KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE GT (2016 - on) Review

At a glance

Owners' reliability rating: 4.7 out of 5 (4.7/5)
Annual servicing cost: £680
Power: 173 bhp
Seat height: Medium (32.9 in / 835 mm)
Weight: Medium (452 lbs / 205 kg)

Prices

New £16,299
Used £8,400 - £15,400

Overall rating

Next up: Ride & brakes
4 out of 5 (4/5)

The Super Duke GT is a sports tourer that is genuinely capable of touring but with an emphasis on the sports element, which in-turn means fun, which it delivers by the bucket load.

Impressive power and torque combined with versatile WP semi-active suspension and class leading rider aids mean it has the personality and enjoyment of the Duke R but with added comfort and greater safety.

Getting to your destination in comfort has never been so much fun, but it will cost you more than the competition.

In May 2019 KTM announced you could install their suspension configuration from the latest version of the bike to this Superduke GT too, meaning better reaction, response and agility from the WP semi-active setup. Since the hardware is common between the two generations of bikes, it's a simple software change that takes 30 minutes of a dealer's time - so that's how much it costs.

The upgrade features new algorithms that triple the number of damping curves on offer, which KTM claim takes the strain off the bike's ECU. The Street riding mode has had the anti-dive feature removed, with the damping updated at the same time.

Ride quality & brakes

Next up: Engine
5 out of 5 (5/5)

Don’t let the upright riding position and panniers confuse you, this is a ballistic 173bhp V-twin.

With a full 23-litre fuel tank the GT initially feels a little top heavy but once on the move, and as the fuel depletes, the handling is impressive. The two road semi-active suspension settings Comfort and Street are designed for road riding, mainly to promote comfort, and safety rather than performance. The semi-active WP suspension works overtime to keep the bike level constantly changing compression and rebound on the move, and it works hard to reduce fork dive under heavy braking. It works really well, and is more than sufficient for fast road riding.

Whilst you’re having all this fun you have the peace of mind of safety in reserve thanks to the cornering ABS and traction control. The ABS is always constant, doesn’t change via the modes and can’t be changed on the move.  However, the traction control is linked to the rider modes, Sport, Street and Rain.

On the motorway the ergonomics feel natural, you’re sat in the bike not on top of it, the bars are wide and comfortable, and they’re also adjustable. The pegs aren’t up near your backside, and at motorway speed there’s little vibration from the twin.

Next up: Reliability
5 out of 5 (5/5)

The new GT uses the same LC8 engine platform as the Super Duke R and Super Adventure. The modified fly-by-wire motor now produces a claimed 173bhp, the same as the Super Duke R with a whopping 106ftlb of torque. While the figures match the R, the torque has moved lower in the rev range to suit the GT’s sports touring focus. There are also three rider modes (sport, street and rain) to help deliver all that power in the best possible way.

Reliability & build quality

Next up: Value
5 out of 5 (5/5)

The standard Super Duke, on which the GT is heavily based, has proven reliable, without any major issues. KTM has a growing reputation for producing reliable bikes and the quality and finish is high, as is the level of components used.

Value vs rivals

Next up: Equipment
3 out of 5 (3/5)

At £16,299 it’s a comparatively expensive way to tour at speed when you compare it to BMW’s award winning S1000XR; even Ducati’s all-new 2018 Multistrada 1260 is cheaper.

4 out of 5 (4/5)

Traction control, cornering ABS and WP semi-active suspension come as standard. The fuel tank has increased to 23l and the GT receives a manually adjustable screen. Additionally, there are heated grips, cruise control, quickshifter (up only) and tyre pressure sensors – all as standard. There’s even integrated indicators and adaptive LED cornering lights, which illuminate progressively dependant on the bike’s lean angle.

Specs

Engine type Liquid-cooled,V-twin
Frame type Steel trellis
Front suspension 48mm, WP Semi-active
Rear suspension Single WP Semi-active
Front brake 2 x 320mm discs with four-piston radial Bremob caliper.
Rear brake 240mm single disc with two-piston Brembo caliper.

Mpg, costs & insurance

Warranty term 2 years

Top speed & performance

1/4 mile acceleration -

MCN Long term test reports

Powerhouse packhorse: Bolt-on extras unlock a more practical side to the Super Duke GT

Equipped with a 1.3-litre V-twin and tipping the scales at a measured 236kg, you could be forgiven for thinking the KTM 1290 Super Duke GT would be a bit of a handful around town. Based on a Super Duke R and stuffed with more torque than a Ducati Panigale V4, I was just as surprised as you migh

Read the latest report

Owners' reviews for the KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE GT (2016 - on)

10 owners have reviewed their KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE GT (2016 - on) and rated it in a number of areas. Read what they have to say and what they like and dislike about the bike below.

Review your KTM 1290 SUPERDUKE GT (2016 - on)

Summary of owners' reviews

Overall rating: 4.6 out of 5 (4.6/5)
Ride quality & brakes: 4.9 out of 5 (4.9/5)
Engine: 4.7 out of 5 (4.7/5)
Reliability & build quality: 4.7 out of 5 (4.7/5)
Value vs rivals: 4.4 out of 5 (4.4/5)
Equipment: 4.8 out of 5 (4.8/5)
Annual servicing cost: £680
3 out of 5 Only for V2 fans. I hate the engine
19 October 2020 by Bernie

Year: 2017

I would not recommend it to a friend, because of the V2 engine.It may be comfy and fast, but in the real (slow) world the v2 engine rattles and shakes. Bought it used 2 Weeks ago and will sell it now. Hopefully i can buy a s1000R instead.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Good brakes. The chassis is ok. The suspension is excellent in sport mode. But it's not as stiff as a supersport bike. You cann feel the chassis get screwed by the engine in certain situation's

It's a V2 with inline four characteristic. The engine works from 4000 rpm on upwards. Below 3000 there is no working engine. Small speed range with long gears. The 5. and 6. gear are of no use.

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

I've driven it about 200 miles an had the first issue with the rev counter. That allways show plus 2.500 rpm.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

As a used bike it is quite cheap to buy and the running costs are not that high in germany due to the 15000km intervals

Quickshifter, heated Grips, abs traction control with imu, Elektric supension. Everything comes standard. Except blipper.That comes with the new modell.

Buying experience: Bought it used for a reasonable price.

4 out of 5 All the road bike you'll ever need
01 May 2020 by chrisontwowheels

Annual servicing cost: £700

In the real world you'll never need a faster bike. It's sports bike fast, has character, carves corners, has the ability to do serious miles and it'll keep you comfortable doing it. It's a practical commuter, composed and relaxed in an urban environment, capable of easy filtering due to its compact dimensions. Luggage capacity is decent and pillions report reasonable comfort. Service intervals are high (9k miles) which is just as well as dealer services aren't cheap. They seem solidly built, 30k miles on mine through all seasons with zero problems. On the negative side it goes through tyres quickly, its not particularly frugal, 40 mpg is average. Legs can get a little cramped if you're tall, also the screen keeps the wind blast off but generates turbulence, use earplugs for motorway. Suspension works really well in most situations, its not serviceable though so may be expensive at some point.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Sportsbike performance yet refined enough to be used in city traffic. A trackday brings out the best in this bike

Formidable power, somehow not intimidating

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

ridden all year round, 30k miles, nothing has fallen off. Some paint flaking on inner clutch cover

Value vs rivals 3 out of 5

interval servicing yourself will save you loads. Tyres, chains, sprockets make it expensive

everything you need, heated grips, cruse control, suspension modes, power modes

Buying experience: Dealers are expensive but good

5 out of 5 KTM 1290 Super Tourer Exceptional.
14 February 2020 by Quick Dick

Version: 1290 SuperDuke GT

Year: 2018

Annual servicing cost: £650

Before buying my sports tourer I did some serious testing of the other competition. This model left me with a super grin every time I took it out and wound it up. I found some things which tended to niggle me a bit but they didn’t stop the love affair. Quality finish along with versatility made the bike special. Long distances are a real buzz. Stripped naked on a Sunday morning provides most fun and grins. The Akrapovic exhaust is a must as the extra sound pleases and possibly adds to the performance. I found the standard Pirellis difficult to warm up on the roads and special care was needed when exiting mid speed corners. Currently on Michelins which are great in the dry but care needed in the wet. Braking is so balanced especially in Sport mode when the anti-dive is off with hard braking into bends an absolute dream and rear wheel drifting very controllable. Loaded with full luggage it makes a superb tourer. The heated gel seats (option) permit 6 - 8 hours a day.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

semi active suspension is a must when pushing the bike hard as it allows you to compensate for different road types. For example, sport mode will make the ride difficult when the road surface becomes uneven at speed, so just changing to street makes her more stable. Comfort mode is a welcome option when on a very bumpy minor road. Brakes are faultless when required. Engine braking is so good and controllable using MSR. I don’t use the quick shifter as I prefer to do everything myself. I don’t really carry a passenger but can ride for up to 8 hours a day with 3 breaks, depending on the type of ride/road.

The V twin took me about 20 minutes to get used to. Love the torque and power once you rev it out. 6th gear is almost never used at less than 60 so 5th gear gets a lot of use. You need to keep the revs in the right torque range for most fun but acceleration in 5th or 6th is very good for touring at mid range speeds. Even at 13.1:1 compression ration, standard unleaded performs superbly. Some guys use super high octane but the engine performs better on standard.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

Finish was superb with a blemish on the screen resulting in immediate replacement under warranty. No reliability issues however the battery sometimes seems to cause the starter to stall especially when the engine is hot. Optimate seems to help when garaged. No sign of corrosion any where however I am probably OTT with cleaning after the bike has been out and it lives in a heated garage.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

This price includes a set of tyres, additional oil and filter change as my preference. It can be hard on tyres but the massive torque and my riding style are probably to blame.

I purchased a lot of luggage for touring and I have to say that maybe doesn’t beat BMW in quality but it just works the way it is meant to. The easiest luggage to fit and remove that I have ever seen. Looks good as well. I have only scored 4 here as some of the instrumentation is a bit awkward, headlight could be better, screen is a bit lacking in protection, but doesn’t spoil the bike too much.

Buying experience: Purchased new from my local KTM dealer, McCallen Motorcycles. Sales team and Philip himself were great to deal with. I added a lot of extras but I was given a significant discount on these which was appreciated. When the 2019 model was launched I was asked to give this a good comparison test and I can honestly say that all the small niggles had been fixed, even down to the shape of the main beam switch which I keep catching and accidentally putting on main beam. As KTM were heavily discounting unsold 2018 models I could not afford the £6000 asking price to change, otherwise I would have made the swap. I would recommend anybody to give the Super Duke a serious consideration as I thoroughly enjoy my 1290 every time I start the engine. Thanks KTM.

5 out of 5 Very happy with my purchase of this 1290 GT
26 August 2019 by David Marquez

Version: GT

Annual servicing cost: £750

Versatile and comfortable, spectacular engine, 40 mpg seem reasonable for a 1.3 liter tremendous power-plant, sweet in low speed around town and super aggressive acceleration with open gas (capable of catching up with the new super-bikes). For me this has been an awesome opportunity of getting a brand new large engine touring bike which was in my list of favorites for only £12,300 (MY17 with zero miles purchased July 2019).

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

This 1290 SD GT is awesome at highway speeds and winding roads because it is light and chassis is superb (please consider my past bikes are older BMW GSAs 2003 and 2009 models, I have not ridden other sport touring bikes other than in short test rides). Excellent riding quality, just a little bit of vibration from the engine, nothing too bad (engine likes living in the 2nd half of the tachometer) Top level workmanship, no complaints. M50 Brembo brakes are top of the shelf, hands down (OEM brake pads are cheaper than those of the BMW R1200GSA which are also Brembos and they are even a more upscale model) WP semi active suspension is excellent with all the different programs (1-2 passengers, with or without panniers, sport, comfort, street, etc) Seat is more on the sporty that the touring side (have ridden in 3-4 hour rides and can stand it no problem but consider I come from doing that since more than 12 years ago). Have not ridden with passenger, sorry cannot speak about that.

Easy to ride around town, tons of torque and power when accelerating hard. Just to put in perspective, the engine at 100 mph feels as sleepy as my 2009 R1200GSA at 60 mph, what I mean is that a 100mph is barely waking up and does not even sound, it seems it is still shut down. Does not like to cruise at less than 3,000 rpms, as long as you keep it above that it will be a happy engine. Again, cruising around town in my 2009 R1200GSA you can shift at 2,000 rpms and keep it cool, you can do the same with the SD GT but at 3,000 rpm; at the end this bike is more for open road ah...?

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

Perfect so far, though only passed the 600 mile first service mark. I need to recognize that was a bit skeptical about KTM brand in general (no bad opinion only thoughtful) before I got this SD GT which was my first bike of the brand and so far, the brand´s quality, fit, finish, etc. has grown on me and at this moment with only 600 mile and zero issues I can say it is as premium as BMW bikes; I know time will tell. Also I have been investigating on long term 1190s/1290s but only found 50/60K miles bikes which have been impeccable but are still on the low mile side ah...?

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

This amount only reflects 1 year insurance (expensive from my point of view) because 600 mile revision was complimentary (see the note below) This 1290 SD GT 2017 was purchased 1 month ago (July 2019) with zero miles under a special promotion from local dealer (£ 12,300 including side panniers, 600 mile service, 1 Shark full face helmet)

Would add hand guards for wind protection; I think the 2019 model has them from factory already. The foot pegs could be larger (I am seeking to upgrade) because OEM are more on the sport type) The seat is not too bad, although more sporty than touring I ordered the touring comfort seat before the new bike was delivered and once I rode it I cancelled the touring comfort seat because I changed my mind and it is no need for the 3-4 hr rides I do.

Buying experience: Experience with the KTM dealer was perfect. All promises were delivered. Consider this was a MY17 zero mile purchased new in July 2019, free 600 mile service #1, 1 Shark helmet and side panniers (excellent value for £12,300). I think this was a lot of 15-18 bikes which KTM Mexico got from KTM US, but absolutely uncommon pricing offer, and thanks to that I am enjoying my new SD GT even 2017 model I do not care, I love it.

01 June 2019 by Faisal

Year: 2019

One of the best bikes I have ever driven or owned. The power, comfort, handling, and reliability (for the time being), it is just perfect. The only downside of the bike is that it is HOT, and when I say hot I mean REALLY HOT. I have decated and tuned the bike but there is no way of getting away from that heat from the rear cylinder. Your calves will get somewhere from medium well done to extremely well done depending on the ambient temperature. And I rider in 40 - 50 degrees Celsius weather. I haven't had the chance to try it in the winter yet. The temeperature in winter here drops to around 10-15 degrees Celsius, so I don't think the heat should be a problem in the winter. I purchased the side bags for my Super Duke GT and they have decent space l. A full face helmet will fit in each luggage compartment snuggly. Nevertheless, the heat does not stop me from riding this bike every single day. It is just that good. Power is there when you need it, the handling is pinpoint perfect, and the suspension comfort along with rider comfort features make this bike the best sport tourer I have ever ridden. You won't regret purchasing one.

5 out of 5 Don't buy an adventure bike
26 May 2019 by Richard Long

Annual servicing cost: £1,000

Best features are everything about this bike other than the seat. The engine and fuel injection are sublime, suspension and brakes fantastic, cannot fault anything yet other than well yes, back to the seat - I have the optional ERGO seat on my GT which looks much better but after about an hour my ass is completely numb. Having sat on a stock seat I believe that may be even worse. How a manufacturer with such engineering abilities as KTM can produce a touring bike with a seat as bad as uncomfortable as this one is beyond me. I am considering buying an aftermarket air saddle which is just plain annoying. But as I said overall this bike is amazing, I love riding it and is exactly what I wanted - a high tech touring bike thst is a blast in the twisties.

Ride quality & brakes 4 out of 5

Giving the bike a 4 because of the seat. But that is probably a relatively cheap and easy fix. Have not had a pillion on the bike yet.

Power delivery, engine torque, its sublime. Some people I have spoken to were horrified at the 175hp numbers. But unless I am mistaken, even with all the electronic aids, one still has control of the throttle. The engine is fantastic, pulling out of turns at low RPM has me grinning from ear to ear and the engine braking is so good going into corners that quite often I don't need to touch the brakes. Plus the booming engine sound on overrun is addictive.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

So far so god. Early says yet

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

Not the cheapest bike out there but considering all the top of the line components, electronics and build quality the KTM Superduke GT is probably a decent value.

Heated grips Heated seat TFT dash / computer is awesome. Electronically set ride modes, suspension, miriad of options is exactly what I wanted. Engine Suspension Brakes

Buying experience: Dealer. Experience has been OK so far.

5 out of 5 The Refined Beast
17 May 2019 by Bill

Version: US

Year: 2019

Traded 2017 R1200GS for this and never looked back. Power and handling are amazing. Tears up twisties without a thought.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Ride all day with no complaints.

The bike never runs out of power or torque and sounds like it isn’t even working.

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

TFT, keyless ride, lean angle ABS, electronic suspension, TPMS, heat grips, bought optional heated comfort seats, cruise control. All functional and work as advertised.

5 out of 5 KTM 1290 Super Duke R review
12 May 2019 by Georg

Year: 2019

This bike performs in every setting. Be it on a cold day on alpine passes with heated grips and seat or on a trackday with specialised trackday bikes. Out of the corners it outperforms most racebikes! It is a do it all bike and you can really load it for a long trip, commute, or go on a trackday. Solo or two-up, bags or without, touring or racing, commuting or strolling, B-roads or highway. It has it all to excel everywhere.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

The active suspension is great. Whatever situation it will master it. Brakes are pretty good and even after a long trackday they haven't changed in performance.

If you like two cylinders this is the most powerful and refined you can find. Coming from a big Ducati, this motor is sublime. It hits you out of the curve but you can also cruise without loosing your teeth. On trackdays it gets you out of curves a lot quicker than most four-cylinder bikes.

Reliability & build quality 5 out of 5

I've covered 2000km so far, with 500 of those trashing on a racetrack and I've had no faults whatsoever. Everything seems bolted on and stable. Even the side bags are sturdy and fit two helmets.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

Until now it seems good value. On a racetrack it is less thirsty than other bikes.

Get the heated seats and track electronics and you have all what you need.

Buying experience: It’s 3 months since I bought it and I just love it more every day. It is so easy to ride and handle, but also so comfortable in any circumstances. The looks needs a bit of time, but then you could not imagine it any different.

4 out of 5 18 months living with a 1290 GT
13 June 2018 by anotheronetoday

Annual servicing cost: £300

Very good but not perfect

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Brakes give good feel and confidence, handling is good for a bike this size. With the active suspension great 1 or 2 up, luggage or no luggage. At high speeds i found the screen and my helmet incompatible with significant turbulance. Seat height a bit on high side (inside leg 30")

Torque, Torque plus some more Torque Easy to ride in and out of town as smooth in low gears at low speeds and minimal changes required for overtaking

Reliability & build quality 4 out of 5

Panel fit is poor for a bike at this price point only failure light switch

Value vs rivals 4 out of 5

Depreciation is by far the biggest cost when buying new as you might expect so insurance, service etc are irrelevant.

Bad standard exhaust looks terrible (fix akrapovic but expensive) Seat not up to long distances (comfort seat is better plus 1-2 hours extra) Headlight poor for fast bike the LED 790 and 390 are better. Good Clear display Good optional electronic add ons very wide range of luggage and power parts

Buying experience: Great experience from a well known main dealer

5 out of 5 Would buy it again!
05 June 2018 by After75

Year: 2018

Paint quality could be better here and there, but overall it is a laugh to ride and comfortable enough not being a super enduro.

Ride quality & brakes 5 out of 5

Great all-round bike, you have to be shot to get off it especially with the optional heated gel seats.

State of art, a sweet bull with much less vibrations than Ducati's 1200 for example.

Value vs rivals 5 out of 5

Fuel consumption is great for the engine it has.

Suspension and cruise control are great, maybe the panniers could be a little better when closed.

Buying experience: First bike that brought me into the orange world, great availability and courtesy for test rides, really well done KTM, keep up the good work!