and you have to concentrate. Then, after a few months, you're back to noticing the wait, while waiting for revs to pick up in each gear, with nothing to do except hang on. It's at that point I usually start tuning and making it lighter, but I'm not sure that I'll get to than point with the Tuono- we'll see. I've added a few parts- see below. The aero wings on the tail look good, but make it a pain to fit luggage. I don't want to damage the paint, so I'm looking at the Hepco and Becker luggage rack, which will make fitting a tailback easy. You can also get pannier fitting kits, but I think I'll get enough into a tailback and rucksack for weekends away. If I needed to put a tent on the back as well it looks trickier.

Buying experience: I picked up an ex-demo from Colchester Kawasaki with 1k miles- I let someone else run it in for me! The first service was done, and it came with the Akra Ti full system, so the price of 14K wasn't too bad- the system retails at 2K by itself. All I've done since buying it is fit crash protection (R+G), a lithium battery, front mudguard extender, rad guards and a feel-flowing air filter- I'll leave it alone for now, and ride it on a few shakedown weekends away. This year I have weekends booked to Devon, Yorkshire, Scotland, NI and Wales, and after those trips I'll decide what else I need to do to it. I might even clean this one occasionally....

29 December 2019 by Nathan

5 out of 5 Mr
28 September 2019 by Gez

Year: 2017

Annual servicing cost: £78

The quality of fit and finish is second to non paint is deep fasteners top quality just exudes quality for such a small company even cable ties are just finished with logos and some bolt heads even have logo or racing embossed amazing

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Top suspension and brakes not as wooden as many Japanese ABS systems feel

Full of character and low and mid range stomp and then still pulls on strong right to limit ! Wind blast only thing that holds it back at the very top end

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

So far so reliable no hiccups and servicing an absolute doddle rear wheel removal etc easier than most jap bikes I’ve owned

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

That is using fully synthetic oil genuine oil filter and air filter

As all the bells and whistles needed and most can be altered on the fly and doesn’t reset back to default when stopped and restarting the ride like some euro and Japanese’s bikes do

Buying experience: Dealers although not loads of them always very helpful and not as dear as you would imagine some parts ridiculous but some bizarrely cheap

5 out of 5 Still reigning top super naked
27 July 2018 by ChrisW

Year: 2018

Annual servicing cost: £148

Best features; engine, suspension, quick shifter, electronics. No bad features. Would definitely recommend to experienced riders .

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Longest trip 200 miles no problems, seat comfy, excellent all round bike, but best when opened up. It loves cornering, the faster, the better.

The engine was the main reason for purchasing the bike. The V4 is superb.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

Owned for 3 months now, no problems excellent build quality.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

Love the quick shifter as it's so smooth. Pirelli super corsa’s a great tyre for cornering.

Buying experience: Bought new from dealer, list price £15,994.00 got really good price on part ex and they threw in an alarm and fitting worth £240.00.

5 out of 5 17 Factory (google for pics :)
06 December 2017 by Lauder

Version: 1100 Factory the 1100 only arrived late 2015 the v4 1000 was from 2011 no Factory model until the 1100 late 2015 also the Images here are of the RR not the factory and most of the specs are wrong ie top speed 155 seat height 850

Year: 2017

Annual servicing cost: £600

I love these bikes! On my third TV4, 2nd Factory the 16 was great the latest 17 with the latest Brembo and Ohlins is the shizzle, one of the best feeling front ends out there. Happy plodding round town or ripping it up on the track more power than most of us mere mortals will ever need, oodles of torque everywhere happy in 4th gear from 30-150 one hell of a twist and go which it pretty much is with the blipper you only need to use the clutch to pull away. Best of all is the V4 soundtrack utterly addictive and best with a non stock can!

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

The 17 spec is just sublime super comfy seat and nice upright position 600 miles a day with no problems yo cant go much over a 100 miles without having to stop for fuel so you never get numb bum. Latest Ohlins soak up our kak potholes and lumpy roads without much fuss always feeling composed and settled, as flickable as a 90`s 400 and the Brembos are astounding. I`ve had a couple of real emergency stop situations and pulled up way before my expected destination.

V4 Oomph! Another great feature the new Euro 4 V4 engine still punting out 175 ponies with an exhaust as big as your average suitcase add an Akra, race map high flow air and watch the dyno record 167 @ the wheel est 190 @ the crank. Just pulls and pulls will beat almost anything from the line and with the QS and the blipper its a race bike for the road, best to get her on track though as nailing it past 3rd gear will quickly see you lose your license !

3 bikes in 3 years over 20,000 miles without any issues

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

Servicing and Tyres (200 rear not 190 as stated ) are expensive expect about £600 every 6 months of riding (around 6k miles) You wouldn`t complain about the cost of servicing a Ferrari and this thing will destroy most of them off the line!

Got all the gadgets TFT screen cornering ABS etc etc but still no fuel gauge c`mon Aprilia.

Buying experience: Got a great price trading in my 16 against the new one. Great dealer here in Scotland.