Ad closing in seconds....

APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017-2019) Review

Published: 04 December 2017

Updated: 05 December 2019

Aprilia have created a class leading, outstanding bike, which now complies to Euro4 regulations

APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY  (2017-2019)

The new Tuono has all the power and torque you will ever need, and the chassis is class leading, both on the road and track alike. It looks and sounds amazing, has character and soul – it’s our 2017 super naked bike of the year.

Aprilia have updated the front end with lighter 43mm Ohlins forks, bigger 330mm discs and a Brembo radial master cylinder, while the rear shock has received tweaks. The new front end and chassis are class leading.

The suspension doesn’t rattle your teeth out over bumpy B roads nor does it sit like a well-trained dog when you dial in the immense torque. It’s hugely impressive, I constantly asked questions of the chassis and it always came back with the perfect answer.

The V4, 1077cc is now Euro4 compliant and Aprilia haven’t sacrificed any power or torque. However, they have been forced to bolt on a bigger exhaust with a larger catalytical converter, which has added an extra 2.5kg. Don’t worry, it still sounds intoxicating and still produces 175bhp, while the redline has crept 500rpm higher.

The quality of the components used are high, Aprilia have added a new full colour TFT dash with Bluetooth connectivity, plus new switchgear – there is an exclusive feel to the Tuono.

At just over £15,999 the Tuono is the most expensive bike in the super naked segment, even more than Ducati’s Monster R and KTM’s Super Duke R.

The electronics package now incorporates a pitch sensor (lean and yaw previously). A new autoblipper/quickshifter takes care of shifting, while a pit lane limiter (first gear only) and cruise control have been added as standard.

As before, it has eight stage traction control, which can be changed on the move and the same three rider modes (Sport , Track and Race), wheelie control and lauch control and three levels of ABS intervention, including one that switches off the cornering ABS at the front and all ABS at the rear.

Year introduced 2017
Front tyre size 120/70x17
Rear tyre size 190/55x17

None

Aprilia Tuono V4

6 owners have reviewed their APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017-2019) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your APRILIA TUONO V4 1100 FACTORY (2017-2019)

Early days, but looking good so far

29 February 2020 by Tony near Brands Hatch

Good build quality, easy to work on- a few special tools needed but nothing you couldn't make yourself if you have a small lathe. Valve clearances need keeping an eye on, if you're a competent mechanic, no bother, but otherwise full service with clearances adjusted was quoted at 800 GBP- a bit salty for me, so I'll be doing my own servicing, which will probably invalidate the 2 year warranty. That aside, it rides very well, getting used to all of the electronics is taking a while, and things like setting the cruise control requires finesse on the control stick- a light press as opposed to a hard press, is not easy with gloves on on a bumpy road. Best feature? I fell for the full Titanium Akra it came with, it saves a lot of weight and sounds great, especially with the baffle out and a V4r freer-flowing air filter fitted. Worse bit? Not really a worse bit, but why are some features enabled on the fly, and others can only be reset at a standstill?

I've never seen the point to electronic controls, and previous bikes have always left me to judge how to ride it, how much power you can get to the tyre, and so I never (until now) bothers chasing control electronics. But you read the reviews of this and other bikes, and I figured, if I was going to get some electronics I might as well have everything, so the full-fat Factory it was. Brakes are very effective, although on mine the lever felt a little too soft- still capable of locking the front at any speed, if the ABS would allow it, but I'm able to pull the lever back to the bar when stationary, with a hefty squeeze. I expect it just needs a bleed and new fluid, which I'll get sorted. On my previous bike I fitted a Brembo 18/20 adjustable master cylinder, I could have swapped it over the Tuono but there seems no point- it already has a very well-matched Brembo MC, so I'll leave that on the previous bike for the new owner who I sell it.
So far so good, but small annoying details let it down a little- for instance, the washers under the heads of the front mudguard mounting screws are not stainless and have rusted. Easy to change, but equally easy to have got right in the first place. (Honda wouldn't mess up the tiny details like this). The screws are fine, the mudguard is plastic (Carbon on the 2020, I think) but why use cheap washers?
I haven't had any services done as I am competent to do all of the work myself. But the quote I had ( East Grinstead) was higher than I thought it needed. But I'm not knocking the workshop, you pay for expertise and special tools, etc; everyone has to earn living- and maybe, when I get round to servicing my own bike, I'll find out why that price attached- it might be more fiddly than it looks.
It's got more than I need, at the moment. I love that "new bike" feeling, when at first it's ever so slightly scary, stuff happens faster than you're used to, and you have to concentrate. Then, after a few months, you're back to noticing the wait, while waiting for revs to pick up in each gear, with nothing to do except hang on. It's at that point I usually start tuning and making it lighter, but I'm not sure that I'll get to than point with the Tuono- we'll see. I've added a few parts- see below. The aero wings on the tail look good, but make it a pain to fit luggage. I don't want to damage the paint, so I'm looking at the Hepco and Becker luggage rack, which will make fitting a tailback easy. You can also get pannier fitting kits, but I think I'll get enough into a tailback and rucksack for weekends away. If I needed to put a tent on the back as well it looks trickier.

I picked up an ex-demo from Colchester Kawasaki with 1k miles- I let someone else run it in for me! The first service was done, and it came with the Akra Ti full system, so the price of 14K wasn't too bad- the system retails at 2K by itself. All I've done since buying it is fit crash protection (R+G), a lithium battery, front mudguard extender, rad guards and a feel-flowing air filter- I'll leave it alone for now, and ride it on a few shakedown weekends away. This year I have weekends booked to Devon, Yorkshire, Scotland, NI and Wales, and after those trips I'll decide what else I need to do to it. I might even clean this one occasionally....

29 December 2019 by Nathan

Best features engine and handling worse engine temperature in traffic

I paid £12999.00p fantastic deal from m and p

29 December 2019 by Nathan

Best features engine and handling worse engine temperature in traffic

I paid £12999.00p fantastic deal from m and p

Mr

28 September 2019 by Gez

The quality of fit and finish is second to non paint is deep fasteners top quality just exudes quality for such a small company even cable ties are just finished with logos and some bolt heads even have logo or racing embossed amazing

Top suspension and brakes not as wooden as many Japanese ABS systems feel
Full of character and low and mid range stomp and then still pulls on strong right to limit ! Wind blast only thing that holds it back at the very top end
So far so reliable no hiccups and servicing an absolute doddle rear wheel removal etc easier than most jap bikes I’ve owned
That is using fully synthetic oil genuine oil filter and air filter
As all the bells and whistles needed and most can be altered on the fly and doesn’t reset back to default when stopped and restarting the ride like some euro and Japanese’s bikes do

Dealers although not loads of them always very helpful and not as dear as you would imagine some parts ridiculous but some bizarrely cheap

Still reigning top super naked

27 July 2018 by ChrisW

Best features; engine, suspension, quick shifter, electronics. No bad features. Would definitely recommend to experienced riders .

Longest trip 200 miles no problems, seat comfy, excellent all round bike, but best when opened up. It loves cornering, the faster, the better.
The engine was the main reason for purchasing the bike. The V4 is superb.
Owned for 3 months now, no problems excellent build quality.
Love the quick shifter as it's so smooth. Pirelli super corsa’s a great tyre for cornering.

Bought new from dealer, list price £15,994.00 got really good price on part ex and they threw in an alarm and fitting worth £240.00.

17 Factory (google for pics :)

06 December 2017 by Lauder

I love these bikes! On my third TV4, 2nd Factory the 16 was great the latest 17 with the latest Brembo and Ohlins is the shizzle, one of the best feeling front ends out there. Happy plodding round town or ripping it up on the track more power than most of us mere mortals will ever need, oodles of torque everywhere happy in 4th gear from 30-150 one hell of a twist and go which it pretty much is with the blipper you only need to use the clutch to pull away. Best of all is the V4 soundtrack utterly addictive and best with a non stock can!

The 17 spec is just sublime super comfy seat and nice upright position 600 miles a day with no problems yo cant go much over a 100 miles without having to stop for fuel so you never get numb bum. Latest Ohlins soak up our kak potholes and lumpy roads without much fuss always feeling composed and settled, as flickable as a 90`s 400 and the Brembos are astounding. I`ve had a couple of real emergency stop situations and pulled up way before my expected destination.
V4 Oomph! Another great feature the new Euro 4 V4 engine still punting out 175 ponies with an exhaust as big as your average suitcase add an Akra, race map high flow air and watch the dyno record 167 @ the wheel est 190 @ the crank. Just pulls and pulls will beat almost anything from the line and with the QS and the blipper its a race bike for the road, best to get her on track though as nailing it past 3rd gear will quickly see you lose your license !
3 bikes in 3 years over 20,000 miles without any issues
Servicing and Tyres (200 rear not 190 as stated ) are expensive expect about £600 every 6 months of riding (around 6k miles) You wouldn`t complain about the cost of servicing a Ferrari and this thing will destroy most of them off the line!
Got all the gadgets TFT screen cornering ABS etc etc but still no fuel gauge c`mon Aprilia.

Got a great price trading in my 16 against the new one. Great dealer here in Scotland.

Bauer Media

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085, Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141
Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6EA H Bauer Publishing,
Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Academic House, 24-28 Oval Road, London, NW1 7DT.
All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01
H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA (Ref No. 845898)