This spy shot sugggests Ducati will release a revamped Hypermotard for 2019, with a new engine that paves the way for a major makeover of the Italian firm’s middleweight range. As well as what looks like a new motor, there’s refreshed styling and twin silencers with underseat exhausts.
While the Hypermotard isn’t one of the UK’s biggest sellers it is very popular in Europe and this bike is evidence that Ducati will continue with it into the next phase of Euro5 regulations, due to be introduced in 2020.
Speaking at the unveiling of the 2019 Diavel, Ducati’s Project Manager Eugenio Gherardi admitted that hitting Euro5 was “a very big challenge for every manufacturer.” To gain compliance, carbon monoxide, CO2 and NOX emissions are heavily reduced, as is noise.
This Hypermotard is proof that Ducati are preparing for it; the underseat pipes are an obvious sign. Previously the Hyper ran the silencing and cat in the same unit, but now they’re separated, allowing space for a larger cat and possibly a primary silencer before the gasses pass through secondary underseat baffling.
Just changing the position of the pipe’s outlets has been enough for some manufacturers to get through noise tests. It is likely a new Supersport or Multistrada will share a similar concept.
Introduction of DVT?
One of the benefits of Ducati’s DVT system, as seen on the Multistrada 1260 and 2019 Diavel, is that it allows a motor to be tuned for optimum emissions efficiency though a wide rev range.
Stringent regulations mean that this will become more commonplace, even if it isn’t introduced straight away. But definitely expect a modest capacity increase by 2020 for the Supersport and middleweight Multistrada models, too.
5 observations from the spied Ducati
- 1. Underseat pipes allow silencing and emissions kit to be separated, giving more space to both.
- 2. What looks like a 5.5in rear wheel and low seat show the bike will retain its midweight credentials.
- 3. This bike retains the base Hyper’s Marzocchi/Sachs suspension. Expect an Öhlins- equipped S.
- 4. A steel tubular trellis rear subframe replaces the cast unit that was used before.
- 5. The clutch cover and right-hand crankcase cover are likely to have been beefed up for more silencing.
And if you so happen to be looking for your next bike, browse MCN Bikes For Sale.