HONDA CBF600 (2004-2007) Review

Published: 23 November 2006

"A supremely competent motorcycle but lordy, is it dull!"

Honda CBF600 motorcycle review - Riding

"A supremely competent motorcycle but lordy, is it dull!"

The Honda CBF600 is undoubtedly a supremely competent motorcycle but lordy, is it dull! Bulky and heavy for a 600cc motorcycle, the Honda CBF600 lacks any real “go”, despite being well designed and built. It’s a good, safe choice for a new biker but, for those with more experience, it’s unlikely to satiate your need for a rush. Once you’ve mastered the basics, the Honda CBF600 is unlikely to inspire you with passion. It really is a bit soulless.

The motorcycle is comfortable enough with it’s upright, “in the bike” seating position. At lower speeds you can really feel the weight of the Honda CBF600 whilst on the move. The handling is stable but unexciting, but that’s good news for novice bikers. The suspension is a bit wallowy, though. The fairing on the Honda CBF600S works well, making motorway riding quite tolerable, and the gearbox is sound.

The Honda CBF600's engine is taken out of the Honda CB600F Hornet, so you’d expect more from this “retuned” (read detuned) engine. Whilst the power band is broad and it can shift well enough, there’s a distinct absence of any real go. Overtakes are hard work, leaping off from the lights doesn’t really happen and even at higher speeds, the Honda CBF600 is wheezing around over 7500rpm.

The Honda CBF600's finish is still very good, despite reports the paint isn’t up to the quality of previous Honda motorcycles. Everything has its place and works well: you feel you’re riding a well-built motorcycle and you are. Top notch reliability for the ex-CBR/ex-Hornet engine, too.

The Honda CBF600, especially with ABS (about £300 extra) is pretty pricey compared to its counterparts. You can pick up a Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, a Suzuki SV650 or a new Kawasaki ER-6 for less, whilst a Honda CB600F Hornet costs roughly the same: all of which offer the benefits of “first big bike” practicality but with the (staying) power to keep you interested after you’ve left the first, nervous flushes of biking behind you. Find a Honda CBF600 for sale.

Insurance group: 11 of 17 – compare motorcycle insurance quotes now.

The Honda CBF600's adjustable seat and bars come in handy, the dash is littered with useful functions, the mirrors work well: it’s all there. A lack of decent bungee points lets it down as a touring motorcycle, but there’s ample room for two if you’re taking a pillion. There are plenty of extras on offer for the Honda CBF600, including heated grips, luggage and a fly screen. A centre stand is standard.

28 owners have reviewed their HONDA CBF600 (2004-2007) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your HONDA CBF600 (2004-2007)

Very reliable!

04 July 2018 by Adam

very practical but dull, a reliable workhorse Read more

not that exiting to ride, brakes do their job well
strong engine that will last forever, good performance to have a little fun.
built well and very strong, engine has over 120,000 miles so yeah its reliable it will last forever.
not the best on fuel but not expensive
it has what you need, thats it.

Ultimate all rounder for a 600cc bike.

27 April 2018 by RG

5 stars from 5 for a 600cc bike of that era. An ultimate all rounder. Great around town,great for touring even with a passenger. 77 hp is enough for commuting and for of the town touring. Its comfortable enough without being too heavy.There are other... Read more 600cc similar bikes,but cbf doesn't feel like a small bike,me and my lady combined probably 170kg,and this bike is perfect for riding for us together.

Probably could be 80 or 85 hp,like some of the bandits and ect. But 77hp is enough,low down torque is great,not a problem to start riding from 3rd gear if you choose to :).Its carbureted but its not a problem,not much trouble fixing if something goes wrong.
I doubt that there are any model of any maker that is completely with out any problems from time to time. But its a honda,and so its as reliable as you can hope for in real world everyday use.
Everything you need from a 2004 600cc bike.No abs as in some other bikes of that time,still as good as you can get.

Pink cbf

12 March 2018 by Pink66

Bike sounds very smooth and very easy to ride. It's predictable and feels safe. I have owned for 2 years and I still like it. It can go if you want to push it too easy over 100. Read more

Smooth and torquey excellent gearbox

Private

I'm happy!!

24 July 2016 by Loopy

Totally agree... Perfect first bike! Would recommend for newbie. Read more

I learnt to ride this year (I'm 56) and this was recommended to me by the dealer- probably knew he'd have a job selling it to a more experienced rider - but my gain! ABS has been useful.. Rounding bend on local A road to find bin lorry in the way. Did my first Poole Quay run last week and was able to keep up with assortment of larger bikes, including a Ducati. The only thing holding me back was my inexperience, but I'm working on it!
Not knowledgeable enough to comment in detail about performance. All I can say is that I find it more than responsive enough for me. Have noticed that there is vibration once up to 70 which makes my hands a bit numb after 40 minutes or so, but smooth at 60, which is the limit in my area anyway.
Owned 3months so far, absolutely no problems. Came with after market screen and full set of givi boxes (v. useful as I use it for commuting), which do catch the wind a bit, but it is a reassuringly stable bike.
Not yet serviced. I seem to be getting about 12-14m/l. Always put 97 petrol in -my last old suzuki hated anything else -so very pleased with that.
I've got the manual choke, which is a pain. I wish I had a gear indicator!! Seat height good for me (5'7") and there is enough room under pillion for disc lock and tools. The boxes and fairing do cause a bit of buffeting in wind, but it is so well balanced that I have not felt uneasy, even with my lack of experience.

Bought from dealer. £2795, 22K miles. I had a usb socket fitted behind screen and heated grips which added another £100.

A2 first bike, never let me down but not much else

19 April 2016 by Jaimie

I hate to re-tread what has already been said, but the MCN review hits it pretty well. This is my first big bike since I've got my A2 license (its restricted I swear) but even with my lack of experience on bigger bikes I found it very easy to attune... Read more to. I did manage to drop it on my second ride as the weight is held high, which I wasn't used to, but 3000 miles later in all weather I've never had a wobble on it.

I'm 6'1 and the riding position is comfortable as anything. I live in Yorkshire and have taken trips down the M1 to see relatives in Reading and had a perfectly comfortable time on the bike. The seating position is high and gives clear visibility (So high however I've had to get a GIVI touring screen for it) and no weight is carried on your wrists at all while riding, so it was just a matter of walking off leg and arse cramps every 2 hours or so.
This is really where the bike falls down. Reliable as it is, the engine really lacks any proper go. Even though I'm coming off a 125 and this is my first big bike, it still feels sluggish. It can be made to go fast, but you really have to wring its neck and ride everywhere in 6000rpm if you want to race between red lights.
Engine is a solid lump thats never let me down. Only giving it 4 stars as I had to change one of the headlight bulbs a while ago, and once I'd unscrewed the four fairing bolts to get at the headlamp all 4 of the bolts rounded. Not to pleased, had to tap and die the nuts as they were welded to the frame.
Only had for 4 months, in that time its needed no major work at all. Gets over 200 miles to a tank as well.
Clear, if basic. I'm happy they've got an ABS indicator, but I'd prefer a fuel gauge. The fuel warning lamp is good and clear, but often erratic with its readings. I'm not sure how its set up, but I have found if the lights on if you head up a steep uphill it will turn off again.

25k miles with 2 lady owners. The guy was advertising at £2190 with 3 months MOT, I talked him down to £2100 with an MOT (its my first big bike my patter isn't great. I still think I got a pretty good deal, the shop was largely full of adventure bikes, the CBF looked a little lost next to BMW GS' and V stroms. I guess they just wanted rid of the sensible bike.

02 April 2016 by Fly

I dont like choke, no fuel indicator. Bike is simple and very good for people who dont wont have any problems normaly if bike is buy from sombody who take good care of bike. Sory for my bad english Read more

Good bike but not special

26 March 2016 by Steven

Great first bike but after 1 year I'm really fed up with it. It's a great touring/commuter bike but if your looking for fun in the twisty corners then this bike isn't for you, it's to bulky and heavy and really needs to loose 50kgs. Read more

Again it's way to heavy & the suspension seems to find bumps were there isn't any, brakes are great. Taking a pillion was no big deal didn't upset the handling 1 bit
Fantastic engine that doesn't stop pulling, the bike will sit at 70 80 90mph all day long and never grumble. Best part of the bike by far
Can't complain it's a solid bike that never missed a beat, starts first time every time.
No fuel gauge no gear gauge it's the bare minimum im afraid

Cracking first bike!

25 August 2015 by Dave D

Great bike. I have owned for 11 months and ridden approx. 8000 miles, including commuting, a long Scotland trip and weekend rides. As a first bike it has been great. Only real downside is for comfort on long day rides. I find after a day on it, I... Read more really need a break!

Rear a lot less sharp than those found on the bike I learnt on (SV650)
Probably not as exciting as others, but smooth and flexible. Great for a newbie.
Changed a few bits but only for regular maintenance. Speedo stopped working after just after purchase but only through build up of 'gunk' by the front sprocket!
Not many toys! Needs electric choke which was fitted on 2008 model.

Totally happy

13 July 2015 by Ian Collings

No real faults for me, does exactly what I want it to and more Read more

Agree with the needing force to turn, but I put this down to my tyres being a bit flattened off. Brakes, excellent, can't fault them, especially the combined braking
Plenty of power for me, after coming from a YBR 125 after not owning a big bike for 16 years, which was a Honda CX 500
It's a Honda, enough said!
Not really sure of servicing costs yet as it was serviced before I bought it, by the dealer
Centre/main stand, fuel gauge, what more can you ask for? Mine has the Honda panniers fitted by the previous owner, which are very useful, although I've since found, very expensive

Brilliant service from Devon Wheels 2work/Devon Moto, £3295 advertised and had a great deal on private (non finance company) weekly payments

Great bike

11 June 2015 by jj

Hard to find fault with the bike. Have owned mine for 1year/9000 miles and it has not missed a beat. It will eat motorway miles, A roads, B roads, city and town work. A really good motorcycle that will do all you need and still put a smile on your... Read more face at the weekend.

Regular distance work with my wife on the rear, no issues other than rear seat is quite a bit higher than the front
Smooth, sounds great, will whisper around town or blast down the motorway. Ample power for 2 up plus luggage. 6 speed box is quite close geared meaning you might want to change down for any risky overtakes but all the power you will need in this lump
No problems as yet.
New tyres - Pirelli Angel, fantastic tyres for the bike
Could use slightly larger screen but apart from this it's great

Year introduced 2004
Year discontinued 2007
Original price £5,199
Engine type 16v inline four, 6 gears
Frame type Steel tube
Front suspension None
Rear suspension Preload
Front brake Twin 296mm discs

2004: Honda CBF600N (naked) launched, alongside a slightly pricier half-faired, Honda CBF600S, which came with a small fairing. Both have ABS options.
2006: colour changes only for the naked Honda CBF600. The faired Honda CBF600S gets indicator tweaks and updated mirrors, too.
2007: Model discontinued, replaced with new CBF600 for 2008.

Honda CBF600S: half-faired version of the standard CBF600N.
Honda CBF600SA: half-faired version of the standard CBF600N but with added ABS (otherwise known as the Honda CBF600S ABS).

• Honda CBF600 motorcycle review - Riding